Parent reviews for Red Riding Hood

Twilight-esque fairy-tale thriller mixes sexuality, horror.

Adult Written bymarclare December 28, 2011

Pretty good...

It was good, and I enjoyed it, except... hmm, I don't know, let's see... oh! I know! The part when they burn my faorite character alive?! It was good, and I enjoyed the mystery, and I never would have guessed the wolf was... you'll have to watch the movie and find out!

Adult Written bygotiawolf March 17, 2011
before you offer opinions on hollywoods version of anything try some thing novel read the original stories.
So we have violence, teen/young adult exploration of sexual matters. involvement of the church etc. That is life. For those that are not aware of it this and many other of the Grimm stories
take place during the time of the Inquisition , witch burnings, and the time When the The Malleus Maleficarum was The law .
Here is an excerpt from that law, If a witch be taken her whole family shall be taken. She shall be bound and rowed to the deepest part of the water. There to be thrown in. If she float she and her family shall be hung. if she drown she shall be declared innocent and she and her family freed.

There is enough evidence in the records held by the RCC to support the theory that the modern conception of a witch is what a young woman would look like after being release by the inquisition after being declared innocent of being a witch.

For all the Parents out there all it took to be declared a witch was being a woman and educated in any way. Have a special recipe for ginger bread? your a witch.
Adult Written byOZ.dad February 7, 2020

Lacking

Movie moves at a slow pace yet feels quick... Script needed work as obvious clues dropped in left nothing to the imagination.

A lot of sexualised cinematography, sexual tension and suggestive foreplay..

Adult Written byLakeside May 3, 2012

Please don't bother watching this.

The sexual inuendo in this movie is bad but the most disturbing part was watching a village turn on each other. No one speaks up or uses their brains. They only listen to whoever shouts the loudest. To them the only option is to kill, torture or betray others or else they'll get eaten by the werewolf. They ask no questions and the ends always justify the means. Consequently everyone pays a hefty price for it. It's painful to watch.

Adult Written byreviewer1889 March 13, 2012

Okay, really people.....

First off, the original Red Riding Hood was gruesome in nature as well. Don't let the fact that it was a little girl skipping to visit her grandmother betray the fact that in the end the father had to rip open the wolf to retrieve the grandmother and Red(who were stewing in wolf intestine and whatnot for hours) in the first place. The fact that this movie added something more to it should have been expected because it was meant for teens. I don't imagine teens going to the movies to simply watch a little girl get gobbled up. The directing was....okay. I don't find Catherine very original or creative in the least bit but she gets the job done to the point where its at least remotely enjoyable. As for the message of the film, it did send a rather poor message for teens. Isolating oneself to be for somebody you think your in love with is never plausible by any means. But then again, think of the setting. This is supposed to take place centuries before common sense took a more effective role in people's lives. Running away to be with your 'true love' wasn't so unthought of. Yes, it was still really bad and reflected poorly on the entire family and all that mumbo jubo with reputation. Just because it was directed by Twilight lady doesn't mean the setting and messages are in the same context.

As for the sex. Yes there is going to be sex. Try as we might, teens are discovering their sexual nature earlier than the older generation and we can't stop them. All this "dont watch this stuff" only moves to make it come across as more attractive.
Adult Written byJulia from Sweden October 26, 2011

Not what I expected, tame.

Twilight-esque is the word for this film, I also think that is precisely wrong for a horror film. If you liked twilight here's more of the same for you.
--->>A character gets locked up inside a brazen bull.
Adult Written byBishop Loves Gir September 14, 2011

Like no other (in a good way)

A great movie.Its violent sad a sexual but great.I loved it.My family loved it.We didnt know why it was two stars it was to good to be true lol well the movie was great and parents should watch it!

Parent of a 9 and 12-year-old Written byMel739 August 1, 2011

Great teen and up movie!

I had to discuss with my kids several key points afterwards about violence/sex/relationships. However, I loved this movie and my kids did too.

Adult Written byhdbabe49 July 22, 2011

FANTASTIC

I absolutely loved the movie. Yes it might be scary for younger than 13. But it was a great movie with suspence. And kids now days might think OMG it's a great movie under 13, who really knows now days!
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byMaw2 July 14, 2011

Not another one of those.

I was very disapointed in this one. The story was predictable. The movie was too dark. Slow in too many places and the content was discusting.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 12, 2011

13 and up.

Red Riding Hood is an average movie based on the novel story book stars with Amanda Seyfried this movie will surely entertain your young teens and parents you need to know that the Red Riding Hood has a lot of strong violence some sensuality and some drinking used.

Parent of a 2-year-old Written bythesavants08 April 7, 2011

Not for tween, iffy for teens, but not a good movie all around in general

I saw this movie with a friend, and I would not let my tweens see it for sure. In the style of Twilight it talks about leaving her family for a boy and doing anything for that boy. Her dad is portrayed as an alcoholic. You have a mom that just wants her kids married to someone who can care for them without any care for if her daughter loves the person. The sexual content was about a 9/10. There is some sexual behavior between two girls just to get a guys attention. There are moments between a guy and a girl quite often. They find family secrets of the town about how kids aren't belonging to their actual fathers. There is also a good amount of violence. It's a very iffy movie even for high schoolers. To be honest it wasn't even that great. My friend fell asleep!

Parent of a 6, 9, and 12-year-old Written byoakhillsdrive March 29, 2011

"My, what steamy scene you have."

I will tell you that I went to see if for me. I am a fan of Catherine Hardwicke, the director of Twilight, and Gary Oldman, so I thought I'd give it a chance. It is very sexual in nature and very adult in some of the things that happen. Definitely, not good examples for kids. Definitely not something I'd see again.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byChiqken lover March 19, 2011
I loved it is a cool movie to seee

Adult Written bymharper23 March 17, 2011

Good scary movie

There was no language but the word harlot and witch. It was a good movie. There was some scary scenes with the wolf. There were positive role models. There were some sexual scenes that were not appropriate for young kids. All in all it was a good movie!

Parent of a 6, 9, and 11-year-old Written byscrymi March 13, 2011

hahahaha

Good movie no matter what the reviews say. Kinda gory though. you can never guess the wolf.

Parent of a 8-year-old Written bycone March 11, 2011