Parent reviews for Rashomon

Rashomon Poster Image

A fantastic film of light and truth

A gorgeous film...the light, the shadow, the score, the perspectives, the maniacal laughter. It seems everyone has taken big chunks from this script and filming style. This film is about the ambiguity of truth and the motivations of our narratives and how we are all fallible. I mean he even makes the medium seem credible. There are many voices and a lot of light through leaves and it all comes together in the shape of a baby that is somehow hope for the future of mankind...or maybe not, perhaps if it would have been a bit more overcast instead of sunny...

Maybe the Greatest Film of All Time

This movie is simply AMAZING! It is appropriate for almost all ages, but I don't think kids under eleven will appreciate it. This movie is though provoking, entertaining, and extremely intriguing. I highly recommend it.

Shocking treatment of rape victim by all concerned.

The major problem with this movie is the assumption, shared by all the characters, that a woman who is raped becomes defiled by this, that she is no longer worthy of being married, that her husband can reject her and that, really, she should do the decent thing and kill herself. It might be best to go along prepared to discuss this afterwards, rather than the somewhat dated use of the unreliable narrator.

teens will (hopefully) enjoy while kids wont understand the message

THIS FILM HAS NO VIOLENCE. (on screen) it all takes place within the imagination. The main thing that makes it for 13 year olds, is that it has a lot of talking and the ideas that it spreads.