Kid reviews for Priest

Sci-fi vampire tale has weak characters, heavy violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAbe1998 September 16, 2012

Pretty good, but it should have been rated R.

This movie is about a Priest who becomes a vampire hunter. He was one a long time ago, but after the vampire war, everything changed. Him and others like him didn't fit in with the society.

Violence 8/10: Several scenes with a lot of blood and gore. In one scene, an axe is thrown into someone's head (and it's shown.) Also, thing like chicken's heads being cut off, severed limbs, a vampire's torso being cut open, and people getting bitten by vampires are shown. Also, the animated title sequence is very violent as well, including people's heads being blown off and eyes being cut out.

Language 7/10: Language is brief but strong. Actually, all I remember hearing was a use of the f-word.

Sexual content 2/10: A part where a girl's top is unbuttoned, showing some cleavage.

A legit movie overall that I would recommend for ages 14 and up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 July 24, 2012

Very Violent vampire action movie should have been R

Extremely violent with some blood. This movie was close in content to Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, despite the rating difference. Not for kids

Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 25, 2012

priest 2 please!

this balletic action film mixes together over-the-top gore, and fluid, amazing action sequences. the opening scene is the goriest of them all, but expect constant gore in other scenes. there are guns, knives, whips, explosions, and a vampire pulls out a mans heart.

Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 6, 2011

Ultra-Violent action thriller is NOT at all a PG-13

Honestly, I really don't know why I often dont really mind the movies that get killed by critics and everyone else. I really don't know why this keeps happening, but I really didn't think that Priest was all that bad. In fact, I actually enjoyed some of the action scenes and some of the visuals. Oh well, I guess I just have problems or something. But, even though I did actually like Priest, I have to stress that, like Sucker Punch, Priest is not worthy of the PG-13 Rating that it is given. Not at all. Honestly, I don't have a clue as to how it got this rating. The opning animation sequence should seel the deal already, with it's gruesome carnage and blood soaked decapitations and dismemberments, which is all weorthty of a hard R, let alone a PG-13. Many teens will love it, but many will also be thoroughly disturbed by the explicit violence that is one screen. Also, there is some infrequent by strong profanity, including a extremely unecesary and baffling use of the F-word. But that's about it. Jut don't expect to be blown out of your seats.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter August 20, 2011

Very. . . interesting.

Priest was one of those movies that tried to be too many things at once. Western, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, horror, fantasy, and that kind of makes it confusing as to what style it really is.
The violence in the acutal movie was rather low, but the opening was EXTREMELY gorey. I would be sitting here for hours if I tried to list every little thing that happened in the opening (which is in a manga-style animation), but what really stood out to me was the fact that someone got his eyes litterally knocked out of his head (O_O). I've seen a bit of violent (and disturbing) anime before, but this somehow topped it all. It was litterally blood-soaked.
Moving on, there's very little in the issue of sexual content. There is a bit of language, infrequent but rather strong.
The acting was good, and though it seemed to be a bit of a mess, I quite enjoyed this film. The style of the vampires was a breath of fresh air after being tourmented by the crappier vamps of this time in the media *coughtwilightchough*, and the visual effects were fantastic.
Over all, it wasn't amazing, but it wasn't completely horrible either. Just. . . interesting.

Teen, 14 years old Written byilenee. May 31, 2011

don't waste your money on this. Go for a different movie

This is a review from my friend.
she believes that the movie was boring and not worth your money. she says it wasn't as action packed as she thought it would be, and she doesn't understand what some of the characters were saying.
definitly an off.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 May 14, 2011

i thought it was going to be better than this

What to watch out for

Messages:
The movie's futuristic world as a whole is so depressing that kids are unlikely to come away with much hope. However, the main character doesn't really exhibit much problematic behavior; he appears to be a loner, but he does successfully team up with others, and together they manage to solve a large problem. But he's forced to disobey his superiors to rescue a family member and to help save humanity. The movie also takes a dismal view of powerful organized religion.

Role models:
The main character is a priest and a vampire killer; while he's brave, resourceful, and responsible and works well with others, he's also very dour and depressed. He has trouble clinging to his faith, and he occasionally seems tempted by worldly pleasures, though he never succumbs.

Violence:
Strong fantasy violence, with monster and vampire attacks, fighting, explosions, guns and shooting, knives and stabbing, plus other fantasy-type weapons. While the blood in most of the movie isn't overwhelming, an animated title sequence features extremely heavy gore. Plus, a vampire attacks a human and sucks his blood dry (he leaves the human with some white foam coming out of his mouth). And in another scene, a vampire seemingly pulls a man's heart out of his chest.

Sex:
Some slight sexual innuendo. A teen girl returns from "town" with the top button of her dress undone. Other characters discreetly discuss possible sexual encounters that may have occurred in the past.

Language:
"F--k" is heard once; other language is also infrequent but includes "s--t," "godd--n," "son of a bi-ch," and "h--l."

Consumerism: