All parent member reviews for Paul

Parent of a 11 year old Written byalanps April 11, 2011

I loved Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead, but this was a let down. The two lead characters are very like-able but some of the humor is simply mean spirited. The mockery of Christianity is harsh and just not funny - and the constant bad language just get tedious after a while.... a shame, it really could have been a much much better movie.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byJennyyn April 10, 2011

My 14-year-old son and I love it. I thought it was a clever plot and very funny, well-written dialogue. If you like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's other parodies (i.e. "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") you'll probably like this one. Similar humor. There's some swearing, leering at three-breasted aliens on a magazine cover, some pot smoking and shooting from the guys who are chasing after Paul. Also potty humor and jokes about "alien balls." I was fine with my son watching it because he's fairly mature and I think it's a lot milder than some of the movies aimed at teenagers out there. Like Pegg and Frost's other movies, there's a sweetness about it and some redeeming message about friendship. I would definitely NOT recommend it if your teen is immature or easily swayed by media images (due to the pot-smoking); otherwise, I think it's fine for ages 14 and up.
Parent of a 5, 11, and 14 year old Written bystyxrox69 March 27, 2011

If you are a Christian, and don't like having your faith ridiculed, avoid this movie. It stereotypes Christians as little more than brain-washed morons. A woman is "freed" from her chains of religion, healed by the alien's powers, and goes on to explore her ability to curse and lose her inhibitions. The alien is funny, the movie is good, but it isn't a classic. The story is about an alien trying to get back to his home, and how two nerdy Brits deal with his antics.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygood parent74 April 2, 2011

good movie

it's a funny movie.just has the f bomb and other sexual language.but still, your kid would love it.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byBryantArkansasRiver March 21, 2011

WARNING: Not for Christian families

This website's review of "Paul" exaggerates the amount of profanity in the film, as it isn't uttered in the tone of most R-rated comedies. Honestly, this movie really should be rated PG-13. If you're in a family that has a typical liberal lifestyle and you're okay with kids seeing pot smoking, cursing, and the like, then this movie is fine for your kids to see. It's good to an extent, and it's not great, since the only humorous merit of it is a few geek points that just get tired as the movie goes along. Pegg, Frost, and co. put out a real disappointment here. Of course, the title of this review does not refer to any of the complaints so far mentioned. CommONSense Media seems more liberal and PC by the day, so they neglected to mention the following plot point to Christian parents who view this site. Part of the plot centers around a fundamentalist Christian woman (Kristen Wiig) who gets picked up by the lead characters. She and her father are portrayed as radical caricatures of Christian America. Paul approves of all religions...except for all "Judeo-Christian denominations." It only goes downhill from there, as the title alien helps convert Wiig's character to atheism, in part due to his mere existence. She feels enlightened by her conversion, and proceeds to become a significant source of the film's profanity. Again, Commonsense is just too PC to cover this significant, blasphemous, and unnecessary turn-off to Christian families.
Adult Written bykhan2705 March 19, 2011

a very entertaining enjoyable witty comedy.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) reunite for the comedy adventure Paul as two sci-fi geeks whose pilgrimage takes them to America's UFO heartland. While there, they accidentally meet an alien who brings them on an insane road trip that alters their universe forever. For the past 60 years, an alien named Paul (Seth Rogen) has been hanging out at a top-secret military base. For reasons unknown, the space-traveling smart ass decides to escape the compound and hop on the first vehicle out of town -- a rented RV containing Earthlings Graeme Willy (Pegg) and Clive Gollings (Frost). Chased by federal agents and the fanatical father of a young woman that they accidentally kidnap, Graeme and Clive hatch a fumbling escape plan to return Paul to his mother ship. And as two nerds struggle to help, one little green man might just take his fellow outcasts from misfits to intergalactic heroes. Paul is directed by Superbad's Greg Mottola, from a story by Pegg & Frost. Joining the comedy's cast are Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Blythe Danner, Joe Lo Truglio, John Carroll Lynch, David Koechner and Sigourney Weaver. what a absolute entertaining movie it is. i had this strange feeling about this movie that it will turn out a good movie, which it did. it is a very good hearted comedy. very funny geek comedy with aliens and some action. cast was so diverse. no doubt the most entertaining good movie of this year till now. ofcourse not actually a performance based movie but i like this so diverse cast. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kristen wiig, Jane Lynch, Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman, Sigourney Weaver, Bill Hader and other familiar faces. screenplay was kind of well written and smart script. plot was good. action was very much few in it but very good and quite accurate. paul make up or visual effect was good. editing was good too. this movie has language in it which i loved, lol. very funny and laugh out loud scenes in it. i really liked watching this movie and had an absolute good time. enjoyable movie, Do watch it guys.
Parent Written bytandum2 August 9, 2011

Do not put this crap in your kids heads!

If you are raising your children to love God- DON'T waist a single second on this militant-atheistic movie! This is an obvious attempt to bash those of the christian faith- nothing new for Hollywood- mind you- but this is an in your face - anti Christian movie...not to mention the affirmation of homosexuality being perfectly fine, fornication and swearing is ideal and smoking cigarettes & pot is the "cool" thing to do. It is insulting on so many levels. Kids should not watch this movie!
Adult Written byLouiebouy April 1, 2011

This is ET gone bad

Oh my! This is ET gone bad. This movieis pure mainstream hollywood at its worst. Where do I start? There is a constant flipant degradation of Christians, constant vulgar language, constant sexual banter, constant drug use, etc... Do not permit anyone under 18 to go to this movie. PS: cast is from Saturday Nite Live - but at the R-21 rating level if there was one.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 24, 2015

Something To check out..

This Film was Actually pretty funny.. This Film on the other hand did have a lot of strong language and It did have a large usage of drugs. otherwise, This film would be a perfect choice for mature Teenagers.. Other than that, I wouldn’t Recommend this Film to younger children due to it’s mature content..
Educator Written bygraveling April 30, 2014

swearing

good the onlyy explicit thing is language and violence (contains strong language soft drug use moderate sex references and some bloody violence -15-)
Parent Written byDarwinsMyth December 31, 2013

Keep kids away. For immature audiences...

I don't know how I got through any of it, with all the heavy profanity, the anti-Christian bigotry, and the evolution propaganda. There was no positive message, and absolutely no positive role models.
Adult Written bysupapoopa April 16, 2012

Lol Lol Lol

(Spoiler alert) Man I love this movie but watch out for around 60-70 uses of f-ck and when Graeme Willy gets shot at the end. WATCH IT!
Adult Written bykeeyanoosh February 19, 2012

paul

good movie
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Paul (2011)

only good reason about this movie is the positive messages. doesnt save the worst syi fi movie.
Parent Written byDasGinatron November 6, 2011

Paul is brilliant.

I want to say this is a movie for 18+ but let's face it, this flick is full of teenage humor that as parents can be disgusting and immature at times, but is suiting for that age group. I would say older teens will have a blast watching it just as much as the adults. Although, if you pick this movie up-- rent it first and perhaps let your teenager watch it with their friends, and you watch it with yours, lol.
Educator Written byKittykate93 September 5, 2011

Funny but not worth the time

I would only watch again if there was nothing else to watch. It was a very funny movie but there were many offensive parts. Cutting on Christianity, smoking pot, and lots of language. I think it would be best enjoyed by young adults and no so much teenagers.
Adult Written bycadiomals August 15, 2011

NOT FOR CHRISTIANS

While I myself decently enjoyed the film, the review fails to mention its obvious anti-Christian themes. Simon Pegg is a Briton who is anti-American in general and anti-Christian in particular. So if you are a Christian who doesn't like getting your beliefs ridiculed, this movie isn't for you. Also, this isn't for immature teens in general.
Educator and Parent Written bykrystalr4 July 30, 2011

Adults only

It is NOT for kids! A lot of words that kids do not need to hear!
Parent Written bysjdgillespie June 11, 2011

Hillarious laughs all through

Fantastic Film probably not suitable for younger kids but they would think paul himself is quite funny even if they dont tottally understand the humor
Parent of a 12 year old Written byperrinster March 22, 2011

for teens and older

Rated R mostly for language, anti-christian themes, and some talk of - not actually shown- sexual situations. There was also a short scene involving drinking and smoking a joint. While some of the talk of sex made my 13 year old son and I uncomfortable briefly, overall he quite enjoyed it. I did too. I would allow more mature 13 year olds to see this movie. The championing of science over creationism was refreshing to both of us. The language and sexual situations discussed, again -not shown, in this movie is nothing that kids don't talk about amongst each other. This movie was made by the same guys who made Shawn of the Dead and is full of inside jokes from classic sci-fi movies. If you have a responsible child who understands that drinking and drugs are bad and have had the whole sex talk with- go for it. These parts were a small part of the movie. Overall- the movie was very good.