All teen and kid member reviews for Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Kid, 11 years old July 28, 2010

READ THE BOOK!!!!!!!! [but dont watch the movie]

either read the book or see the movie. if you read the book you will absolutly hate the movie. besides the plot and the characters names they have nothing in common. the ages are all wrong they went from 12 to 17. grover is supposed to be shy little satyr not a popular ladys man. not to mention all the stuff they left out. if i had never read the book [im glad i did] i would sive this movie 4 stars. and a message to rick riordan: keep up the good work in your new series. RICK RIORDAN IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old July 1, 2010
I liked the movie, but it was a TERIIBLE refrence to the book, and did not stay true to the story Rick Riordan wrote. They made the movie seem scarier than the book, and substituted some scenes. Percy and the gang are no longer 12, but 17, in high school. They exchanged the Chimera for the Hydra, no Waterland, or DOA Recording Studios, and Ares had a very, very minor part. Kronos wasn't even mentioned. They just said that Luke resented the Olympians and want to tear Olympus down. Mrs. Dodds freaked even my mom out! There is violence, like severing heads and battles. There are a few cuss words, but it isn't too bad. They also played "Highway to H***" as a song. There are many scary images, such as Hades, Medusa, and the Hydra. The gang also enters the Lotus Casino, which is more mature that mentioned in the book. And, in this case, Grover is a huge "ladies man," constantly flirting with girls. If you wouldn't want to see the images in your head of the characters and setings destroyed, I would pass. This film does not appeal to a younger audience.
Kid, 10 years old July 20, 2010

A Disappointment

First off, if you have read the books, the movie is going to be a total disappointment. The characters were warped- and the most noticeable way was their ages. Percy and Annabeth were supposed to be 12, and the actress for Annabeth was 24. They were all 16 or so, and they could drive. Grover was supposed to be a timid, shy satyr, but he was a lady loving popular person, and it demonstrated bad roll models in the way he was acting for younger children. The story was different, so that Luke was the bad guy, when he should have been good- in a way. The way it was set up was too easy for the characters, yes, they saved the world, but it made them look so stupid and helpless. There were many characters and scenes deleted, such as Clarisse, daughter of Ares, Ares himself, the waterbed scene, the water park scene, and the Oracle.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOGORMAN May 13, 2010

Good Movie for ages 8+

This movie was filled with action and humor. It may be nothing like the book, but it was definitely entertaining. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodperson4 January 8, 2011

book is better

they did a terrible job following the book
Teen, 14 years old Written byNotreDameFan February 6, 2014

what the heck was the director thinking?

I have so many questions for this terrible movie. Why the heck did he choose a brunette in stead of a blonde to play Annabeth? Why were the main characters in high school? Why was Grover black? Why wasn't Half-Blood Hill in the movie? It seemed to me like the director didn't even read the book. Do not watch this movie. It is not even close to the book
Teen, 13 years old Written bywinterpercussion August 1, 2010

If you read the books don't bother watching it!

....Ok first off if you read the books DO NOT watch the movie the plot line was off the movie was just way off the book...I saw this for my b-day because I loved the books sooooooooo much but ugh it was stupid. I have one word for it FAIL!
Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2010

The Book is better

the book is better then the movie the movie goes way to fast. It is really good though. Hades wife Peresephone wears sexy clothing and makes-out with her husband in front of percy,annabeth,grover, and percy's mom.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2016
I must say,if you`re a Percy Jackson book fan (I myself love the series),you are going to be greatly dissapointed.I was super surprised,however,to hear ten and up.I saw the movie when I was 5 or 4 and I loved it,and I must admit I get creeped out and scared very easily.Like,very.Trust me.Very.Easily.Positive messages include Percy getting over his dyslexia,and a lot of loyalty to family and friends.I would say Annabeth is a awesome role model,and so is Percy.Now this I was extremely skeptical about-a lot of the reviews claim its scary,ad violent,and horrible.Trust me,nothing in there would scare a seven year old.Counting them off,there`s Mrs.Dobbs,who was Percy`s teacher.If you`re not scared of vulture women,you don`t have to worry.There is a minotaur,and then what your all worried about,Hades.He looks like a bull made out of flames,I admit he cuts of Medusa`s head,but it honestly looks so fake I would`t stress.You`ve all been worried about what she looks like-a woman with several snakes for hair.My descriptions haven`t been very good *cough*vulture woman *cough* but that is all she is-a woman with snakes for hair.Not a creepy woman,a good looking one in fact.Just a woman with snake hair.Let`s see....I think that`s it.You could find the statues in Medusas garden a bit creepy but not to me.Now,Too Much Sex ?In Percy Jackson?If you were talking to me and said that i would start rolling around laughing hysterically.Grover is under the influence of the Lotus Flower,so I just found that scene funny.Persephone is the Goddess of Spring-Satyrs are animals of Spring and Summer,so they`re like,her servants.I can`t stand up for the kiss but it wasn`t such a big deal.They definitely don`t swear,though they play ``Highway to Hell``.I don`t remember things like "were they using Apple?" or "did they stop at Walmart?",so I`ll have to believe what common sense media says,which is usually right.As for the movie,if you`re a book fan and don`t want to think "that`s not right!" every five minutes,I don`t reccomend it.However,dad and mom say it was a good movie,so if you haven`t read the books try it out.I honestly think an average 6 year old can cope,but you know yourselfes.If you`re still up to it great,but it just isn`t my type,so I can`t say much good about it other than the effects are pretty good,so if your the type that goes for the effects,go for it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTacoBall March 29, 2011

Great special effects, could have done without the sex and gambling

I've never read the books, so I can't compare the movie. When this movie came out last summer I really liked it and watched it over and over again with my 5 and 11 year old sisters. Only recently did I realize that the movie really isn't the most appropriate thing for a 5 year old to be watching, even if it is only PG. However, I think Common Sense's rating of 11+ could be a bit lower. Some of the monsters are real-looking and definitely scary (the Fury, Hades as a demon) others are more fake-looking but still creepy (Medusa). The part where the Minotaur takes Percy's mom might disturb young viewers. There are many battles throughout the movie, climaxing with Luke and Percy's fight for the lightning bolt near the end, that are exciting but somewhat violent (but without much gory bloodshed). I'm not so much concerned about this kind of fantasy violence as I am about the other issues in this movie. I'm sure a lot of it will go over kids' heads, but still, are today's children's moviemakers really this perverted? Persephone and many other women characters wear very low-cut dresses, Gabe drinks and is disrespectful to Percy's mom and Grover flirts with girls. Also, Persephone "shows off" to Grover in a hooker-type way. The part that takes place in the casino is just inappropriate; kids should not see other kids eating drugged lotus flowers and gambling. Overall a so-so movie that could have been a lot better, with the iffy content overpowering positive messages.
Kid, 9 years old July 31, 2015

Awesome Movie

Cool movie.A bit violent.Has a lot of sword fighting.In one scene when Percy and his friends are running from a mythical creature she gets her head cut off.But there is not any blood.Overall good entertaining movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDani the Witch March 22, 2010

The gods are angry...and so am I.

It was okay, I guess...but it didn't follow the book at all! If you read the book, you'll be dissapointed because many important things were missing. Every time Grover had the chance, he would flirt with the girls, there were scenes that might be a little scary for younger kids, and then there was the part where they were drugged with the 'Lotus Flower'. And they cuss almost every sentence. My advice? Go to your nearset bookstore and pick up the first Percy Jackson and the Olympians book -which IS appropriate for younger kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMatthew Noriega January 4, 2015

Fun,fast,action

I think its fun book for your children to read and is fast into action. Your kids will predict what will happen next by reading the twists and turns that happen in the strory.
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2014

Movie sucks

The book is awesome. I give the book a perfect rating. However, the movie is very different from the book. I even suspect that the movie director has only read a brief summary of the book. If you're going to read the book, NEVER watch the movie. The movie's ending isn't the same either!
Teen, 13 years old Written byhithop767 January 9, 2015

not that bad

OK so if really want to watch a movie that adults can watch this is not it and the only reason i say it is a OK for four and under is because my four year old brother watched it (because he had no choice) he was scared but not to scared . but over all the second one was way better .
Kid, 11 years old December 17, 2014

Lightning Thief: Review

This is a fun-filled movie is about a teenager who discover he's the descendant of a Greek god, and sets out on an on-going battle between the gods. It is a very creative movie! There's some suggestive words that parents should be aware of like, 'Flipping', 'Oh my gods', 'a--,' and 'what the h---.' For the consumerism bit, an iPod is seen when they visit Medusa. Also, when they go into the Casino women are seen in VERY low-prep clothes. Let that be a warning to you. There's a little violence seen when they beat around the bush that they cut off Medusa's head. And at the end his step-father, Gabe, opens up the refrigerator and finds Medusa's head with the snakes hissing, and as you can imagine..... that can be scary. But for the most part I think it's a fantastic movie, for ages 8 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byaleasha14 August 21, 2014

GREATEST MOVIE

I think you should watch these movie it was the best.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEliteDreamer June 1, 2014

Good Movie... Don't Compare to the Book

If you love those movies where fantasy meets the real world, you'll enjoy Percy Jackson and the Olympians (PJO) : The Lightning Thief, a movie based off Riordan's bestseller involving demi-gods, quests, and Greek mythology. Without comparing it to the books, there is a plot line and the characters are portrayed decently. Fans of PJO, will not be pleased. Aside from the color of Annabeth's hair, the quests are completely different (more exciting in the book, personally) and certain moments that you wanted to see on screen might not even be there. Be warned that there is a level of violence, some scary scenes, betrayal, and some relationships stuff (a character likes girls- pretty harmless). The only other thing to be worried about is an obsession with the book series (and movie) and an interest in Greek mythology. Go into it without associating it with the popular book series, and you will find the movie enjoyable.
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2012

Percy jackson and the lightning thief

these things are not that bad but your younger kids might get scared with a teacher turning in to a monster, there snotty step father Gabe, language and action I think your older kids will love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old February 14, 2011

Well......

It is a bad movie compared 2 the book . Some concerns would be that alot of the girls outfits are not very modest they cuss some but overall most of the people are positive role models. It is am educationall movie, but the books have way more facts. If u haven't read the books don't basecthe books on the movie.