All parent member reviews for Peter Pan

Adult Written byKelE April 9, 2008

inappropriate on so many levels

Yes, I watched it as a child. No, I will not let my kids watch it. I do not care for the way the father treats the children, the way TinkerBell treats Wendy, the way the girls all swoon for Peter but he ignores them. My 3 year old daughter saw this movie at a friend's house, without my knowledge, and had so many questions: how could Captain Hook want to KILL a child? are there other adults who want to hurt chlidren? why aren't there adults to protect the children? why is Tinkerbell so mean? why doesn't the father love his children? why did the parents leave the children alone when they went out? could someone come into our house through the windows while we are sleeping? While some children may not be affected by these scenes, highly intelligent or sensitive children may be. And while these topics are worth discussing and exploring, preschoolers do not need to be exposed to them before they are mature enough to have a meaningful discussion. Too many parents let their children watch a movie simply because it comes from Disney.
Adult Written bywhovian85 April 9, 2008

I haven't seen this movie in years, but I just feel that I have to defend the movie. First off Hook wants to kill Peter because Peter cut off his hand and feed it to the crocodile. Second, I'm sure that the parents didn't leave that kids alone as there probably were at least a couple of servants in the house(at that time even middle class families had servants). Finally, I find the fact that all the girls swoon over Peter harmless, and the fact that he's oblivious to it all shows his boyish innocence.
Adult Written byamykate77 April 9, 2008

We didn't even finish it.

We have a four year old whose grandparents' take great pride in purchasing Disney movies for. Our son was so excited to get Peter Pan, but as usual, we told him we would need to screen the film prior to him watching it. We watched the first 1/2 hour, and decided that it's definitely too old for a young child. There's a part where the Dad just blows up at the children-- which isn't really all that offensive, but we were sure our four year old wouldn't understand. The clencher was the part where one of the pirates pulls a gun and puts it up to another's face, threatens to slit his throat, etc. That's just not something I want my kid emulating at this age!
Adult Written by21stcenturycritic December 15, 2009

Not for this day and age - without serious 21st century consideration

Except for the underlying theme- that parents should be more understanding of their children as they were once children themselves. This movie may have worked well into society back when it was first released in 1953- where gender role views were clearly defined and boys were one way and girls were another. However this movie- even with being regarded as a Disney Classic- cannot be considered, now, something that the whole family can enjoy without some controversial questions and raised eye-brows. Before I go into the racism and sexism of the movie, let's first take a look at how Mr. Darling treats his daughter Wendy's sense of creativity. He calls them "idiotic ideas"- now any child self aware enough may internalize this and may whether consciously or subconciously bring it out in conversation with a parent making for quite an interesting and uncomfortable talk. Now speaking of uncomfortable- there is the subject of the the Indians in the movie. They are described as "quite savage", "cunning but not intelligent" and "Red" men. Not only that but the lost boys actually go to HUNT them. If that is not blatant racism then I'm not sure what is. Now as far as the sexism goes, other than the one line 'girls talk too much' the sexism is not necessarily spoken in the movie but rather spread out throughout the movie in how they treat Wendy and the other females of the movie. First- Wendy is given the role of mother and care taker- a role "traditionally" given only to females where we now know that is not all women can do and something that men can partake in as well- while the lost boys and Wendy's two brothers go off to hunt (the indians). Now- in the movie it seems that girls can only be of two things- one as already mentioned caretakers and swooning over Peter and the other is vindictive and jealous. The mermaids for one actually try and drown Wendy (they admit to it too) and Captain Hook uses TinkerBell's jealousy over Wendy and Peter to his advantage. If that is not enough then the violence should concern all parents. Peter Pan ( a boy) cuts off captain Hook's hand and feeds it to a croc. There are sword fights. Children being violent toward adults and vice versa- especially that above all. There is violence- not just peter against captain hook but violence toward other people, the indians. There is "domestic" violence per say; Tinkerbell against Wendy. Overall this movie is outdated and as my suggestion and opinion should only be shown to our children if one plans to explain why it's ok to name call people of others ethnicities, why it's ok to be violent toward adults and vice versa, and why it's ok to be sexist.
Adult Written byOregonDad January 10, 2010

Way too violent the whole way through

As soon as they kids get to Neverland, Captain Hook murders one of his crew (a pistol shot to the crow's nest and the pirate falls to the water) and it never lets up. Sword and knife fights, throwing people overboard, an attempt to blow up Peter Pan with a bomb, the lost boys bash each other with clubs and rock hammers, talk of "slitting throats" and "prepare to DIE", the Indians tie up the kids and set them on piles of wood to later burn them alive... it goes on and on. That's not even mentioning all the terrible Indian racial stereotypes and sexual attitudes and drinking. It's really quite unbelievable this is aimed at young children.
Adult Written byCath12435 June 1, 2014

Tinkerbell's dress is too short. When she gets trapped in Wendy's drawer we get a full view of her panties (they aren't the skimpy type of underwear though). The mermaids in the show wear only a seashell over each breast without connecting lines so it doesn't even look like a bikini. One of the mermaids has hair covering her breasts but it's also obvious she isn't wearing a bra/bikini top. Peter Pan blushes when the Indian chief's daugher kisses him. The pirates throw knives at one of their fellow members for no reason and Caption Hook shoots one of his men for singing bad.
Parent Written byDavidByrne May 19, 2013

Blatantly Racist Parts

"Remember, the Indian is clever, but isn't as smart." Yeah, there are some pretty racist parts.
Parent Written bysunshinedays January 22, 2012

good fun

I am watching it right now with my 3 and 6 year old. The magic of flying and playing without a parent telling you to clean up is a fun fantasy for a short time. As far as Captain Hook and Peter being mean to each other, my kids have learned enough by now to know that is not behavior to replicate. We talk about Captain Hook and the pirates just needs a mother to teach them to be kind.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKarrie73 December 31, 2009

Far too sexual. The female characters, with the exception of Wendy, are terrible role models for girls. They are mean, spiteful, rude, angry, jealous and sexual. The mermaids fawn over Peter Pan like he were Huge Hefner. There is also a scene that shows Peter Pan and Micheal taking part in smoking from a pipe with the "Engines". Its very racists towards native Americans. All in all, its too violent and sexual for an animated child's film.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byrockhottie101@y... June 21, 2013

Not for Little Kids

I used to have this movie on VHS when I was little, and I just watched it again with my little kids at work. I wanted so bad to turn off the movie altogether, but did not want to offend the other teacher that chose it. I used to really like it when I was little, but I know I just find the whole film not for kids that young, regardless of it's G rating. First off, Tinkerbell's dress is way too short. Another thing is all the insulting and racist language. Another is the racist "Red Man" and the Indians. Not to forget the mermaids, two or three don't have shells covering their breasts, they just have their long hair covering them and blowing around. Plus they are pretty much sirens, acting all sexual like trying to get Peter. The way Wendy, John, and Micheal's father treats them and their dog Nana, is really cruel and scary, while their mother is much too sweet and doesn't do anything to help the kids, or Nana. This movie is very well done, but not for little kids.
Parent Written bycuriosamama November 27, 2011

Sparks imagination, despite stereotyping

I can understand the issues other reviewers had with stereotyping, it really does stand out that this is an OLD movie. However, our little one gains a lot from the imagination part of the Peter Pan both book and the movie and we love them for that reason. The stereotypes will be over your 4-year-old's head and with older kids you can already discuss some ideas in the movie being old-fashioned. For 3-4 year olds, Hook may be quite scary, we have turned him around into someone we feel sorry for. Bottom line, we've been using this movie as a back-drop of many imagination games and theater shows and will discuss deeper issues about this filmic version of the story when the time comes. For phantasy-loving 4-year-olds, otherwise better for 5/6-year-olds.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byerich April 9, 2008

My kid loves this one, but I hate it.

I know I'll sound like a fanatic saying this, but I cannot handle the sexual dynamics of this old favorite. All the girls love Peter (Wendy, Tinkerbell, Tiger Lilly, and the mermaids); and they are so jealous of Peter's attention to Wendy that the mermaids are very mean to her and Tinkerbell tries to KILL her. Peter is oblivious to all this and wants Wendy to be his mother. The Darling family also has a roaring father who is oblivious to his children's issues. Lastly, one doesn't need to mention the un-PC treatment of American Indians in the film, e.g., What makes the Red Man red? When did he first say "Ugh"? That said, we have a copy of the film; my 4 year old son loves it; and he went as Peter last Halloween.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byrachelernst.com September 13, 2009

With 5 year old we'll try reading the book. Don't care for the movie

My 3 year old was turned off pretty quickly. My five year old boy was interested but getting a little vibe he didn't like (like moving trees and more he couldn't verbalize) to the point that he didn't care to watch it much more than 15 minutes and was eager to try a different show.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypogostick August 12, 2009

Good fantasy for dreamers

Yes, there's "What Makes the Red Man Red" which is totally uncomfortable. However, our 4 year old boy loves this film and there is much to love in it, including using imagination to fly, and the challenges of growing older and being responsible. Plus there's escapism when kids can outsmart their adult counterparts. What little boy wouldn't want to be a Lost Boy for a day? But it's still grounded when they long for their mothers at home. Couple notes: There's Tick-Tock the crocodile that might be a bit scary, but ultimately is used for laughs. Also, Captain Hook/Mr. Darling are voiced by the same actor and share many characteristics. For a more mature viewer, there's definitely some deconstructing to be done on that point. At least the film doesn't draw on the potential death of Tinkerbell which is a major factor of the original stage production, which was broadcast for TV back in the day. I was prepping myself for the "Clap if you believe in fairies" part, which could've caused some concerns in our youngster, and it never occurs. Woo-hoo!
Adult Written byMira April 9, 2008

bad in many ways

I'm so glad that I previewed this for my 7 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter. I remember hearing some concerns about stereotyping of Native Americans and Tinkerbell's feminine jealousy, but I thought to myself "how bad could it be?" Answer: bad, very bad. The racist stereotyping of Native Americans could not be uglier, and sexism is pervasive throughout the movie (Wendy is nurturing, Tinkerbell is pretty, and they compete for Peter's attention, but Peter's totally self-centered). My daughter thinks she likes Tinkerbell b/c of the current Disney marketing - she's just a pretty fairy right? Wrong, she's jealous and deceitful, and dumb apparently, as she gets tricked and captured by Captain Hook. The movie is dated, and its values & narrative are out of date. With all these problems, the movie is simply not entertaining. Embarrassing is more like it.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Parent Written bydebt serf November 15, 2014

kids see and hear worse on the school playground

the stereotypes aren't necessarily offensive but it is uncomfortable. however I hear kids today say worse stuff at the playground. the movie is our shared cultural history whether you like it or not. but sheltering kids from this stuff is about as ridiculous as a parent can be. you're not protecting them from anything.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byKingTor September 28, 2014

extremely dated stereotypes

I agree with the general tenure of the site, that this movie has extremely dated views of native Americans and women. With a little discussion, though, I think it worked out well for our family. There was also more violence than I'd remembered, and most of the characters were pretty mean to each other much of the time.
Educator and Parent Written bydontgoafftheheid July 11, 2014

You're all crazy!!!!

This film's a classic! Many have admitted watching it as a child...did it do you any harm? Could you attribute your crazy uni days to the fact a mermaid in Peter Pan had shells for a bikini? I think not! If your child picks up on all the ridiculously overanalysed nonsense you've mentioned then they probably should be writing a thesis on the symbolism in Ibsen's 'A Doll's House' not watching Disney Films. Why don't you wrap them in cotton wool, stick them in a cupboard and release them when they're 21? Oh yeah because then they wouldn't have experienced the world around them, they'd look at people from other cultures and ridicule their differences, they'd indulge in underage sex and drinking because they'd never experienced they chance to discuss it. Get over yourselves!