All parent member reviews for Requiem for a Dream

Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace July 4, 2011

Positive Message: DRUGS ARE BAD

This is an excellent movie. It is also one of the most disturbing films I have seen- that is saying something. There is nudity, violence, and drug use like you have never seen. The reason that I feel even young teens should see this movie is simple. Teens WILL be exposed to drugs and this movie will show them what happens to addicts. This movie takes away all the glamour that other shows associate with drugs. It is a movie kids will remember when they are offered a hit of drugs. If they see it they will not take the hit.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypurpledots November 23, 2010

Fine for teens

Excellent movie. Tons of good messages here but at times a little disturbing. Everyone should see it at some point in their life. I think it is fine for teens, the first time I saw it I was a teen.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

No kids.

This is a movie all about drug use. It's awful, but it doesn't glorify it, that being said there's also a sex scene with two fully naked people as well as other explicit sexual scenes that make this movie a no for me. Good for adults, bad for kids.
Adult Written byappy polly loggies January 1, 2010

depressing, amazing directing

A great movie, but the most depressing movie I have ever seen. It is very anti-drug since all the charcters are left with no hope. The real version of this movie is NC-17 for sexual content. The main reason why it got the NC-17 is because it shows 2 girls engaging in a graphic sexual act. There is also a graphic sex scene that lasts about 30 seconds. Drug content is present thoughout the movie and it is graphically shown, but it is not by any means promoting drug use; it is discouraging drug use and selling. Great movie, but extremely depressing and pretty graphic sexually. MINIMUM age:16
Adult Written bychristian2011 November 7, 2012

Dark, disturbing, depressing and violent movie about drugs and it's consequences both physically & mentally.

Requiem for a Dream is a movie that intensely depicts the environment, behaviors, and the depressing lives of a couple severe drug addicts, in which they slowly start to plunge into their downfall throughout the movie. The main concern about this movie is the pervasive and graphic drug use scenes where the main characters inject/shoot up heroin, cocaine, and one older woman abuses weight loss pills which causes her to hallucinate and experience terrifying visions. Violence is infrequent, but it's mostly very realistic, disturbing and hard to watch. Language is strong (uses of the f-word, motherf**ker, anatomical and religious profanities); and the sex in the movie is graphic, strong and there's scenes where it reveals full-frontal nudity (breasts, buttocks, pubic region, and genitalia); especially the scene where one of the characters shares a double sided sex toy with another woman and they're forced to have sex with each other (which is brought on at a strip club), and is very disturbing to watch. Very mature teenagers MIGHT can watch this, maybesome parental supervision in case they won't get influenced by this.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 14, 2012

Depressing stuff.

This was a pretty good movie, although I have to be honest, I thought it could've been better! I felt that the mother's situation with her addiction to pills took over most of the story, especially her hallucinations just seemed to drag on. However, I think it really gives you an idea of how intense drug-use can be and that users will do absolutely anything to get their next fix. Really depressing movie. If you want to see something very similar but 10 times better (in my opinion) go watch the true story "The Basketball Diaries" (starring Leonardo DiCaprio) - now THAT is an AMAZING movie!!!