All parent member reviews for Saving Private Ryan

Adult Written byD-Fresh March 30, 2011

Obviously not a kids movie

Not all violence is bad. I have several relatives who fought in WWII, and their biggest worry in high school was that they wouldn't medically/physically qualify for one of the armed services. I think the willing and selfless sacrifice of that generation might be a little more relevant topic of discussion for a family than "Do you think those man [sic] can be excused for such a breakdown of discipline?"
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byolympictree April 9, 2008

Brings History to Life

This was on TNT the other day and I actually let my 12 year old watch this because it was broken up with commercials and we could talk about the scenes he had just seen (like the guy walking around looking for his blown off arm) - if I hadn't watched this with him and if we weren't able to talk about it together, I woul dnot have let him see this movie. Having said all that, I believe it was the first time he understood what war is all about - it's not something you play on a video screen. At the end of the movie it opened a great dialogue on ethics, was it worth it? If he was Private Ryan, how would he have spent his life? you definately need to know your kid before you watch this.
Parent Written byRate4OwnKid July 2, 2011

Mature kids can handle this movie

While this movie is gruesome and violent, we never feel that we need to shelter our children from real events. My step son is a mature 11 year old who has ambitions to enter the military and he loved this movie. We explained to him the importance and reality of WWII. He is aware that adults use language that is innappropriate for children and we have been able to trust him to not use that language.
Teen, 17 years old Written byE1ijah January 12, 2016

Saving Private Ryan Review

I have to say, I was really suprised by this movie. I had heard it was supposed to be really violent, but when I actually watched it (at age 12) it wasn't that disturbing at all. The movie it self has a lot of positive messages, and it is really realistic. I heard that cases of stress among former WW2 veterans increased dramatically after they showed it in theaters. It does get a little old at times, as some war movies do, but the opening scene and ending scene were both superb. To sum it up, I'd have to say 12+, though maybe with adult supervision, and 14+ If you're a bit squeamish.
Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Excellent; Probably the Best War Film I've Ever Seen.

This is a brilliant film. It has constant, no-holds-bar action (especially the opening and the climax)and very moving preformances. Well done, Spielberg, you've done it again.
Parent of a 12 and 18+ year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

NOT FOR PEOPLE UNDER 17!!!

IT IS A GREAT MOVIE but the violence and swearing is overly gruesome,sick,intense,and gross
Educator and Parent Written bycristinap May 2, 2016
Adult Written bycharleyp November 3, 2015

Great, but very greusome

i saw this when i was 13, and i was amazed. Spielburg does a fantastic job!
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 28, 2015

One of the finest war films

Is there any doubt when Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg collaborate? I'm late to the party on this one: this is one of the most recognizable, popular and most powerful films of all time, and I'm not sure why it took me so long, but it is an American classic. The acting is flawless, gritty and real. The D-Day opener is one of, if not the, finest opening sequence of any film. The cinematography lands you right in the middle of battle, the score sweeping and the writing realistic, soldier dialogue. It is Generation X's "All Quiet on the Western Front," and that's a huge accomplishment.
Adult Written byjlarr11 December 4, 2014

i love the story

i love the story because its so accurate like you kmow what happen to the pride when captain was too young that was matt damon in real life.
Parent Written byPredatorman October 3, 2014

Should Have Won An Oscar

Is extreme in violence like no other movie.Very intense ending, may make you cry.
Parent Written bygbpackerbacker94 December 18, 2013

Excellent movie, but not for everyone

I first watched this movie at 15 a few years ago, and now at 19, it is far and away my favorite movie. It shows war for what it really is: bloodshed and violence, no glory whatsoever. As a result, I would definitely say if there is any doubt about maturity, this movie should be avoided until age 16. I was a bit more mature than my fellow 15-year-olds so I was able to handle it and appreciate it for what it was, but not all may be able to do so. Definitely inappropriate for children younger than 13 regardless of the situation. They may not be ready to see that kind of violence (men with their arms being blown off, organs shredded and strewn across the battlefield, and the cursing). If an early teen (13-15) is mature enough, then they should definitely see it. It is a movie that I think everyone should see at some point because it shows us what combat veterans went through, and allows us to appreciate them more. Plus the whole story of eight soldiers risking everything (and some did lose everything) trying to find one man who was lost in northern France is incredibly uplifting. SPOILER ALERT: The ending (an older Ryan at Capt. Miller's (Tom Hanks) grave) is a real tear-jerker. Incredible movie, just not for everyone.
Parent Written bySkyjim1 November 16, 2013

A Great Positive Message!

I'm surprised that this isn't getting a positive message check mark. It graphically shows the sacrifices that these brave men made in several situations. Some didn't want to do it. Some were scared. Some thought the main mission pointless. But they all did it anyway because it had to be done. It is an outstanding movie that is not only entertaining but gives a deep core understanding of what these men were up against and how they sacrificed. This is great for a classroom setting but I must emphasize that I personally recommend a minimum age of 15.
Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 13, 2012

This war movie directed by Steven Spielberg is brilliant but has violent war seqeunces and swear words.

Parent Written bySCswamper January 28, 2012

Excellent

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, simply put.....Excellent
Parent of a 15 year old Written byAdkus May 20, 2011
Extremely well made. This movie depicts some of the most remembered battles of world war 2. The fights and struggles of what really happened on D-Day June 6th 1944 were perfectly made and the nasty, brutal horror of war was highly detailed in this movie. This would have to be the most realistic war movie ever made. Extremely violent though, but the world is more violent than not.
Parent of a 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byGimmick March 7, 2011

NO KIDS

I really enjoyed this movie but although my son begged and pleaded I wouldn't let him watch it. There is lots of violence, such as: dismemberment, blowing up people, shooting surrendering men, deaths of people we know well and ones we don't and constant action. There is also plenty of swearing such as: mother f--ker, c--k, s--t, d-ck, f-ck and plenty more. This movie is not for kids.
Adult Written byed1993 December 30, 2010

It'll put you off your dinner

A truly fantastic work of cinematography, but not for the faint hearted. As with any violent work I wouldn't recommend it be watched alone by a younger audience, and certainly not without discussion of the topics portrayed. The graphic violence may prove excessive for younger viewers but if you want a movie that portrays warfare without too much glorification you can't get much better than this.
Parent Written by4stewarts July 31, 2010
very violent,lots of swearing
Adult Written byFiggy66 July 26, 2010

Ok for 13 and up

Awesome movie lots of blood swearing and drugs though. The opening scene is horrific with people throwing up on landing crafts, being torn up by machine gun fire, and being dismembered good movie though. Matt Damons best movie in my opinion, if theve played call of duty world at war which i reviewed check it out let them watch the movie.