Parent reviews for Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth Poster Image

The best spanish movie

1 person found this helpful.
1 person found this helpful.

They swear in spanish

Brilliant

I saw this amazing movie with my 15 year old son and he really liked it and handle it very good. I think for teenagers 15 and up it's fine. Violence: 7/10 Sex:2/10 Drugs: 6/10 Swearing 8/10

My favorite.

While it is violent it has wonderful story of magic and doing the right thing during time of stress.

Pan's Labyrinth--A Mature Fantasy

"Pan's Labyrinth" in itself is what I would call a "mature" fantasy; that is it's for children who are old enough and mature enough to handle mature, adult themes as well as the violence that evolves in order to depict real life. The visual effects are amazing and the storytelling is smart , although to complex for younger children to comprehend. It's a thinking movie also; the complexity of the human condition and the negative capabilities people have, but the movie ends on a "hopeful" note which is a powerful element of effective story telling. This film definitely fits the bill as a "mature fantasy".

A hauntingly beautiful masterpiece: a fairytale for grown-ups

It might seem like a fairytale but this movie is not suitable for kids or younger teenagers. There’s blood, creepy and scary monsters, graphic images of torture and murder (a man’s face is destroyed with a glass bottle, amputation, several people are shot, bloody bullet wounds, etc.). At its core, “Pan’s Labyrinth” is about a young girl coping with the Spanish Civil War that’s happening around her so she makes up this dark fairytale in her head. It’s a very intricate movie filled with symbolism and complex themes (war, fascism, etc.) younger audiences won’t understand. The soundtrack and the cinematography are hauntingly beautiful.