Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Rocketman

Glittery, glam rock musical soars; expect sex and drugs.

Parent of a 8, 10, and 13 year old Written byDeniseArts June 2, 2019

surprising amount of explicit sexual scenes

The more I think of this film (I saw it opening weekend) the more I love Elton John's music, and want to listen to his albums. But we're not taking the kids to this, as there is a vast amount of rough language, rough emotions, and rough sex. The man Elton loves at one point is getting oral sex from a waiter, and Elton walks in on them - it's obvious what is happening, and it's that kind of blithe 'sex doesn't really matter' event that I imagine is not uncommon for a rock star that I don't want my children to see and internalise. That kind of act in a public place, and treated like it's absolutely normal, are images that stay with children and affect them. This is an adult movie, worth seeing yes- but certainly not for kids.

Adult Written byTaylorfan101 May 27, 2019

Why would you want to watch this with your kids?

It’s funny how the kids opinions are for 16+ and the adults opinion is for younger audiences. Kids as young as 9? Questionable whether the adults who submitted opinions even have kids. Cocaine use, implied sex, oral and otherwise, Whether gay or straight sex I’d watch this movie with my daughter when she’s like 25, maybe. Good movie for adults though, love Elton.

Adult Written bylpetlock June 12, 2019

Too much sex and homosexual eroticism.

Very well done film but the the over the top sex is way to inappropriate for kids and arguably even for teens. Bohemian Rhapsody was so much more tastefully done. There are several blowjob scenes and other implied homo-erotic acts throughout the films. More for adults. One attempted suicide scene (although creatively done). Its also worth noting that there are a lot of bad language insults throughout the film and gay references. Some intense drug use scenes too.

Adult Written byParker60 May 27, 2019

Good but room for improvement then would have been suitable for wider audience .

Think sex could have been more implied then would have been suitable for a younger age group. Contained the ‘C’ work which was unnecessary and added nothing to the film.
Adult Written bytudiosen4k May 26, 2019

And I Think It's Gonna Be a Long Long Time

This is an excellent film, the way the story is narrated is really good. The film does contain some sex but mostly drugs and language. I highly recommend it

Adult Written byStraightOutta D. May 24, 2019

Appropriate

Very good

Adult Written byjohnjohnjohnjohnjohn May 28, 2019

Adult Written byKarynhallo May 25, 2019

Awesome!

awesome movie! Never been more in awe of an artists work. Nothing very bad except for a few sexual scenes. Kissing and topless man. Nothing more than that. I let my children watch it, 10 and 13m and they absolutely loved it. I think it’s appropriate.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bytnaselab June 18, 2019

Maybe don't take the kids

Beside some innuendos the central sex scene is not something taken out of 50 shades some naked holding and only a little bit of butt was shown, the worst one is the scene where Elton finds John receiving oral sex from a waiter ,shows the worst side of sex. Also a lot of consumerism as you expect a movie about a rock artist set in the eighties to have

Adult Written bycsreviewer June 18, 2019

Brilliant, Not As Bad As expected

Rocketman biopics the life of Elton John. Of course people need to go into the movie expecting drugs, sex, and language because it is telling the story of how he lived. The sex scenes cut away and don’t go in graphic detail. The oral scene is barely two seconds long, and not graphic. There is one scene at a strip club setting where people can be seen in tight, revealing clothing. This leads into a suggested orgy-like scene in the club. No nudity during this, and focuses on song. There is one instance of non sexual nudity, where we see an entourage helping Elton get into a jumpsuit as he’s lifted into the air. Quick, side view of his gentiles in shadowy dark lighting is briefly seen. Language used is harsh, but more realistic. The F Word is used lots, but not every scene. Derogatory terms and other words are used similarly to F words. Violence is limited to some punches to faces. This movies shocking element is the drug and alcohol content. We witness piles after piles of cocaine being snorted with little consequences. One scene shows brief blood dripping out of a nose from drug use. People at a party smoke from bongs. Alcohol and drugs are consumed frequently in the movie. Overall, it was brilliantly shot and the acting was great. I feel that mature sixteen year olds can watch this with parental guidance, followed by a conversation about it.

Adult Written byDarylTheStudent June 16, 2019

Rocketman

Rocketman tells the life of Elton John - particularly his rise to fame and his own struggles and addictions in his early years. I did like the film very much mostly for Taron Egerton's performance, how they integrated Elton's songs into the storyline, and the fantasy musical numbers. Unlike Bohemian Rhapsody from last year, this film is rated R and for good reason - mostly for the drugs/alcohol, sexual content, and language. Elton is seen frequently drinking, and snorts cocaine and overdoes on pills, to name a few scenes. Drug use is not glamorized. There are four sex scenes. The first sex scene is implied adultery between a wife and another man. (we hear moaning) We later see a gay sex scene where we see two men undressing, and later in a sexual position, as the camera gradually moves up and we cut to them post-sex. The third sex scene is implied oral sex - it only shows a man rising from another man's crotch. The last is a simulated orgy where we see people writhe around each other while Elton crowd surfs over them - this is part of one of the fantasy musical numbers so it's not detailed; we do not hear any moaning. Despite the "language throughout" descriptor in the MPAA rating, there are only about 25 uses of the f-word. However, the c-word is used once (non-aggressively), along with homophobic slurs such as poofter and fairy, and milder coarse language.

Adult Written byilovemoviesandtv June 14, 2019

Depressing albeit great film

All I can say is: get ready to be sad. The story of Elton John's life is very sad. His parents are probably one of the worst on Earth. They're abusive without actually being outright abusive which is the worst kind imo. I didn't even want to eat dinner after I left this movie. I had the same feeling after watching A Star Is Born, but that had a sad ending and this movie had a somewhat happy ending but I still felt sick. Now for the actual review, I wish they had focused more on his music. To be frank, I knew nothing about Elton John going into this movie and I feel like I know a whole lot about his personal life but still nothing about who he is as an artist. They focused too much on his drug use, sexuality, and effed up family life and not enough on his actual talent.cNow Elton John is clean, has a beautiful family, and has helped so many people with his charity work. There should have been a better ending. Kids under 16 will feel the weight of this film and how dark it is.

Adult Written byLordlcs June 8, 2019

Inspirational, Good Message

Rocketman tells the story of Elton John, an iconic star. Elton faces many challenges throughout the course of his life including the abandonment of his father, addiction, and depression, which are all portrayed in the movie. Sex and drug abuse are shown. This movie is not for younger children, but it definitely illustrates the important message of overcoming difficulties in one’s life.

Adult Written byLwFTW June 8, 2019

OMFG

This movie is amazing! Yes, there is some sex and drugs and language in this movie, but there is nothing I think a 13 yr old can't handle. And this movie completely makes up for that with how good it is!

Adult Written bycats cats June 8, 2019

Great movie has some tough stuff to talk to your kids about.

This is one of the best movies ever made! It may have some "Jazzy" or light, toe taping dance scenes but Rocketman is R rated for a reason. These reasons language, intense drug scenes, and a realistic sex scene but its brief. Language includes c--t, c--k, f--k, and s--t also insults against gay people such as fairy and f-g. There are two or three intense drug scenes were Elton is shown having unprescribed in those scenes drugs. Elton also tries to kill himself once. But Elton and Burny are determined. There are also positive messages. This is a great movie to watch with you tweens 11+ but no younger.

Adult Written byjeff cretyxt June 7, 2019
Adult Written bywingsenforcer June 3, 2019

Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll

I think there was something good in this film about needing to understand the consequences of your actions, whether it is in regard to recreational drug use, sexual activity, or interpersonal relationships with family or a love interest. I have been a fan of Elton John's music and career story for quite a long time now, so I was certainly interested in the film and certainly expected what ended up being on screen. There's no sugarcoating his past with drugs and alcohol and I think it is worth letting older teenagers see this film so they can get an idea of what that road looks like and how bad it can be. I also thought it was good to see his relationship with John Reid played out on screen and hopefully there is a lesson to be learned there when two people in a relationship don't necessarily treat each other as equals. As far as the sexual content goes, I thought it was tame considering what it could have been. Some of these scenes might bring up a good prompt about decision making and consequences. I think EJ has gone on record several times about how his promiscuity in the 1970s and 1980s could have turned out a lot worse. In short, the music is not chronologically correct and there are some liberties taken to create drama, but I thought it was a great film. Viewing this film with your older children can help you provide life lessons concerning drugs and drinking. The consequences of overuse and heavy drinking are painted very well.

Adult Written byjulesmcbeans June 2, 2019

Good, fun biopic with heart.

I didn't know it was a musical going in, but it was actually a pleasant surprise. It was a bit racy, I wouldn't recommend to anyone under the age of about 16 due to the drug use. Sweet ending and good entertainment.
Adult Written byPassword21 June 2, 2019
Multiple sex scenes, the first is between 2 men, and thrusting is shown, multiple scenes in which same sex and opposite sex people make out passionately, the second is a brief scene between a man and a woman, thrusting is shown, the third is a orgie, and the final is a blow job between 2 men, but no nudity is shown. Multiple f bombs used and marijuana and cocaine are frequently smoked

Adult Written byJarrinvaded June 2, 2019

Classic Elton

Although there are 1 or 2sex scenes and some scenes of Elton abusing drugs, these are handled with care and demonstrate Elton’s desire to become clean and sober and to find true love with a partner he can respect.