Parent reviews for RoboCop

RoboCop Poster Image

Correction to ratings

"A corporation that controls the local police force is portrayed as corrupt." is a positive message, so don't say there are no positive messages. It's actually the main message of the movie.

2 people found this helpful.

Maybe the Greatest Movie Ever Made

Stand down 'Citizen Kane' Go home 'E.T.' RoboCop is quite possibly the greatest movie ever committed to film. Set in a future/past that is by turns grimy and ultra modern, RoboCop is a hyper-violent movie about the abhorrence of violence. While Verhoven seems to relish the blood and gore he splashes around the screen like cheap paint, the point of the film is not to praise violence, but to condemn it. In the movie a version of Detroit is in the throes of a violent drug war, the only problem is, the seemingly good guys are the people orchestrating and profiting from the drugs. Megacorp OCP, and it's CEO Dick Jones, are not only making boatloads of money in the black market drug trade, but profiting doubly by selling expensive, malfunctioning police equipment to the city's beleaguered police force. Enter our hero: Alex Murphy. An honest, working city cop who just wants to make his city a better place for his family. When he and his partner track down a gang of drug dealers, Murphy's life is seemingly ended in a hail of gunfire. Luckily, OCP is there to transform Murphy into a machine of justice: RoboCop. This is where Verhoeven's anti-violence message becomes more clear. Murphy sets out to fix his city as a police officer, which means the likely use of violence. In his pursuit of peace he is forced into a violent situation wherein his humanity, if not his life, are stripped away from him through the violent acts of violent men. Reborn as an inhuman tool of violence, RoboCop, Murphy visits extreme violence upon those that first assailed him, the drug dealers. Having discovered the connection between his murderers and his re-makers Murphy's humanity begins to come back to him as he seeks vengeance upon the people who stripped him of his humanity, OCP. Only in destroying that which made him can Murphy learn the truth about who he was and what he has become. Like so many great cultural statements, RoboCop couches its message in sci-fi and many viewers may loose sight of its message. But RoboCop is a highly moral, if highly violent, parable AGAINST violence.
2 people found this helpful.

I tried watching it once and gave up after half an hour because of the F word every five minutes.

1 person found this helpful.

An ultra violent Sci Fi movie!

If you didn't know this already. Robocop is extremely gory/violent. In one scene the main character "Murphy" was being tortured by criminals. His hand was completely blown of by a shotgun, and then his arm was completely decapitated by another shot gun blast, then followed by more shots, as he is screaming in agonizing pain, followed by a fatal blow to the head. This movie is filled with gory scenes. Many uses of drugs such as cocaine. Lot's of swearing, around 20-30 uses of the F bomb. 18+

"Your move, creep."

This is a very good movie with a great story and great acting. If you want less gore, watch the theatrical cut instead of the extended cut.

A gleefully violent action movie that is engaging and tons of fun!

It's full of hard-hitting, heart pounding, bloody, painful and just plain badass action, and some of the best one-liners ever in an 80's action movie! Yeah, i highly recommend this action masterpiece!

dead or alive you're coming with me

(This review is for the uncut version), after hearing many great things about this, I decided to check it out on Netflix and I really enjoyed it, then I saw the uncut version several weeks later and I loved it even more, the director's cut is the only way to see it, robocop has all the things I like, nonstop action, dark humor, blood and gore, satire, a fast pace, great performances, and cheesy one liners, I'd buy that for a dollar ;)

Ultraviolent and intentionally over the top

Maybe it wasn't the movie's intention to be comical, but I know it was! The violence, language and characters in general in "RoboCop" is so gloriously over the top, it's like every scene is like when Django is shooting everyone on the plantation, and when he shoots them they got blown back like a gust of wind. The visual effects are marvelous to look at, when there aren't 80 guns going off onscreen at one time. It's cheesy, it's ludicrous, but it's some of the most 80s action fun I've had with a movie, and bless Peter Weller for that chin of his, it did all the acting for him. Don't let your kid watch this movie, because they'll want to, it's a very adult satire on corporations and even movie violence, it almost got the X rating!