Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Red State

Startlingly violent, intense Kevin Smith shocker.

Based on 1 review

Adult Written byAl F. June 12, 2018

When will it end?

First off having seen the movie it has potential, there are twist and turns, and the director does not follow all the "rules" moviegoers expect and that is the best part of the movie, however, what is missing is flow, I feel a disconnect between scenes and some scenes are way too long. I know the director wants to build tension but to hear a lunatic rant for what seemed like 5 minutes was a bit much no clues the rant will end until you say to yourself finally we are going to move on. These teenagers are too cynical and appear too street smart to fall for the stunt they are tricked into. The dumb one should of drawn the others in but a big disconnect. Some good scenes and other scenes just wasted. To drive by the main lunatic without a focus on his crazy stare, you see him in the background you see him without a sign and kind of apart from everyone, but you are not sure, one second you hear dialog like it is coming from some political correctness re-education camp the next second dialog is usual. Goodman's initial scene is too long, and this is where you can feel that this is a low budget movie. If you are a Kevin Smith fan, watch the film for a feel of where he is at directing and writing.