All parent member reviews for Pocahontas

Parent of a 2 year old Written byslm76 September 8, 2009

This movie is rated G but I don't see how. It has a tremendous amount of violence and fighting, which is really the main plot of the movie. The British want to "kill" the "savages" (american indians)and this concept is discussed and attempted throughout most of the movie. There isn't much more plot than the fighting, except that John Smith and Pocahontas fall in love and make out. If you show this movie to your child be prepared to discuss shotguns (many shots are taken), death, drowing, and what the word savage means (mentioned dozens of times)
Adult Written bynduns April 17, 2011

Kind of average, really

Ah yes, we all remember the Disney Renaissance as the best time for Disney films. However, there were two particular films that, at least in my eyes, came across as just okay, Hercules and this one. However, what I feel makes this a tad better than Hercules is that it not only takes itself more seriously but the characters aren't quite as bland. That said, though, it's nothing special. The best things about the film are the animations and the songs. Menken has never failed to impress me, and this soundtrack is no exception. It's simply beautiful to listen to. The animations are also spectacular, looking very much like a painting and demonstrating many great tactics. That said, though, it annoys me how John Smith is the only character who really develops despite Pocahontas being the title character and how the chemistry between the two lovers is almost non-existent. Seriously, I felt a friendship between the two, but no love. It also doesn't help that Mel Gibson didn't seem to be trying his best this time around. All in all, an okay film but nothing special.
Parent Written byicountbeans February 4, 2013

Should not have a G rating

I dont want to comment on the historical accuracy. It's a Disney movie produced with Mel Gibson. It's not accurate. You can pretty much assume that. There is one other review on here who said it perfectly. It is a film about horrible English settlers bent on nothing but collecting gold and murdering "savages." In between all of the talk of pillaging and savagery there is some kind of a love story, which was completely unnecessary, and really beautiful music and animation. It came so close to having a beautiful story, but it was truly buried in the declarations of war. And then, a character is murdered with a shotgun. So that was the end for me and my four year old. I assumed that a G rating means no one was shot to death, but apparently I was wrong. Aside from that, the soundtrack is lovely. I would buy it without the movie for younger kids if they liked it. The nature sequences are very well crafted, but difficult to discern in the context of the rest of the movie. As an adult, I found it kind of tedious and unbelievable (Pocahontas learns English in about four phrases). I would not watch it again on my own, and the story line is too difficult for my pre-K to follow (her take: a bunch of people seemed really angry at each other and almost got in a fight).
Adult Written byMadameChung March 9, 2012

DUDES HAVE HEARD OF ARTISIC LICENESE?

DUDES HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF ARTISTIC LICENSE? That is what happening. The animators KNEW the real facts. But they took an artistic license with the story. Oh and for another thing this movie WAS NOT for the kinder gardeners. I love this movie
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLila Jo May 1, 2011

Pocahontas rocks!

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a great move.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Too violent!

Yes, I know it was a violent time but this is a kid's movie, for goodness sake! It would have been sufficient to show 30 seconds of fighting and then move on but no, Disney has to go on and on. I'm sure the fight scenes were only a couple of minutes long but that was long enough for me to turn it off. Definately not for the under 8s and questionable even for older ones.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAbbyJMom December 13, 2012

Good movie but know your kid and their fears

I find it hard to believe that this is a G rated movie. I loved it as a kid. My daughter is 6 1/2 and it was too scary for her. I know other kids her age that would love it. This is definitely a movie that I think you need to know your kid and understand their fears.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

Inaccurate in the details, but right-on in general!

Love this movie. Yes, the details are inaccurate, but it does depict the white man's racism and pillaging of the Native American people and land. It's done in a way that is age appropriate for children and also introduces the idea that spirit is everywhere, including nature. Beautiful message and wonderful heroine.