Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Playing with Fire

Cena charms, but slapstick-heavy comedy doesn't fully spark.

Adult Written byCommon_Sense123 November 9, 2019

Death (spoiler alert)

Overall this movie is fine for kids. But it’s shocking that in the review above, the “death” thematic is not mentioned once (heads up as it’s the entire baseline for the movie). Cena’s dad was killed and it’s a major subplot. The kids are orphans as their partners were also killed. Why would you leave this key piece out of your review!!!???? Now I have to explain to a 7 year old that her parents aren’t going to die (I suppose that’s on me because it is a PG movie after all). But regardless, I ask the good folks at common sense media, why on earth would you leave this out? Speak to the intern that reviewed this please. Many of you out there have sensibilities like mine, so I felt that a warning was in order (there is literally no avoiding this plot of parental death). However, if the word die, killed or death being said 75 times (no joke) isn’t an issue for your kids, then enjoy because the rest of it is actually fine.

Parent of a 2, 5, 6, 13, and 18+ year old Written byJohn T. November 12, 2019

Trashy movie with no message for kids.

It's good if you want your kids to be less intelligent. This film is dull and uninspired.
Adult Written bySwiftmas13 November 7, 2019

Super Family Fun!

We loved it. My 7 year old had so much fun laughing at all the silly shenanigans. John Cena was goofy and fun. It reminded me of the movies I grew up watching in the 90s. No swearing in the film that I heard. Overall a very clean movie. Cleaner than most Pixar films. The kids were cute. I didn’t expect much but I ended up having a great time. My audience was full of other parents and kids and they were into it too. My child never got bored. I didn’t either. It’s silly and fun. Not a Oscar caliber film but it knows that. It’s a solid A plus family film.

Parent Written bypeppermintsue November 16, 2019

Laugh and tears movie

We really enjoyed it. It has some parts minimal fpr grown ups but after all is a human story with funny parts.
Adult Written byBecca33. November 15, 2019

NOT for conservative audience

I was super disappointed with the flash of adult content in this movie. as a Christian family , we were disappointed to have our 3 young boys 9, 7, & 5 sitting there while an adult poster was on the wall in the living quarters of the firefighter guys. It was the back of a women in lingerie. The guy went and ripped it off the wall since the kids were going to be sleeping there. Why add that garbage to an adolescent audience? Also, there were a few slang words and then the main actor wears a tiny my little pony shirt which was in bad taste in my opinion. If you try to keep movies clean for your littles, dont pick this one.
Adult Written byHayden2011 November 12, 2019

Playing with fire review

Its a good movie that all ages will lke.

Adult Written byMkellar November 11, 2019

Wonderful family movie

I took my 6 year old son tonight. We laughed the whole way through. It's wonderfully funny, if not maybe a little cheesey.

Adult Written byFilmreviews.org November 11, 2019
Parent of a 12 year old Written byltcolkep November 9, 2019

Just for fun!

This isn’t a movie that will win an Oscar. The outcome is predictable. But it’s a very fun movie — full of slapstick humor. Our audience laughed all the way through it and obviously enjoyed it. A good relief from all the stuff going on in the world. Highly recommended if you want to come out of the theater with anxiety relieves by a good belly laugh.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byNunyaa November 9, 2019

Fun movie

Fun movie, but it did drag a little in the middle for my 6yr old. I'd skew it younger, but there's a lot of dialogue which may bore some younger viewers, but enough slapstick that it should still make a 4-5 yr old giggle at times, so your mileage may vary.

Good adult role models.

Adult Written byJosh R. November 8, 2019

Not good

I knew this movie was gonna be bad from when I walked in, so I wasn't surprised when this movie wasn't good at all.