All parent member reviews for Romeo and Juliet (2013)

Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byKatrina_ October 19, 2013

Lives up to expectations

This Romeo and Juliet is exactly what you would expect from the creator of Downton Abby. Gorgeous sets, costumes and light, dramatic music interesting actors, all dialed up to 10. I think the general criticism is that it was not subtle and smootchy, but not really sexy. These seemed like features when taking pre-teens. The two fourth graders I brought were on the edge of their seats at the end and the audience (all teen girls) were totally absorbed. Good entertainment.
Parent Written byAnnapolis13 November 2, 2013

Sweet and Touching Movie! Finally a movie I could see with my daughter and not be embrassed.

We loved the movie! Best version of the Romeo & Juliet, I have ever seen. The other movies do not develop the characters or relationships as well as this movie did. The characters are believable. The scene where the marriage is consummated is tastefully done (unlike most movies). The kissing will quite intense, but they are passionately in love. But it still was a bit over the top for me.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Meh. Insipid contemporary dialogue shoehorned into the classic lines do nothing to enhance understanding, and in many cases completely ruin the story, turning the characters into cartoons. (How is Mercutio a Montague? What the ?!) Add uneven pacing and bland line readings, and you have one of the dullest cinematic Shakespeare adaptations ever. Either the Zefferelli or Lurhman version would be a better choice.
Educator and Parent Written byhehawwwolfley September 16, 2014

One of the "tamer" versions of Romeo and Juliet

I teach Shakespeare to a group of youth from 12-16. We have to be choosy with the movies we watch as a group. I felt as this version was a great adaptation and was appropriate for my students. The "love" scene's are very mild, there is some kissing, but nothing that pushes it over comfort level. As for the violence... cannot say this is too much violence. This is Shakespeare, they use swords and knives which seems to turn up the violence level a few notches. All in all I think this is a great adaption and it is great for any student/youth wanting to watch Shakespeare in a modern-ish form.