All parent member reviews for Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Adult Written bydaveng April 9, 2008

very funny

this movie is mostly zany, comical and off the wall. There are a few points that might be objectionable - there's one scene where an ex-con wields a gun, there's a scene in a bar where the patrons (a biker gang) talk about hanging and killing pee wee for knocking over their bikes (the bikers are more cartoonish then realistic, and eventually become friends with pee wee). In the bar, people are consuming alcohol. In an earlier scene, there's some very, very mild sexual innuendo between pee wee and a waitress.
Parent Written byseverus23 May 9, 2012

Nightmarish!!!

Commonsense is way off on this one, I think. There are a number of very scary scenes, Large Marge in particular. With a mounting sense of foreboding, Marge (while driving PeeWee in a big semi) recounts the story of a disturbing, gruesome, & fatal accident; at the end, her face suddenly and massively deforms in a very disturbing way, plus it's jump-out-of-the-closet shocking. (Turns out Marge was the one in the accident, and is now a ghost.) Totally freaked my 8 y old out, not to mention myself! Google "large marge" and you'll find plenty of people reminiscing about how this scene was the scariest thing in their entire chilldhood. Avoid until they're older.
Parent Written byjknoxwhite April 9, 2008

Wacky Fun for the whole family

Some of the jokes may go over the head of kids under 10, but the unique humor grabs everyone.
Parent Written byRebecca2221 April 22, 2013

Caution to even the not-so-sensitive viewers.

I missed seeing this when it came out in 1985, so I didn't know what to expect. After reading the review on commonsense.org, it seemed like it was something our family might enjoy. My 7 year old, who does not spook easily, had nightmares from the movie, so the warnings in the review were a little understated. There is a truck driver whose eyes pop out of her head - a moment that was scary to ages 7, 10, and parents. Also, there is some inappropriate behavior and language and smoking. All in all, I regretted hitting play within 3 minutes of the movie starting and that feeling never went away. There's no harm in passing on this one!
Parent Written bymowensmd December 29, 2012

This is not for kids under 8-9 unless you SKIP LARGE MARGE!!

The one other review here is spot on about LARGE MARGE. The other nightmare scene and the bar are tolerable for 6-7 y/o's, but the shock you out of your pants scary scene with Large Marge truly will haunt your kids. My 7 y/o hasn't slept since seeing this unexpectedly. I HIGHLY recommend skipping this scene if you choose to show it to kids under 8-9.
Adult Written byBobslob April 9, 2008

GREATEST MOVIE EVER!

This movie has aleays been one of my favorites!!! I love it! PeeWee is the funniest guyu around and he doesn't shy away from the serious stuff either. I can't believe Paul Reubens hasn't become more of a star after this movie because the humor is great and the jokes keep me laughing for hours on end. When PeeWee jumps on his bike and rides through the movie sets and a dinosaur falls in Santas slay, I can't believe what I'm watching! Great for everyone!
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 February 18, 2013

Shugo: IT DIDN'T AFFECT ME. *PUNCHES* You: Oh shoot, she's in yandere mode.......

ナニ? What?
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byCarolina-Mom March 20, 2012

Pee-Wee is classic!

I've loved this movie since it was first released. I recently showed it to my two daughters, ages 11 and 7, and they laughed hysterically through the whole thing. There is one scene that is mildly scary. It involves a big rig on a dark highway. I warned my younger daughter when we got to that part, and she ended up laughing through it. I really thought it would freak her out and give her nightmares, but she was fine. There are also a few other questionable scenes, one with a biker bar and one with an escaped convict. But it was all exagerrated to the point of rediculousness. This movie is so silly. You can't help but laugh at it just because of how crazy it is, and at his goofy expressions. To make it even better, the musical score was done by Danny Elfman.
Adult Written bybdh July 3, 2011

good movie

funny family movie
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymo_cubsfan November 5, 2010

my kids love this movie and so do I

Parent of a 8 year old Written byMr. Karl May 21, 2010

fine for 8+

It was just enough to pass despite my concern for the movie itself.
Adult Written bymrbob April 9, 2008