Parent reviews for Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Poster Image

wierd and scary for 7 year old

I didn't catch it in '85. I found it silly-funny but the kid wasn't amused and was scared by the dark imagery. Asked us to turn it off and not watch it again. Nervous on way to and at bedtime. Also the humour was over his head. I dk if a preteen would appreciate. Maybe not till college age.

Best pee wee movie

Sex 1/5 Violence 3/5 Language 2/5 Drugs alcohol and smoking 0/5

Unexpected scary scene has terrorised 6 year old

I let my younger child (6) watch this because the reviews generally seemed to indicate it was an odd ball movie and after watching 30 minutes myself I didn't see anything to be concerned about, but later in the movie there is one unexpected and particularly scary scene in a truck that has left my little one with nightmares. Definitely for older kids only.

This actually gave me nightmares! So I can imagine what a kid would think when they saw it

Please don't let your kids watch a lot of sexual content and he acts just horrible

The Large Marge (truck driver) nightmarish jump-scare will ruin your little kid's night

The movie is 99% fine, but then there's Tim Burton's Beetlejuice-style screaming horror for 5 seconds in the truck. So if there's littles in the room, fingers on the pause button when Pee Wee gets picked up hitchhiking.

Good with questionable spots

Another fun, iconic movie from my childhood that reminded me that the 80s were a bit less sensitive than we are now. We skipped over Large Marge and the evil clown/devil doctors that dance around his bike and that was fine but a few moments in the movie are in there that might shock you and might not suit a more sensitive parent or child.

Caution to even the not-so-sensitive viewers.

I missed seeing this when it came out in 1985, so I didn't know what to expect. After reading the review on commonsense.org, it seemed like it was something our family might enjoy. My 7 year old, who does not spook easily, had nightmares from the movie, so the warnings in the review were a little understated. There is a truck driver whose eyes pop out of her head - a moment that was scary to ages 7, 10, and parents. Also, there is some inappropriate behavior and language and smoking. All in all, I regretted hitting play within 3 minutes of the movie starting and that feeling never went away. There's no harm in passing on this one!

This is not for kids under 8-9 unless you SKIP LARGE MARGE!!

The one other review here is spot on about LARGE MARGE. The other nightmare scene and the bar are tolerable for 6-7 y/o's, but the shock you out of your pants scary scene with Large Marge truly will haunt your kids. My 7 y/o hasn't slept since seeing this unexpectedly. I HIGHLY recommend skipping this scene if you choose to show it to kids under 8-9.

Nightmarish!!!

Commonsense is way off on this one, I think. There are a number of very scary scenes, Large Marge in particular. With a mounting sense of foreboding, Marge (while driving PeeWee in a big semi) recounts the story of a disturbing, gruesome, & fatal accident; at the end, her face suddenly and massively deforms in a very disturbing way, plus it's jump-out-of-the-closet shocking. (Turns out Marge was the one in the accident, and is now a ghost.) Totally freaked my 8 y old out, not to mention myself! Google "large marge" and you'll find plenty of people reminiscing about how this scene was the scariest thing in their entire chilldhood. Avoid until they're older.