All parent member reviews for Peter Pan

Adult Written byKelE April 9, 2008

inappropriate on so many levels

Yes, I watched it as a child. No, I will not let my kids watch it. I do not care for the way the father treats the children, the way TinkerBell treats Wendy, the way the girls all swoon for Peter but he ignores them. My 3 year old daughter saw this movie at a friend's house, without my knowledge, and had so many questions: how could Captain Hook want to KILL a child? are there other adults who want to hurt chlidren? why aren't there adults to protect the children? why is Tinkerbell so mean? why doesn't the father love his children? why did the parents leave the children alone when they went out? could someone come into our house through the windows while we are sleeping? While some children may not be affected by these scenes, highly intelligent or sensitive children may be. And while these topics are worth discussing and exploring, preschoolers do not need to be exposed to them before they are mature enough to have a meaningful discussion. Too many parents let their children watch a movie simply because it comes from Disney.
Adult Written bywhovian85 April 9, 2008

I haven't seen this movie in years, but I just feel that I have to defend the movie. First off Hook wants to kill Peter because Peter cut off his hand and feed it to the crocodile. Second, I'm sure that the parents didn't leave that kids alone as there probably were at least a couple of servants in the house(at that time even middle class families had servants). Finally, I find the fact that all the girls swoon over Peter harmless, and the fact that he's oblivious to it all shows his boyish innocence.
Adult Written by21stcenturycritic December 15, 2009

Not for this day and age - without serious 21st century consideration

Except for the underlying theme- that parents should be more understanding of their children as they were once children themselves. This movie may have worked well into society back when it was first released in 1953- where gender role views were clearly defined and boys were one way and girls were another. However this movie- even with being regarded as a Disney Classic- cannot be considered, now, something that the whole family can enjoy without some controversial questions and raised eye-brows. Before I go into the racism and sexism of the movie, let's first take a look at how Mr. Darling treats his daughter Wendy's sense of creativity. He calls them "idiotic ideas"- now any child self aware enough may internalize this and may whether consciously or subconciously bring it out in conversation with a parent making for quite an interesting and uncomfortable talk. Now speaking of uncomfortable- there is the subject of the the Indians in the movie. They are described as "quite savage", "cunning but not intelligent" and "Red" men. Not only that but the lost boys actually go to HUNT them. If that is not blatant racism then I'm not sure what is. Now as far as the sexism goes, other than the one line 'girls talk too much' the sexism is not necessarily spoken in the movie but rather spread out throughout the movie in how they treat Wendy and the other females of the movie. First- Wendy is given the role of mother and care taker- a role "traditionally" given only to females where we now know that is not all women can do and something that men can partake in as well- while the lost boys and Wendy's two brothers go off to hunt (the indians). Now- in the movie it seems that girls can only be of two things- one as already mentioned caretakers and swooning over Peter and the other is vindictive and jealous. The mermaids for one actually try and drown Wendy (they admit to it too) and Captain Hook uses TinkerBell's jealousy over Wendy and Peter to his advantage. If that is not enough then the violence should concern all parents. Peter Pan ( a boy) cuts off captain Hook's hand and feeds it to a croc. There are sword fights. Children being violent toward adults and vice versa- especially that above all. There is violence- not just peter against captain hook but violence toward other people, the indians. There is "domestic" violence per say; Tinkerbell against Wendy. Overall this movie is outdated and as my suggestion and opinion should only be shown to our children if one plans to explain why it's ok to name call people of others ethnicities, why it's ok to be violent toward adults and vice versa, and why it's ok to be sexist.
Adult Written byamykate77 April 9, 2008

We didn't even finish it.

We have a four year old whose grandparents' take great pride in purchasing Disney movies for. Our son was so excited to get Peter Pan, but as usual, we told him we would need to screen the film prior to him watching it. We watched the first 1/2 hour, and decided that it's definitely too old for a young child. There's a part where the Dad just blows up at the children-- which isn't really all that offensive, but we were sure our four year old wouldn't understand. The clencher was the part where one of the pirates pulls a gun and puts it up to another's face, threatens to slit his throat, etc. That's just not something I want my kid emulating at this age!
Adult Written byCath12435 June 1, 2014

Tinkerbell's dress is too short. When she gets trapped in Wendy's drawer we get a full view of her panties (they aren't the skimpy type of underwear though). The mermaids in the show wear only a seashell over each breast without connecting lines so it doesn't even look like a bikini. One of the mermaids has hair covering her breasts but it's also obvious she isn't wearing a bra/bikini top. Peter Pan blushes when the Indian chief's daugher kisses him. The pirates throw knives at one of their fellow members for no reason and Caption Hook shoots one of his men for singing bad.
Parent Written byDavidByrne May 19, 2013

Blatantly Racist Parts

"Remember, the Indian is clever, but isn't as smart." Yeah, there are some pretty racist parts.
Adult Written byOregonDad January 10, 2010

Way too violent the whole way through

As soon as they kids get to Neverland, Captain Hook murders one of his crew (a pistol shot to the crow's nest and the pirate falls to the water) and it never lets up. Sword and knife fights, throwing people overboard, an attempt to blow up Peter Pan with a bomb, the lost boys bash each other with clubs and rock hammers, talk of "slitting throats" and "prepare to DIE", the Indians tie up the kids and set them on piles of wood to later burn them alive... it goes on and on. That's not even mentioning all the terrible Indian racial stereotypes and sexual attitudes and drinking. It's really quite unbelievable this is aimed at young children.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKarrie73 December 31, 2009

Far too sexual. The female characters, with the exception of Wendy, are terrible role models for girls. They are mean, spiteful, rude, angry, jealous and sexual. The mermaids fawn over Peter Pan like he were Huge Hefner. There is also a scene that shows Peter Pan and Micheal taking part in smoking from a pipe with the "Engines". Its very racists towards native Americans. All in all, its too violent and sexual for an animated child's film.
Parent Written bysunshinedays January 22, 2012

good fun

I am watching it right now with my 3 and 6 year old. The magic of flying and playing without a parent telling you to clean up is a fun fantasy for a short time. As far as Captain Hook and Peter being mean to each other, my kids have learned enough by now to know that is not behavior to replicate. We talk about Captain Hook and the pirates just needs a mother to teach them to be kind.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byerich April 9, 2008

My kid loves this one, but I hate it.

I know I'll sound like a fanatic saying this, but I cannot handle the sexual dynamics of this old favorite. All the girls love Peter (Wendy, Tinkerbell, Tiger Lilly, and the mermaids); and they are so jealous of Peter's attention to Wendy that the mermaids are very mean to her and Tinkerbell tries to KILL her. Peter is oblivious to all this and wants Wendy to be his mother. The Darling family also has a roaring father who is oblivious to his children's issues. Lastly, one doesn't need to mention the un-PC treatment of American Indians in the film, e.g., What makes the Red Man red? When did he first say "Ugh"? That said, we have a copy of the film; my 4 year old son loves it; and he went as Peter last Halloween.
Parent Written bycuriosamama November 27, 2011

Sparks imagination, despite stereotyping

I can understand the issues other reviewers had with stereotyping, it really does stand out that this is an OLD movie. However, our little one gains a lot from the imagination part of the Peter Pan both book and the movie and we love them for that reason. The stereotypes will be over your 4-year-old's head and with older kids you can already discuss some ideas in the movie being old-fashioned. For 3-4 year olds, Hook may be quite scary, we have turned him around into someone we feel sorry for. Bottom line, we've been using this movie as a back-drop of many imagination games and theater shows and will discuss deeper issues about this filmic version of the story when the time comes. For phantasy-loving 4-year-olds, otherwise better for 5/6-year-olds.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byrachelernst.com September 13, 2009

With 5 year old we'll try reading the book. Don't care for the movie

My 3 year old was turned off pretty quickly. My five year old boy was interested but getting a little vibe he didn't like (like moving trees and more he couldn't verbalize) to the point that he didn't care to watch it much more than 15 minutes and was eager to try a different show.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypogostick August 12, 2009

Good fantasy for dreamers

Yes, there's "What Makes the Red Man Red" which is totally uncomfortable. However, our 4 year old boy loves this film and there is much to love in it, including using imagination to fly, and the challenges of growing older and being responsible. Plus there's escapism when kids can outsmart their adult counterparts. What little boy wouldn't want to be a Lost Boy for a day? But it's still grounded when they long for their mothers at home. Couple notes: There's Tick-Tock the crocodile that might be a bit scary, but ultimately is used for laughs. Also, Captain Hook/Mr. Darling are voiced by the same actor and share many characteristics. For a more mature viewer, there's definitely some deconstructing to be done on that point. At least the film doesn't draw on the potential death of Tinkerbell which is a major factor of the original stage production, which was broadcast for TV back in the day. I was prepping myself for the "Clap if you believe in fairies" part, which could've caused some concerns in our youngster, and it never occurs. Woo-hoo!
Parent of a 4 and 4 year old Written byPaula1114 July 5, 2014

I loath this movie.

I absolutely hate this movie! The treatment of women and Native Americans is deplorable. The first time we see Tinklerbelle, she vainly poses on a mirror then worries that her backside is too big. What sort of message is this from a magic, flying fairy? And her jealous treatment of Wendy is equally awful. All of the sexual animosity between all of the female characters is hateful and completely inappropriate for young children. Then the pirates are violent adults who threaten to kill children. Sexist, racist and violent. Not something I want my children to see.
Educator and Parent Written byMiss Courtney July 14, 2013

Good As A Supplement to the Book

I think the movie is good as long as you consider it as a supplement to the book. J.M. Barrie’s work is a wonderfully complex and poetic work of art whose main theme is to learn to let go of childish ways. The author makes it clear that children are innocent yet also ignorant and inherently selfish but he reminds us in a kind and lyrical way. It’s clear he has a great reverence for children and their complexities. Peter is the embodiment of this and as such is an incredibly alluring character, especially for kids. He’s a bold and brave leader but only in a world where there is no real danger and death is make-believe. Since Neverland is Peter’s creation it is populated by the fantasies of boys—wild beasts, Indians, mermaids and pirates. Peter sees these things in a stereo-typical way, as a means to his childish ends. He has no context for or experience of them—it’s up to the adults to set him straight, to school him about the real world and in their absence he remains incorrigible and insufferable and as a result the beasts and Indians, mermaids and pirates are too. Eventually his friends become sick of this world. They out grow him, as Wendy and her brothers do. It’s a lovely parable about the death of innocence and the birth of knowledge. Unfortunately the movie paints itself in broad strokes, never touching on subtle themes. That’s why reading the book first is a good idea. In the book Wendy and girls are seen as the clever counterparts to boys (Neverland being populated only by Lost Boys because the girls were too smart to fall out of their prams). Wendy is a touchstone, never subjecated by Peter. She takes his insults and the injuries of others with a dignified grace and fortitude and always keeps a level-head. She’s a great role model for both girls and boys and her character is steadfast and honorable in the movie as well. It may take a bit of work to uncover the gems but is well worth the effort in the end.
Adult Written byMadameChung March 9, 2012

GET THE PICTURE

I think its a good movie. I think families should explain to their children that the Lost Boys aren't orphans because they don't remember their mothers, but because of the time period, they would have been left with Nannies (much like the Darlings' dog Nanna) expect with Human ones. (Think of Mary Poppins how many times in that movie did Jane&Michael see their parents?) now add to that fact. The Lost Boys dropped from their prams? And also explain to them that Peter himself ran away from home. In a way Never land is both real and not real. Since in a way its the mind of children (and not all children are alike) here's a line from the book: " don't know whether you have ever seen a map of a person's mind. Doctors sometimes draw maps of other parts of you, and your own map can become intensely interesting, but catch them trying to draw a map of a child's mind, which is not only confused, but keeps going round all the time. There are zigzag lines on it, just like your temperature on a card, and these are probably roads in the island, for the Neverland is always more or less an island, with astonishing splashes of colour here and there, and coral reefs and rakish-looking craft in the offing, and savages and lonely lairs, and gnomes who are mostly tailors, and caves through which a river runs, and princes with six elder brothers, and a hut fast going to decay, and one very small old lady with a hooked nose. It would be an easy map if that were all, but there is also first day at school, religion, fathers, the round pond, needle-work, murders, hangings, verbs that take the dative, chocolate pudding day, getting into braces, say ninety-nine, three-pence for pulling out your tooth yourself, and so on, and either these are part of the island or they are another map showing through, and it is all rather confusing, especially as nothing will stand still. Of course the Neverlands vary a good deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which John was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it. John lived in a boat turned upside down on the sands, Michael in a wigwam, Wendy in a house of leaves deftly sewn together. John had no friends, Michael had friends at night, Wendy had a pet wolf forsaken by its parents, but on the whole the Neverlands have a family resemblance, and if they stood still in a row you could say of them that they have each other's nose, and so forth. On these magic shores children at play are for ever beaching their coracles [simple boat]. We too have been there; we can still hear the sound of the surf, though we shall land no more." now about those Natives? Well kids of the 50s would have been expecting steroypes like that since that what would probably have been on Sat morning cartoons. I'm guessing that would probably be the same in Edwardian London where I assume the movie takes place.
Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written byamyrogers April 4, 2009

Adult Written byMira April 9, 2008

bad in many ways

I'm so glad that I previewed this for my 7 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter. I remember hearing some concerns about stereotyping of Native Americans and Tinkerbell's feminine jealousy, but I thought to myself "how bad could it be?" Answer: bad, very bad. The racist stereotyping of Native Americans could not be uglier, and sexism is pervasive throughout the movie (Wendy is nurturing, Tinkerbell is pretty, and they compete for Peter's attention, but Peter's totally self-centered). My daughter thinks she likes Tinkerbell b/c of the current Disney marketing - she's just a pretty fairy right? Wrong, she's jealous and deceitful, and dumb apparently, as she gets tricked and captured by Captain Hook. The movie is dated, and its values & narrative are out of date. With all these problems, the movie is simply not entertaining. Embarrassing is more like it.