Kid reviews for Romeo + Juliet

Optically brilliant, violent update of classic.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLadylollipop1 April 26, 2011

Ignore the 16+

I'm confused why everyone is saying it should be 16+, if it should be 16+ then why is it rated 12a? There is no blood (well a very small amount) no nudity and no bad language (it is shakespeare after all) and it a great story of love and it's educational about shakespeare but it's easier dor kids to understand it when placed in a modern setting.

Teen, 14 years old Written byshanno15 March 16, 2010
Had to watch it in school last year when i was in 9th grade, good movie, kind of an weird adaptation though

Kid, 12 years old January 30, 2011

My Romeo + Juliet Review

I have seen this movie,i had to go with iffy because there are alot of Bloddy secnes in this Film which will make it very disturbing for little childern, there murder shooting and very bloody secnes. but there are some good things like love,romance, but there is a little to much. I recomend 17+

Teen, 13 years old Written byjasminemcgill480 February 17, 2015

Great movie

I loved this movie. To those who say that there are too many sex scenes there is only about one scene with Romeo and Juliet but wow Romeo takes off Juliets bra big deal. It doesnt show any nudity but there is a quite a lot of violence. It just depends if you mind looking at graphic scenes. It depends on the maturity of the child really.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 December 20, 2012

Absolute garbage

My English class watched this since we'd read part of Romeo And Juliet, and I think it was awful. Most of the characters were mindnumbingly stupid, the Shakespearean dialogue is completely out of place with the modern-day setting, and the onslaught of violence almost completely overshadows the deep, poetic meaning behind the play. If you want a good adaptation of Romeo And Juliet, watch the 1968 version of it (we watched that version too.) It's way better. As for this monstrosity, save your money and skip it. Violence: Tons of gun violence, sometimes resulting in death. Characters also fight with their fists. Sex: A male character dresses as a woman for a party. Romeo and Juliet are shown in bed together (But my teacher fast-fowarded through that part, so I don't know exactly what happened.) Consumerism: Lots of brand names featured. Drinking: Characters drink and smoke. Juliet is shown taking an Ecstacy pill.

Teen, 17 years old Written byVanilla Thunda October 1, 2013

Romeo + Juliet deserves a chance in this genre.

It does actually give out quite a positive message that love is eternal. Also families need a sense of trust in their children to do what is right for them, even if in the parents' eyes it seems wrong. Acceptance, love is eternal and that violence always leads to horrible things happening to the ones close to us, are the very controversial positive messages to come out of the much adored film Romeo + Juliet.

Kid, 10 years old July 23, 2015

Great movie, but violent.

I love the movie especially because it was based on a Shakespeare story. But it is really violent and there are a lot of shooting with guns and bloody scenes. There is no language only in Shakespeare phrases. Other that I love the movie.

Teen, 15 years old Written byclumsily May 16, 2012

Egh

I was actually really excited about seeing a modern version of Romeo and Juliet since we were studying that play in class (9th grade English) and we were going to be comparing & contrasting this version and the Zeffirelli version. Needless to say, this version disappointed me GREATLY. They only modernized it partially, meaning they kept the language, which overall made it really weird. For example, in the beginning fight scene, they used guns, but they shouted things like "Hold up thy sword", making viewers who haven't read the play wonder, where's the sword? However I did like some aspects, like the way they used the drugs. Not that I support the use of drugs, but I thought that it was a good way to show Shakespeare's views on fate, you can't control it. Likewise when you're on drugs, you can't really control yourself. There was a lot of violence, blood, that sort of stuff. Some scenes were completely awful and overall they didn't do the greatest job modernizing Romeo and Juliet. I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you actually want to waste a couple hours of your life..

Teen, 15 years old Written byjenjay August 9, 2012

Amazing appropriation but a bit pathetic

I liked it mainly because of the amazing visuals, its modern context but still with the traditional language. A superb appropriation of the original story. I also liked how they kept to the storyline with all the thrills, despair and suspense. There are some wierd elements to it such as Mercusio acting gay, Romeo having his shirt constantly unbuttoned. Some themes are very over rated and pathetic but i guess its to be expected from Shakespears original story. Overall its a seemingly fun and possibly mild movie at first but it progresses quickly into intense scenes of love and conflict which i dont recommend for kids 13 and under.

Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2011
I liked it!

Teen, 15 years old Written byErikaWDs March 17, 2016

A Very Interesting Take on Shakespear

Romeo and Juliet is normally a beautiful play but this take modern on it has turned it into something strange. Where to begin. First off the way that the characters use their fire arms so carelessly is completely foolish. Secondly the fake blood and cut makeup were very inaccurate. (Especially the last scene where Juliet commits suicide, there should have been a lot more blood.) Not only these things bother me about the production. DiCaprio, it seemed, did not understand the old english very well. And with his poorly dealt lines all of the rich, deep meaning was stripped. I also disapprove of the modern day twist. This movie just seems out of place with all the modern cars, helicopters, ect. and the old english. It seems like something that was written for a college assignment. (This whole review does not include the actual play and plot itself.) However, amidst all these points presenting the flaws of the movie, I did enjoy it. It is not worthy of a five star rating, for the reasons listed above. It was fun to watch, but I wish that the directors/ producers would have planned and made this movie a bit better. It is a movie makes relationships and violence seem very normal. As they do with many movies showing. If children want to watch this movie I would tell them why you say no (the reasons above) and hopefully they understand.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGhibliTheTimelord February 22, 2015

Criminally underrated, slightly bloody masterpiece

I asked my 16 year old brother who had to watch this is his english class what he thought of it and he said he thought it was "dumb". After watching I totally disagree. I thought it was done beautifully and a lot of people may not have liked it because it was done in a weird fashion (what do you expect from Baz Luhrmann) but I really liked it. There was a single scene where sex was implied but nothing was shown, but there was also plenty of bloody violence. SPOILER ALERT! Multiple lead character are shot and of course the two leads kill themselves. Otherwise really great movie, you really should show your kids.

Teen, 17 years old Written by007SPY April 10, 2014

Ignore the 16+ sign

It's Shakespeare no nudity or bad language that's why I pull the rating down to 12+

Teen, 14 years old Written byAnya.Starr December 1, 2012

star crossed lovers .

an amazing retelling of the classic star crossed lovers .

Teen, 14 years old Written bydancegirl3697 February 4, 2012

A Romantic Love Story

This is set in modern time. It can get confusing at times because of the way they talk. There is a sex scene, but it isnt shown (only Juliets bare back). Theres quite a bit of violence and fighting too. But, it's a romantic love story with the gorgeous Leonardo DiCaprio. Appropriate for 14 years and older.

Teen, 17 years old Written byWolf88 September 28, 2012

Ok

Has some blood and weapons, mild oldern language, and some sexual references but ok 12+

Teen, 14 years old Written bysrm10191997 May 26, 2012

Drugs and Violence aside, a good movie

It is in the traditional shakespearean lanuage, but a lot of drugs and violence. If your ok with seeing a guy who is really under the influence and a lot of people dying, the story line is good.

Teen, 16 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 March 30, 2012

good New/but more violent but still better

Teen, 13 years old Written byNicky0250 July 7, 2015

Clever adaption of the Shakespeare classic. If younger viewers watch this, the only issue is sex

The melee combat (fist-fights) is bloody but you don't see them directly bleed, gun violence is about as bloody as a 60s western (which isn't bloody at all). the clever thing is, it has a modern setting but, retains the Shakespearean dialouge.

Kid, 12 years old May 12, 2013

Loved it!

Hi! I'm 12 years old and I saw this movie a few days ago. I loved it! It's got the true words of Shakespeare, which makes it great! However, some of my friends watching in English class felt a bit awkward watching Danes and Dicaprio kiss passionately and take their shirts off. Yes, it has got sexual scenes in it, but it really doesn't show you anything, only when they kiss and strip, then it skips to after! Dicaprio does smoke in this and it does show Dicaprio taking ecstasy. Plus, it has got death and violence in, which some parents and kids may not enjoy. But overall, I loved it!