All parent member reviews for ParaNorman

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byParatrooperWife August 17, 2012

Won't be purchasing this one, even though my 7 and 9 year old liked it.

Scariness was not my concern one bit in this movie, even though there were jumpy parts. I took our 9 and 7 year old and in the end I left the movie theater just shaking my head. Kids and grownups will enjoy the movie, but there were a lot of things that I felt were inappropriate for the younger crowd. Luckily, most went over their heads, but my mother and I were shocked. There was one part when a guy "ppsst" from behind a statue to call a kid over and the other kid said, "Hey, that guy just pissed (ppsst) at you!" A sister saying her brother sucks. Lots of bullying in the beginning. All the kids holding hands to make a stand and a boy putting his hand on the girl's butt instead (you don't see it, but you know by how she reacts and what she says). At the end, the boy that the sister has been pining over (blatantly looking him over, teenage flirting, etc) mentions his boyfriend. Now, I have NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with homosexuality and have mentioned it briefly with our kids. I just wish they could have left out jokes like that in a movie geared towards younger kids. I always talk with my kids about the movies we see and discuss anything that would be an issue. This movie just seems to have WAY too many things to have to talk about in a short period of time. My hand was on my forehead or mouth dropped open in shock a lot. I just never expected all the teenage/adult humor in it. For parents that are not wanting to expose their kids to things like this, stay away from this movie. On a positive note, the overall message of the story is good and the effects are really amazing. We saw it in 2D.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 8 year old Written bymama2mbg December 6, 2012

narrow minded parents create narrow minded bullies

I loved this movie as did my children. We watched it as a family and laughed throughout the entire thing. I rated it on "pause" because I feel you should know your child for any movie you would see. Throughout the movie I heard things like "Mama, she said a bad word!", followed by giggling. Another comment was "I think bullies are mean...maybe they feel sad about something." The zombies did not scare them because they like zombies (part of why we chose a zombie movie to begin with) My favorite comment was from my youngest daughter "He's gonna have a gay family just like us Mama!" What is sad to me is the fact that something that made my daughters feel good about our family, is making so many other people upset. Homosexuality is not about sex, it is about love. The comment about a boyfriend liking a certain type of movie is not inappropriate. A parent explaining gay sex to their child is inappropriate. My daughters know no more about my sex life than any child knows about their straight parents sex life. We don't discuss sex with our children because they are too young. We do however teach them that love comes in many forms and they are all ok. I wish parents that are afraid of homosexuality or view it as something that needs major explanation, would stop and think about the children in gay families. Bullying exists because of fear and ignorance. My children will most likely face bullying in their life because they have two moms...that is not the fault of any child, it is a direct result of careless and ignorant parenting. If the mention of boyfriend made you fear for your child, please know that it will be your child that is bullying mine.
Parent Written byPurpleMaya August 17, 2012

Surprising sexual themes

I was somewhat disturbed by three scenes, which were inappropriate for my 9 and 7 year old children. The first involved Norman casually remarking that he was watching "sex and violence" to which his mother responds "oh, that's nice.". The second involved one of the friends staring at a paused tape showing an aerobics instructor bent over with her butt in the camera. The final scene involved one of the kids grabbing the sister on the butt, which only provokes a mild rebuke. None of these messages seem appropriate, and I question what they subtly suggest to my daughter about her worth or her right to control how others treat her body.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bystarprince August 18, 2012

Too Adult for children

I did not care for the sexual tone to this movie. I did not like the way one of the story line ended with one of the main characters revealing that he was gay. I believe that is something that parents and children should discuss..
Parent Written bypeach30 August 17, 2012

leave the little ones at home

I took my 9 & 10 year olds and they enjoyed this movie very much. I am really glad that I left my 5 year old at home. There were parts that made you jump, but was more concerned about the language, suggestive sexual content and some scary scenes towards the end. I would recommend for older kids only. Good message provided that being different is OK. Worth watching.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bySraesc November 16, 2012

Wonderful messages of acceptance, tolerance, and forgiveness

This is one of the best family movies I have seen in a long time. I am saddened and angered by many of the reviews I have read by other parents here on CommonSense.org. First, I agree with the other reviewer who said that people should really read reviews or screen the movie themselves before taking their children. That's what PG means -- parental guidance suggested. I think it is very sad that the rating here has been downgraded SO MUCH because of all the homophobic people who have written reviews here. This is a wonderful movie. Yes, there is bullying. Guess what: The real world has bullying too. Yes, there is some questionable language. Guess what: The real world has that, too. Unless you never turn on the television in your home and your kids are homeschooled, then they have probably heard those words before. Yes, there was some sexual content. But for the most part, this is over the heads of any children but those old enough to understand and put it in the appropriate context. And yes, one of the characters references his boyfriend in the end. Guess what: there are gay people in the real world, too. If you say you "have no problem with homosexuals," but don't want your children to know about it, then that means you do have a problem with homosexuals. And that is just wrong. There are loving gay couples everywhere in this world. The PTO president at my children's school is a happily married lesbian. She and her wife adopted four siblings who were removed from their biological mother. They are wonderful parents and community members. So all of the kids in my daughter's kindergarten class know that Janie has two moms. None of them seem to struggle with that information. There are all kinds of families, and all kinds of families are beautiful. This is a wonderful film about tolerance, acceptance, and forgiveness. Yes, the storyline of the little girl being hanged as a witch is heavy, which is why this movie is for older kids. Unlike many parents on here, I did a lot of research before deciding whether to even take my 9 year old. And I am so glad I did. A wonderful movie that preaches acceptance, not hatred. Apparently that message went over the heads of many parents on this site.
Parent Written bynorcal15 August 17, 2012

Not Too Scary

Okay yes there are jump scenes, but what's great is the zombies, ghost's aren't scary looking, they come off comical. My 4 yr old laughed so much. He enjoyed this movie more than Brave. It all depends on your child of course. To me Coraline was more dark. This movie is a great movie, and my 4 yr old loved it , and wants to see it again. I don't agree with the above review that " frightful zombies with body parts flapping and falling off" They are very comical.
Parent Written byMerrit August 31, 2012

WARNING: DO NOT TAKE YOUR KIDS TO SEE PARANORMAN!

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILDREN TO SEE THIS MOVIE! IT IS NOT FOR KIDS, OR ANYONE! IT SHOULD NOT BE RATED PG! AT ITS HEART, IT IS ABOUT A GIRL WHO WAS MURDERED BY A GROUP OF TOWNSPEOPLE BECAUSE SHE WAS DIFFERENT, AND THEN ENDS UP HAUNTING THE TOWN FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS. SHE CURSES THE TOWNSPEOPLE WHO MURDERED HER SO THAT THEY WILL RISE FROM THE GRAVE AS ZOMBIES, AND BE MOBBED BY THE CURRENT TOWNSPEOPLE. AFTER YOU GET PAST THE INITIAL INCREDIBLY SCARY SCENE OF A ZOMBIE GOING AFTER A WOMAN TO EAT HER BRAINS (A ZOMBIE MOVIE WITHIN A ZOMBIE MOVIE WATCHED BY THE MAIN CHARACTER, NORMAN), THERE ARE MORE SCARY SCENES OF ZOMBIES (THE CURSED TOWNSPEOPLE) COMING AFTER THE CURRENT RESIDENTS, WHO TURN ON THE ZOMBIES AND ATTACK THEM. BUT THE ABSOLUTE WORST AND SCARIEST PART IS WHEN THE MAIN CHARACTER, NORMAN, TRIES TO GO TO TALK TO THE GHOST OF THE DEAD GIRL, WHO IS ANGRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO HER AND TRIES TO ATTACK HIM. HE EVENTUALLY CALMS HER BY GETTING HER TO REMEMBER THE GOOD THINGS IN HER LIFE, SO THAT SHE CAN PASS OVER PEACEFULLY. SO IT HAS A HAPPY ENDING, RIGHT? WRONG! THIS MOVIE AND ALL THE CHARACTERS IN IT ARE CRUDE AND VULGAR, WITH ABSOLUTELY NO REDEEMING QUALITY. NORMAN IS CRUELLY AND RELENTLESSLY BULLIED BY OTHER KIDS. NORMAN'S PARENTS AND OLDER SISTER BELITTLE HIM. HIS SISTER PORTRAYS TEENAGE GIRLS IN THE WORST POSSIBLE LIGHT--DUMB, CONCEITED, SELFISH, WALKING AROUND IN A MIDRIFF WITH A PIERCED NAVAL, CONSTANTLY ON A CELL PHONE, THINKING ONLY OF HERSELF AND BOYS. THE STUPID AND MEAN FOOTBALL PLAYER SHE SALIVATES OVER THROUGHOUT THE FILM ENDS UP BEING GAY. THERE ARE NO POSITIVE ROLE MODELS FOR GIRLS WHATSOEVER IN THIS MOVIE. AS STATED ALREADY, THE MAIN FEMALE CHARACTER WAS MURDERED BY THE TOWNSPEOPLE FOR BEING DIFFERENT, CURSES HER MURDERERS SO THAT THEY WILL RISE FROM THE DEAD, HAUNTS THE TOWN FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS, AND NEARLY KILLS NORMAN, BEFORE BEING URGED BY HIM TO "THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS." THIS MOVIE IS THE WORST SO-CALLED "KIDS' MOVIE" I HAVE EVER SEEN. I WALKED OUT BEFORE THE END, FUMING, AND COMPLAINED TO THE WOMAN AT THE FRONT DESK THAT THIS MOVIE IS NOT FOR KIDS; SHE AGREED WITH ME COMPLETELY. I AM SO ANGRY THAT THIS MOVIE IS BEING MARKETED AS A KIDS MOVIE, AND IS RATED PG; IT SHOULD BE NEITHER. MAKING A HORROR FILM IN STOP-GAP ANIMATION DOES NOT MAKE IT A MOVIE FOR KIDS, OR ANY LESS HORRIBLE. I WILL NEVER AGAIN LET MY KIDS WATCH A MOVIE THAT I HAVE NOT VIEWED FIRST -- THAT IS ON ME. I WAS NOT WARNED, SO I WANT TO WARN OTHERS: STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE, AND DEMAND BETTER FROM MOVIE MAKERS AND THE MOVIE RATINGS BOARD.
Adult Written byroyalraven August 19, 2012

Inappropriate Content For Children

I was disappointed that a movie that is marketed toward young children would have inappropriate language and sexual content added. The grandmother calls her son "jackass" and when discussing cursing Norman says " the F-word" which if a child knows "the F-word" they are going to think of that very word or your child may ask what he meant by "the F-word". The attitude that bullies won't stop so we should just accept it and live with them is promoted by the victim of school bullies. The overt sexual shots of women pointing their backsides to the camera. My son asked "Why do all the female characters have such big rearends?" One boy intentionally grabs a teen girl's rearend (not shown but obvious by her reaction and comment) same boy complains about being locked in a library when they could have been in the Adult Video store across the street. Muscle bound jock tells teenage girl (who has been throwing herself at him throughout the movie) that he will introduce her to his "boyfriend." Townspeople viciously attack the walking dead in all manner of violent ways. Norman tells his mother he has been watching "sex and violence" on tv. I won't be buying the DVD for our home. If I had known about the inappropriate images and dialog I wouldn't have taken my child to see this film. The makers of this film clearly promote ParaNorman for children but it is not a kid's movie.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bybprecruiting August 18, 2012

dislike

Too much sexual innuendo! Also my five year old said "I want to leave" during the loud scary parts.
Parent Written byKMM5 August 1, 2013

Definitely not for kids! Very disappointed.

If I had taken a kid that was 13 or over this would have POSSIBLY been a good movie, but since it was rated PG I took my 9 year old. It terrified her. We had to leave the theatre. The comercials make it look like it's a happy little movie where friendly ghosts help a boy save his town. While there are some friendly ghosts, there is also a little demon child who reminds me of the girl from The Ring. The scenes with this girl are extremely scary. On top of that, there is cursing, drinking, and smoking. A teenage girl spends the entire movie throwing herself at a teenage boy, who turns out to be gay. A younger boy spends the movie trying to (apparently) get into the teenage girl's pants, even slapping her bottom at one point. I was very disappointed by this movie. I think they tried to combine jokes to entertain adults while still keeping the kids engaged. The thing is - in most movies that do this the jokes go over the kids' heads. These jokes are blatantly obvious to any kid over about the age of 6. If we had not carpooled to the movie we would have left and gone home, but as it was we had to leave the theatre several times because it was too scary. This should have been rated PG13 all along. To be honest, I'm not sure I would have been comfortable seeing it when I was 13.
Parent of a 5 and 12 year old Written byMamaBearWatching August 22, 2012

Scary...bad humor NOT appropriate for kids under 10.

I was shocked that this was rated PG, it should be PG-13. What was wrong with it...Norman walks into the kitchen and one of the parents asked what he was watching and he said sex and violence. The uncle was hiding behind a statue and goes "Psst" and the kid said "Someone is Pssting at/on us". You KNOW what it was suppose to sound like. When the boy was to promise something the adult goes "Now swear" and Norman goes "You mean say the "F" word". The bully hits Norman in the "boob" and yes, that word was said 3 times. So look for that NOW to be a problem in the school yards. And at the end of the movie when the older sister of Norman asked the older brother of Norman's friend out, he replies "Sure, my boyfriend loves chickflicks". Not to mention the over the top violence when the witch body slams Norman over and over. It's is a very dark, gothy type cartoon. I would say it is for kids 10+.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMamaBearNJ August 18, 2012

Your Mileage May Vary

What's scary -- and what's too scary -- can be very individual. While I probably would have been utterly freaked out by a movie like this when I was a kid, my 9-year-old LOVED Paranorman, and I also appreciate it. Once you get past the creepy crawlies (of which there are plenty), Paranorman is a movie with its heart in the right place. Norman, a kid who sees and talks to ghosts, has to use his dubious gift to save the town from a threat no one else really believes in: a curse laid on the town during a colonial witch-hunt. Meanwhile, Norman is something of a witch-hunt victim himself. Branded a "freak," Norman is bullied at school and misunderstood at home. The nastiness of his peers is very believable; children who are dealing with bullies or feeling isolated at school may either find this comfortingly "relatable" or too close for comfort. At first Norman's isolation makes him angry at the world, but a sweet-natured fellow outcast, Neil, insists on befriending him and remains loyal through all the strange events of the movie. Neil's nonaggressive response to bullies and loyal friendship toward Norman establish a subtle but important moral grounding that runs through the whole movie: others may do evil, but doing evil in return doesn't help anything. I believe this is a powerful and much-neglected message that is worth a few gross-outs to encounter. Ultimately, despite the yucky severed arms, this isn't a movie about fighting zombies: as unlikely as it seems, Paranorman is a movie about understanding and forgiveness. I recommend it highly to strong-stomached adults, teens, and tweens.
Parent Written byMarilyn0311 October 9, 2014

I can't believe the "Agenda" has stooped so low! You got TRICKED into buying your Ticket!

I hated this movie SO much that I went as far as making this Petition. I then closed it because I realized that we, as a society has become so brain washed it's a waist of time. ---------------- PETITION Located http://www.change.org/p/content-transparency-of-pg-pg13-movies-primetime... For many of us a PG rating would be: · The Lorax · Tangled · A Christmas Carol · The Muppets · The Sorceress Apprentice And a PG13 rating is more along the lines of · Pirates of the Caribbean · Spiderman · Marvel’s The Avengers · Jurassic Park. However, PARANORMAN" and NBC television series set to air on primetime September 11, 2012, "THE NEW NORMAL". This is a Petition for FULL CONTENT TRANSPARENCY & RATING REFORM of movies and Primetime TV, in particular Children’s entertainment. THE NEW NORMAL Video: http://www.nbc.com/the-new-normal/video/redefining-traditional/1401395 PARANORMAN Trailor: (NONE of the content mentioned above was included in the trailor) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1RXm81AsNo&feature=list_other&playnext=1... This by far is NOT intended to offend anyone or any community. WE, the parents & guardians of children simply want “Full Content Transparency” and accurate ratings. It is our right to be fully informed and to choose IF, WHEN, HOW, and WHAT type of information/content we decide to expose or not expose our children to. Furthermore, it is the obligation of the Entertainment Industry and those who set the ratings to be transparent about content. The LIABILITY UNTIMATELY rests on them to accurately advise us prior to exposure. THEY are our first set of eyes and ears and this is why these organizations exist! At the present time the description for PG & PG13 ratings is VERY vague and states “Parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children.” However, NOWHERE on the programming advertising/marketing does it specify “WHAT” material. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW “WHAT” MATERIAL. In particular when Explicit Sexual Content is involved (such as the words sex, condoms, intercourse, etc..). This rating would best be described as SC (Explicit Sexual Content). Moreover, if there is any Homosexual/Bi-sexual (LGBT) material whether implied, direct, or indirectly; there should be a SO (sexual orientation) rating for that subject. We feel this works well for ALL communities and all walks of life as these ratings would allow us ALL, as individuals to make the choice to sensor or not sensor our children. Many of us took our children to see Paranorman and were surprised this was a PG rating. The first 5-10 minutes of the movie the mom ask the boy what he is watching on TV, The eight-ish year old boy response to his mom "SEX AND VIOLENCE". This response was EXTREMELY inappropriate! This should have been rated with an SC Rating (Explicit Sexual Content). At the end of the movie the teen-aged "Macho Man" character tells a teen-aged girl "You're gonna like my Boyfreind; he's like a total chick-flick nut". A rating of SO (Sexual Orientation) would have accuratley cautioned the viewers. If you agree with me on “FULL CONTENT TRANSPARENCY” & RATING REFORM for Children... Please: 1) Take a stand with me!! Please SIGN & SHARE this petition!! 2) GET YOUR MONEY BACK on the theater tickets (just like I did). If you purchased tickets at Cobb Theater their corporate number is (205) 802-7766. If you visited another please complain to your Theater Corporate Office. 3) CALL the "MPAA" Motion Picture Association of America (The organization that sets the ratings on movies) (818) 995-6600. Ask them to change the rating on Paranorman & Reform the PG & PG13 ratings to include SC (Explicit Sexual Content) & SO (Sexual Orientation). 4) Finally, remember that sharing is caring. Please help spread the word, email, blog, facebook, twitter, call, etc... Also, PLEASE feel free to provide your "REASONS FOR SIGNING". It is important that the MPAA know why you care.
Parent Written byajane_c April 9, 2013

Great movie!

Personally I thought this movie was really good. Yes, there was a few sexual references but ultimately this movie had a positive message and my child loves it. She asks to watch it everyday and she is under 5. For all the parents that have kids that are 10 and above that think this is too harsh, your children are probably learning more from other kids about sex and drugs then they will from this movie. Also, there is more harmful shows on tv then this movie. This movie shows a young boy who, against all odds, saves his town and becomes a hero even though he may be the weird kid. This shows that just because you are different doesn't mean that you wont amount to greatness.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byM382 August 20, 2012

Oh boy. Wishing we'd checked here first.

Oh my gosh - Cute movie, overall, but the LANGUAGE. Wow. That was the WORST. Couldn't believe those making this movie thought bad words would make it better. They add nothing. Another issue we had bringing 6- & 9-year-old boys: Zombies were too scary for our just-turned-6-year-old. He & I waited in the wing, seeing 1/4 of the screen, until it felt "safe." We'll just see if either has nightmares tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if so. THINK HARD about seeing this with children under 11!!!
Parent Written byHooptastic August 19, 2012

Lewd humor and gore. Save your money.

I was hopeful that this movie would be quirky and cool like Coraline. We were very disappointed. There are several references to sex...the bully comments that he's bummed that during a zombie invasion he's stuck in a library while an adult video store is right across the street. The teenage sister sports a bellying and openly lusts after a teen boy. A young boy is caught freeze-framing his mother's aerobics videos. Numerous instances of profanity. Increasingly gory and violent. We walked out halfway through the movie-- not something we do that often.
Parent Written byAdventuresome4 August 18, 2012

ParaNorman covers alot of ground

My kids enjoyed this movie, it did have some really funny comments at the beginning. I was somewhat surprised by some of the topic matter brought up. Filled with stereotypes, school bully is big and dumb, blond is stupid, scantily dressed and full of herself, gay teen is muscled/body obsessed(talks about his boyfriend at end). Normans only friend is the other boy who is picked on, who of course, is the fat kid. I did appreciate that they showed Norman as a forgiving and kindhearted child who ultimately tries hard to do the right thing despite everyone calling him a freak. Movie brings up how even adults can make bad decisions when they're scared. As far as sexual content, there seemed to be alot more than the usual PG movie has. Smaller children might be scared by the witch, zombies and cartoon-like violence.
Parent Written byvanceali August 17, 2012

Love this movie!

Wonderful movie filled with positive messages about the dangers of witch hunts and mob mentality. The main character is a boy whose life is difficult because his special skill makes him different. But he remains true to himself and finds happiness and respect. Again, simply wonderful!
Parent Written bySusan Canestra November 27, 2012

PARANORMAL THE ANIMATED MOVIE 2012

I took my ten year old, and I am disgusted. Small children were left alone by parents during this movie. It is a horror! Should at least be rated 12! At Ster Kinekor in PE Bridge, THERE WAS NO AGE RESTRICTION!!!