Parent reviews for Requiem for a Dream

Requiem for a Dream Poster Image

This is one of the greatest films ever made, and my favourite film from Aronofsky. Be warned tough, this movie is very depressing and very horrific to sit through. So just be warned

It isn’t necessary to be that explicit to show drugs are bad

Definitely not for teens under 18. Maybe only for those that are struggling already with drugs. Very depressing, sex explicit. Leaves you with garbage in your mind. I couldn’t go on watching many scenes even being an adult.

Emotionally Draining and Incredibly Powerful

Requiem for a Dream is a film that is rather a character study on four intertwining personas each struggling with a downward spiral of drugs, body dysmorphia, and prostitution. The characters soon realize that their addictions cannot be kept at bay and they will go to great and disturbing lengths to get their fix. Terrifying, dark, and incredibly powerful, Requiem for a Dream is a film that is impressive from all angles and has no trouble getting its message across. Watching this once was enough for me as it is full of drugs in various forms, graphic nudity and sex scenes, and some scenes of disturbing violence. The film is very mature which is to be expected from the subject matter. However aside from this, it is an incredible film with potential and definitely should be watched at least once.

This movie should be mandatory for every teenager.

I first saw this movie when I was a teen. I only saw it once, but once was more than enough - it left a lasting impression on me and I never once desired to try drugs or alcohol after watching it. This is a very real, very gruesome and explicit look at what drugs do to people. The main characters start out looking vibrant, healthy, mostly cheerful, with dreams for their future; after becoming addicted to drugs, they give up on everything (morals, relationships, etc) just to get a fix. There is graphic non-consensual sex, coercion, etc; this movie shows exactly how "just a little bit" can snowball into a trainwreck that ruins you and everyone around you. PARENTS: make no mistake, this is a horrific movie with graphic imagery. But I guarantee it will have a lasting impact on your teen and will give them the resolve to resist drugs and alcoholism. Two decades later, I am now a mom and I will absolutely make my daughter watch this when she is old enough to handle it and understand why I want her to see it.

Amazing movie but NOT FOR KIDS

While this is quite possibly the most depressing, disturbing and emotionally draining movie I've ever seen, its also one of the best. As a work of art, this film is basically perfect; it crafts a poetic modern tragedy that climaxes in what is probably the most emotionally powerful and disturbing ending of a film I've ever seen. The last 10 minutes of this movie are perfectly edited, and its so powerful, it wouldn't stop replaying in my head for two days (and seeing how I've seen a lot of "disturbing movies" in my life, that's really saying a lot). The only flaw I could find in the film is one of the characters goes to a hospital with an infected arm and gets arrested without being treated (they would treat you first even if you were guilty). The film depicts drug use in a way that is weirdly simultaneously romanticized and dramatized. Due to the emotional weight of the film, and MANY inappropriate things (its rated NC-17 for a reason), I wouldn't in all consciousness recommend this to a child, especially a younger one. If you're an adult or mature teen, and you want to cry yourself to sleep tonight, definitely check this one out.

Total garbage

I had to watch this show for a film appreciation class and found the experience revolting. The first part of the film is relatively innocuous, but the second half is awful. This film contains EXPLICIT nudity, sex, heavy drug use and language. It exposes some of the most vile and realistic aspects of the drug culture and particularly the sex trade. The forced lesbian sex show (in which neither woman was consenting) along with several scenes with the pimp were particularly revolting. Women are constantly being degraded portrayed solely as mere sexual objects. The film shows women in a EXTREMELY negative and degrading light. The entire movie is a downer, the opposite of a feel good movie and will leave feeling depressed and confused. I honestly do not recommend it for any age group due to its completely depressing nature. I suppose the only positive aspect of the film is that it renews awareness and hatred of the drug and sex trades, which from that perspective, it certainly has it's purpose. If you choose to watch this film, that is entirely your decision, but it is not for ANYONE under the age of 18.

Dark, disturbing, depressing and violent movie about drugs and it's consequences both physically & mentally.

Requiem for a Dream is a movie that intensely depicts the environment, behaviors, and the depressing lives of a couple severe drug addicts, in which they slowly start to plunge into their downfall throughout the movie. The main concern about this movie is the pervasive and graphic drug use scenes where the main characters inject/shoot up heroin, cocaine, and one older woman abuses weight loss pills which causes her to hallucinate and experience terrifying visions. Violence is infrequent, but it's mostly very realistic, disturbing and hard to watch. Language is strong (uses of the f-word, motherf**ker, anatomical and religious profanities); and the sex in the movie is graphic, strong and there's scenes where it reveals full-frontal nudity (breasts, buttocks, pubic region, and genitalia); especially the scene where one of the characters shares a double sided sex toy with another woman and they're forced to have sex with each other (which is brought on at a strip club), and is very disturbing to watch. Very mature teenagers MIGHT can watch this, maybesome parental supervision in case they won't get influenced by this.

Depressing stuff.

This was a pretty good movie, although I have to be honest, I thought it could've been better! I felt that the mother's situation with her addiction to pills took over most of the story, especially her hallucinations just seemed to drag on. However, I think it really gives you an idea of how intense drug-use can be and that users will do absolutely anything to get their next fix. Really depressing movie. If you want to see something very similar but 10 times better (in my opinion) go watch the true story "The Basketball Diaries" (starring Leonardo DiCaprio) - now THAT is an AMAZING movie!!!

Positive Message: DRUGS ARE BAD

This is an excellent movie. It is also one of the most disturbing films I have seen- that is saying something. There is nudity, violence, and drug use like you have never seen. The reason that I feel even young teens should see this movie is simple. Teens WILL be exposed to drugs and this movie will show them what happens to addicts. This movie takes away all the glamour that other shows associate with drugs. It is a movie kids will remember when they are offered a hit of drugs. If they see it they will not take the hit.