We think this movie stands out for:
A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this movie.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about Pacific Rim's violence. Does it have the same kind of impact as more realistic fighting/destruction? Could the movie have succeeded with less violence?
- Director Del Toro has said he wanted to make a "movie for kids." Did he succeed? Which parts seem right for kids, and which don't?
- What's admirable about the main characters? How about the scientist characters? Are any of them role models?
- The movie uses an international cast, is set all over the world, and is about different cultures coming together for a common cause. How does it succeed in this message? Does it use any stereotypes?
How did teamwork help the characters realize their goal? If you'd been part of the team, which character(s) would you have wanted to work with? Why?
- In theaters: July 12, 2013
- On DVD or streaming: October 15, 2013
- Cast: Charlie Day, Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba
- Director: Guillermo Del Toro
- Studio: Warner Bros.
- Genre: Action/Adventure
- Topics: Monsters, Ghosts, and Vampires, Robots
- Character strengths: Teamwork
- Run time: 131 minutes
- MPAA rating: PG-13
- MPAA explanation: sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence throughout, and brief language
- Last updated: September 20, 2019
Our editors recommend
For kids who love sci-fi thrillers
Find more movies that help kids build character.
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.
Streaming options powered by JustWatch