Kid reviews for Queen of Katwe

Inspiring true tale of girl Ugandan chess champ.

Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2017

Queen Of Katwe Is A Must See!

Queen Of Katwe is a movie about how 10 year old Phiona living in Katwe in Kampala, Uganda, is a constant struggle for 10-year-old Phiona and her family. Her world changes one day when she meets Robert Katende a missionary who teaches children how to play chess. Phiona becomes fascinated with the game and soon becomes a top player under Katende's guidance. Her success in local competitions and tournaments opens the door to a bright future and a golden chance to escape from a life of poverty. (Google summary) This movie is amazing. It brings many lessons and doesn't gloss them over or brush it off like it's nothing. This movie can change your life if you let it. Some of it may be boring for little kids, since it's almost 2 hours long. But don't worry you won't be wasting your time on watching it. I would highly recommend it to any family. No language at all, or sexual things except that Night, Phiona's sister gets pregnant from boyfriend. But seriously watch it! Maybe you'll become a chess champion!

Teen, 13 years old Written byitsdanaeagain January 14, 2017

Empowering Movie

This movie was really inspiring and eye-opening. The quality was beautiful, the storyline was perfect. The fact that it was based off a real story, was even better. I fell in love with all the characters, and I began to wish I played chess myself. While there were times in the movie where the sex-refrences made me cringe a little, I enjoyed it overall. The ending was pleasant and I felt it was a nice conclusion..

Kid, 11 years old December 18, 2017

Great inspiring movie!

This was a really good movie. It was inspiring and had really good messages. There was only one very short part in the movie, not even a real scene, that referred to something inappropriate, and even then it was not bad at all. The only reason I say 10+ is because it could be too sad, scary, or hard to follow for younger kids, not because it was inappropriate or anything.

Kid, 10 years old April 21, 2018

THE BEST! BEST! BEEEEEEEESSSTTTT!!!!

THE BEST MOVIE EVER! Anyway: a 9-year-old Ugandan girl Phiona Mutesi becomes the world chess champion in a daring battle across the board, filled with mere pawns trying to reach the edge and become a queen. Watch this movie! You must!