Parent reviews for Pet Sematary

Book-based Stephen King horror tale is scary and violent.

Adult Written bynewmommy102103 August 9, 2019

Reviews were wrong about language!

We decided to watch Pet Sematary after it popped up free on the Roku Channel this week. My son is 13 and we always check here first. After reading the reviews, we decided that it would be ok. You can imagine my shock when the F-bomb was dropped! There is a lot more swearing in the movie than the review said. It still has far less than most thrillers, but just want parents to be aware that it does say the F-word and it says a few others several times. The F-word happens after the dad buries the cat and gets ready to take a bath. I hope this helps other families.

Adult Written byjcmcdowell December 28, 2019

Not too scary

This adaptation of Stephen Kong’s novel was ok, and I’m glad there was hardly any sex in the movie. The review was wrong, though. There should be 1/5 for sex because the man kisses his dead wife at the very end right before she kills him. This movie is very violent, but it won’t scare very many tweens and teens.

Adult Written byAngelOh74 November 2, 2019
Gory. Creepy.
Quite disturbing.
I’d not want to expose younger kids and teens to the dark themes
I didn’t notice language.
No positive role models or characters at all. Everyone was flawed. A mature mind can ponder that, not so much our younger ones.
I found the acting a tad weak but it was the 80s
Adult Written byDexter2018 September 12, 2019

Not a good movie

The only good actor was Fred Gwynn. The acting is terrible, the mom was too over dramatic and they did a terrible job with the makeup.

Adult Written byCool jerkerama June 30, 2019
What people need to know. pet sematary is not actually that great compared to a lot of other Stephen King movies. There is not really any language higher then PG-13 standard and the violence is not violence. It’s not scary at all and there is no sexual content also there is drug use. Overall Pet semetary is fine for 12 years olds and up but I don’t know if anybody would like this film it’s kind of boring and ruined Stephen Kings novel.
Adult Written bygia123 May 31, 2019

Good movie would watch with a 13yo and they would be fine

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byThe beavs May 1, 2019

Awesome but know your kid

Story time: one day my child came home from school age 12 his friends had talked about the movie. He asked if he could see it i said no at first because I thought it was demonic. I had seen it before but did not remember it. He had seen some r rated films such as terminater, alien, die hard, and saving private Ryan, but I finally gave in and we watched pet sematary together. I was nervous to let him watch it but I could turn it of if it got demonic. Turns out it was not very demonic but it was violent and had some language it would probably be pg13 now for some graphic horror violence/gore some strong language, and for some the metic elements

Parent Written byPaul R. April 12, 2018
Adult Written byJk12345 June 15, 2017

Cool, but creepy

In my opinion anyone 12+ should be able to see it, my suggested rating R for sequences of bloody violence, otherwise the films just really really creepy.

Parent of an infant-year-old Written byCrazyK July 12, 2016

Love it!

I love these type of books..but a lot of swearing!

Adult Written bywonder dove January 11, 2013

Extremely chilling!!! A great watch!

Pet Sematary is extremely eerie and dark with a very very very depressing, creepy atmosphere throughout. I loved it! And I love Stephen King! It's very sad though, so definitely have a kleenex box around! It centers around a cute little family starting out, moving to a nice house with lots of space to run and play. The only terrible thing about the house is that it's right next to a very busy highway with lots of loud trucks zooming by all the time - which is no place to let kids roam! After a little girl loses her cat by getting run over, her father doesn't tell her. Instead, he takes the cat to a secret place beyond the pet sematary he learned about from his older neighbor where when you bury a pet there, they can come back to life. However what he does not know is that they come back evil. After losing his precious 3 year old son the same way, he can't help but bury him in the secret cemetery to see if he can bring him back to life, too - but with very chilling results. The violence is mainly horror related the worst being a graphic suicide where a lady hangs herself and lots of blood & gore towards the end. Also a brief fight scene at a funeral. No sexual stuff. Lots of cussing but pretty mild (no "f" words). There is drinking and some smoking. Not for the light-hearted and do not watch this alone at night! Unless you're looking to scare yourself for weeks! Ages 14+ recommended!

Adult Written bycharlie2411235 July 13, 2012

Shocking and suspenful and gory.

Extreme gory violence!!!!!!!! Not for Kids!!!! R rating is accurate!!!!!!!

Adult Written byhomey335 May 28, 2012

Its an ok Stephen King movie with gore.

Violence: 8/10- A child gets killed and then kills other people. Gory images. Animals die.
Sexual Content: 1/10- Nothing nearly as sexually innapropiate compared to the book.
Language: 3/10- Sh*t is used once or twice. B*tch was used along with d*mn.
Drinking and drug use: 3/10- Drinking and smoking.
Frightining scenes: 8/10- The movie is pretty frightining and creepy.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byHealthWyze.org April 28, 2012

Great, Clean Horror Film

This is a fantastic horror movie that really keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is one of few good horror movies that is clean and safe for kids to watch. There are some truly gory parts of the film, but no X-rated content or language issues (I think b***h is used once).

Parent of a 7-year-old Written bythe bobo January 11, 2010