Kid reviews for Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World

More romance than history, but kids will enjoy.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 13 years old Written byLookingatfilmsa... July 12, 2020

A Cash Grab

During the time films like pochahontus one were made (known as the Disney renaissance), straight-to-home-video sequels were made years later by Disney as a way to make money off the success of the original films. Like in pochahontus two, these films often contain weak scripts, low-quality animation, and were made on a low budget.
When I was a kid, I watched this film and was quite confused by the inconsistencies and complete disregard for the meaningful ending to the first film. Friends of mine also felt that the story of pochahontus two harmed their love of the first film and changes the relatable and sophisticated characters.
This film was simply made as a way to make money, so don't bother watching it unless you want to be dissapointed by the way this film completely disregards the well-developed character dynamics established in the original film.
Teen, 16 years old Written byvolleyball29 May 8, 2020

it doesn’t make sense

this completely ruined the first one for me. the ending of the first one seems like number 2 will be about john smith and pocahontas, but it’s not. this movie should have never been made. they should have just left it as the ending of the first one :(
Kid, 8 years old November 27, 2015

Some Scenes May Scare 4 And Under.

Okay, I Understand If You're Done Right Now, Beacause I'm Going To Talk About The Scary Scenes. Let's Start On What To Focus On Most. Children May Be Scared Of The Jesters In The Song "Things Are Not What They Appear", (Especially When They Take Off Their Heads, And It Looks Like Their Mask, But Under, There Is No Head, And When One Of Them Dress Like A Jestery Version Of Pocahontas In Her English-Like Outfit). Children Who Are Young Enough To Be Scared Of This, But Old Enough To Understand What's Going On Might Be Scared When The Bear Comes Out, And When The Guards Try To Get Pocahontas And John Rolfe.You May Leave Now, But If You Like Reading Full Reviews, Stay, There's More. Great Messages: Stand Up For What You Believe In. Great Role Models: None. Violence: Many Death Threats. Sex: Pocahontas Is In Love With John Rolfe. Language: None.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJerrQ May 16, 2015
Pocahontas II was a good enough movie, though there could have been more. The ending seemed very abrupt as the final battle scene wasn't quite as climatic as I had hoped. Still, it's an enjoyable movie with some nice songs. However, one should note that children might be scared by the Jesters in the "Things Are Not What They Appear" scene during the Hunt Ball.

To me, Pocahontas is one of the more inspirational Disney Princesses, alongside Mulan and Belle.

Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 October 30, 2011

Okay, but historically inaccurate like #1

This movie was okay; it was slightly worse than the first one (not that the first one was horrible). Like the first Pocahontas film, this one is historically inaccurate. Pocahontas did not go to England in order to stop a potential; she was captured by the Englishmen. SPOILER When she was there, she married John Raffel, not because she wasn't in love with John Smith anymore. END OF SPOILER There is some violence (but less than the first one), and in one scene a bear is abused and used for entertaiment purposes, but Pocahontas finds this cruel. A romantic relationship forms between Pocahontas and John Raffel.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake July 15, 2010

Not the best they could have done...

Eh.. well it wasn't the 'worst' sequile disney made, but they really messed up on this. The animation seemed hardly worked on and the voices were off match. Pocahontas didnt seem like herself at all and the people in England were dorky. They made Pocahontas dress 'normal' and she breaks into song a lot (it wasnt a good song) I dont know they just messed it up, John Smith was acting completely different, snobby, sassy, bossy. Pocahontas seemed more 'trampy' I mean she met John Smith and they fell in love, all of a sudden she turns around and takes Rolfe (In real life she was young when she met Smith and they didn't fall in love, but when she was older she did marry Rolfe)

Educational Value
Teen, 14 years old Written byMariodude23 May 14, 2010

Off for anyone over the age of 4.

This movie just bored me. The story telling is so fragmented, the characters have no visible personality, their message is very ham fisted and pretentious, and Pocahontas prances around in medieval undergarments at one point. It will baby sit your little kid, but you will be bored by it. If you want a good Disney DTV sequel, get the Lion King 2, or Bambi 2.

Teen, 16 years old Written bylady_bug January 29, 2010

awful waste of time! i had liked the character john smith from the origonal movie, but this is just AWFUL!!!

i absolutely love the origional pocahontas movie (its in my top 5 fave movies) but i have to say, this sequel was dissapointing. I had high hopes for this movie, but only in the first scene john smith falls of a house. pocahontas seems more laid back in the begining, and not the spunky character from the first movie. the character john smith is not correspondent to the character from the first movie- he is pushy, arrogant and in general, not expected. the voice isnt the same either. and i do not believe that pocahontas would have picked john rolfe over john smith, even though she thought john smith was dead. the way the characters acted in the first movie, you wouldnt think pocahontas would forget about john smith a month after he died, and then pick some other guy over him when she found out her "true love" was alive? this movie was such a disapointment i am considering writing a complaint letter to the person in charge.

Kid, 10 years old November 19, 2008

sort of scary, but overall, its a great movie!!!

good movie, sort of scary when she goes to the ball and the bear starts roaring, about loving and believing!