Kid reviews for Princess Cyd

Indie coming-of-age story has language and sex.

Based on 1 review
Teen, 15 years old Written byNancy L August 23, 2018

Was okay for the first part of the movie, but was disappointing and upsetting towards the end

I loved this movie up until a scene towards the end of the movie. The movie was great, the characters were in love, and there were no problems or homophobia mentioned with the girls falling in love in the movie - up until this point. Well, there was no homophobia that I can remember at all in the movie, so the writer/director gets points for that. Unfortunately, just as the girls were getting together, something happens that while it is a spoiler, I think every parent and person going into watching this movie should be warned about: Katie is home alone with her brother's friend, and the friend attempts to rape her. Nothing is explicitly shown in the movie, and he doesn't succeed (she knocks him out), but it ruined the whole movie for me. This scene was completely unnecessary, and it had little to no impact on the events following. There was this happy wlw movie, and no one was drowning in self hatred or internalized homophobia, and there were no sexuality crises, and I loved that. I started crying halfway through the movie once I realized that (well, I didn't realize it because it wasn't true). And then I was completely devastated and disappointed when I realized that it wasn't true.