Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Funny comedy about a holiday travel nightmare has profanity.

Adult Written byPizza G. May 28, 2017

Soft R-rating for a movie night

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is about as tame as an R-rated picture can be--in fact, the only thing that pushes it over PG-13 is a single scene in which "f--k," is used more than once. Other than that, everything else isn't anything stronger than uses of "s--t," and some mild innuendos. Sometimes funny and sometimes accurately nightmarish.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byKidcritic.com November 27, 2018

Good John Hughes travel film! Fine for olderish tweens

This is a good travel film that's fine for mature tweens 11-12! I give it 3 1/2 stars! It can be a little slow at parts, but certain scenes REALLY make up for it! There is a sexual situation, a scene where the F-Bomb is said 19 times in under 1 1/2 mins (18 by Steve Martin, 1 by another lady- all in the SAME scene), there is also some crude and sexual humor included. But what I'm REALLY surprised about is that no one on here really said anything about the nude pictures! In a cruddy taxi that the two characters ride in, has female nude pictures plastered on the ceiling of the taxi. It is about a 1-3 second moment. You can see female nudity, but nothing TOO graphic (boobs mostly, butts too -nothing else). So my MPAA rating is: R for strong language, a sexual situation, some drinking, thematic elements, brief nude images, smoking, and for some crude and sexual humor. It would be PG-13 if not for the bad language in that one scene. But I'd NEVER be PG! I have no clue how some of these people say it WOULD be PG! Because HECK NO IT WOULD'NT! And the PG-13 rating WAS around in 1987 (the year this movie came out) so it WOULD NOT be PG-13! The ratings were still messed up even AFTER the PG-13 rating was made. But still, this would NOT be PG or PG-13 if even made today. Like I said I'd be a PG-13 if not for the strong language. BUT NOT PG!! So a funny travel film, that also has some sad moments included. Fine for olderish tweens up. Hope this helps!

Adult Written byTikiWillRateYou January 13, 2019

Very good and I reccomend watching

I watched it at 11 and I really liked it. I think the guy at one point he says 50 bad words in one scene which I’d cut out but otherwise I’d watch it!

Adult Written bycinephile-27690 April 18, 2019

R for one scene, perfectly great for mature pre-teens.

This is a fun-and FUNNY classic, that's Rated R for literally one scene, in which the F word is said numerous times in what I think is the best movie scene of all time! Otherwise, this movie is PG-13 level. Just see it all, it's a classic for a reason!

Adult Written byatreyuu2003 April 9, 2019

Great, But NOT For Kids!

I am surprised at how many people think it is okay for kids 11 - 15 to listen to 15 F-bombs within one minute! There excuses are "... the (f-bombs) are only said in a funny way" and "younger kids won't even know what (f-bomb) means." Another person said, "I let my young kids watch (that part). What can I say?" Really? What can you say? How about, "I don't know how to parent properly!" What a bunch of immature boneheads! Kids don't need to "know" what it means. The point is that their ears should NOT be subjected to that kind of language. PERIOD! They are CHILDREN, people! Minus that scene, this movie is PG. You can skip through it. Don't really see the reason it was not edited out before release. It's not conducive to carrying the story forward, whatsoever.

Adult Written bytheemeraldgolem/ August 1, 2015

Hilarious!

Only one in appropriate scene in the whole film where an irate character constantly repeats the F word to a car dealer this was also the funniest part.

Adult Written byparent of 3 April 2, 2015

Comment about the f*** scene

Great movie, my kids enjoyed it; a good overall message about tolerance and differences. Re the car rental scene, with all of the F*** language: I let my kids watch it (ages 7, 10 and 12) rather than try to avoid it. After, my 7-year-old said "maybe if he didn't swear she would help him more". Not much more that I can say...
Adult Written byaidans1 March 20, 2015

Hilarious movie language main problem

The only reason this movie is rated R is because they didn't even have PG-13 back in the 80's the only thing bad is the language there is a lot including one scene were he says 15 f bombs the only thing is the language but kids will usually not repeat.
Parent of a 6, 15, 15, and 17 year old Written by79awesome August 26, 2013

classic

A really good classic movie I enjoyed for ages even my 15 year old enjoys it really funny but eh.. some sex jokes but lol really friendly and a sweet comedy

Adult Written bycritic sense March 4, 2013

Recommended Rating: 8+ for mild sexual references

This film presents some perilous action scenes and mild references to sex that may be inappropriate to young children.

Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 10, 2009

Holiday twice a year film

I laughed and really felt for both characters but many find this flick frusterating thats why I can't tell you wether or not this would interest you.