All parent member reviews for Pacific Rim

Parent Written by8to15 July 14, 2013

Think Twice Before Taking Little Ones

The synopsis does not provide accurate information about this movie by soft-pedaling the violence and death... The most aggregious errors are that a number of characters die in this movie (9 by my count), one of which occurs in a horrible scenario that has emotional remifications for the lead character through the rest of the movie, and another somewhat graphically, both of which involve being eaten. The amount of blood exceeds that depicted in the synopsis, though not by much. The creatures are scary enough to inspire nightmares, terrifying in some instances. Parents be cautioned, it's a good and exciting movie but its not for the little ones or those with sensitive souls. I nearly took my intelligent but sensitive 8 year old who did fine with the action and violence in Ironman 3 and Man of Steel based on the synopsis, and that would have been an error because I found this movie to be more disturbing than those others two.
Parent Written bythatmoviedude July 14, 2013

pacific rim

pacific rim is awesome! tons of fighting punching and propoty damage and in one scene a jaeeger rips out a kajui's tongue . very mild swearing like once very 40 minutes they might say a curse word but you might just miss it because of the awesome fight scenes
Parent Written byDuggles July 16, 2013

Finally.

It was nice to have a film that spoke to the positive aspects of humanism. Our ability to stand up and help each other, to come together. It's rare in current media to have a film actually aimed at children in that awkward preteen age that promotes a positive message. It can be pulpy in the dialogue, and parts are a little dark, but overall I really appreciated characters that went beyond the typical Hollywood good-guy bad-guy mentality. As a Dad of two young girls, it was also nice to have a feminine, but strong, female lead that was in the film for more than the purpose of constant rescuing and eye candy. Honestly, this is the big action Hollywood film that has the wholesome values people have been asking for. I highly recommend it for families, maybe not super young kids, but ten and above should be fine (stay through the first part of the credits). Loved it!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byxmen45 July 19, 2013

Great!!!!

This movie, Pacific Rim is not another silly summer fantasy action movie. It actually has a story. The movie with previews has a run time of 2hrs 30min. It is slow moving, and yet entertaining. All the action is giant robots pummeling each other with high-tech weapons. Hong Kong is ripped to pieces by opposing and friendly (to human) robots. It is LOUD and will blow your ear drums out if you see it in IMAX-3D. Other than that, the movie was great and great for kids over 10.
Adult Written byJEDI micah July 19, 2013

Godzilla meets Transformers!

This is an awesome movie! Nothing like giant robots controlled by humans defending Earth from giant alien monsters coming from the Pacific Ocean! While there are some scenes that could've kept up the pace, the battle scenes are amazingly loud and frenetically impressive! Nice movie!
Parent Written byreviews for the win September 2, 2013

pacific rim

this is one of my favorite movies of the year and something I would definitely buy on blu ray .
Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written bynvr2latemom August 13, 2013

Dumb and pointless

A week after seeing this movie, and all I can remember is the weak/predictable plot line, excessive noise (mostly at battle scenes) + excessive violence (obviously). I could have walked out of this movie because it was just not entertaining and was overly loud, however, it was a family outing with our teenagers (each of whom liked the movie).
Educator Written bySTLCLibrarian July 27, 2013

Epic Metal/Lizard Smashing Goodness

All the standard character archetypes..hot shot pilot, every man pilot, brilliant undiscovered pilot, strong impenetrable leader, comical scientists, underworld kingpin, but the friendship, interplay and motivation of the characters was stronger and better conceived than I expected. I liked the plot, giant monsters coming out of the ocean, the vastness of the ocean, the scale of the Jaegar and the giant lizards. I thought the idea of "drift" and partner pilots and robot generations was interesting and helped move the story along well. If your child is into martial arts, he will love the martial arts basis of the fighting. Very cool. It was more than just massive robot/lizard fist fighting although there were a few times were I was ready to move on. Much better than I expected, a super fun movie.
Parent Written byTrishBarnes August 29, 2013

Respect for others exemplified

A refreshing action pic in which the characters consciously treat each other with respect. There is only one character who acts like a jerk, and his story becomes one of redemption through sacrifice. No super-cheap laughs but instead characters are driven by their desire to do the right thing for all of humanity. Even at the end, where other movies would force the male and female lead into a sloppy kiss, this one has them hug, heart to heart.
Parent of a 4 and 12 year old Written byChachi007 January 14, 2014

Excellent sci fi action for older kids.......(vague spoiler alert)

Just watched this with my 12 year old son. It really is pure "robot vs. monster" insanity. Human violence is not too bad but there are some very intense moments of peril and heroic self sacrifice. I can EASILY see this movie scaring the pants of some younger viewers with a fear of big monsters. They are larger than buildings, very "realistic" looking and vicious. Language can get a bit rough but nothing "in your face". Sex, nothing more than passing glances between characters and some suggested things, really nothing to worry about. There are some great "father/son" moments between two characters, honor/self sacrifice, overcoming fear and adversity, teamwork, forgiveness.......a LOT of good things to be found here although you might have to dig a bit under the special effects and action to truly see it. But it is definitely there. I would put this in a class with destruction/action movies similar to Transformers or Independence Day. A few "iffy" moments here or there, but nothing really that bad to worry about. Sum up - Awesome popcorn flick with incredible special effects, great characters, good messages but with a few things maybe too intense for the younger crowd....... High rental here!!!
Adult Written byJohnem95 July 29, 2013

The perfect definition of a "Summer popcorn flick".

If your child is into monsters (or dinosaurs), robots, or anything giant, chances are that your child will be asking you to take them to see Pacific Rim. Think of Pacific Rim as a film version of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots (with humans controlling the robots' movements inside the machine) meets a Godzilla film - with the giant robots and giant monsters squaring off at sea. As you'd expect, there's plenty of violence here, but not to worry - there's very little blood/gore aside from maybe one scene that takes place in Alaska in which a character appears to be beaten up pretty badly; but even that isn't all that gruesome - and the character winds up surviving. There are a couple deaths to a few more minor characters, though. One character suffers frequent nosebleeds. Most of the violence here involves strong punches and crashes involving the brawling robots and giants, which your kids will probably get quite the kick out of. There are a couple of startling scenes that should be noted - one involving a dream sequence in which a little girl is being chased by the monsters (which is a rather intense scene), and another one or two involving the monsters unexpectedly appearing out of nowhere and attacking the robots or locals. Language is fairly mild with the exception of the two b-words and the s-word being used a couple different times. Sex isn't really an issue aside from some flirting. There are positive messages and role models to be had with this film, as well - especially a message involving teamwork and how it is important to work together to accomplish what may seem impossible - and make it possible. There's also a strong female lead. Overall, Pacific Rim is the perfect definition of a "Summer popcorn flick"; and it is certainly one that your kid will enjoy due to it's gigantic scale, spectacular special effects, and amazing action. Just make sure they can handle those loud noises!