Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Saving Private Ryan

Bloody, tragic war epic doesn't hold back.

Adult Written byRate4OwnKid July 2, 2011

Mature kids can handle this movie

While this movie is gruesome and violent, we never feel that we need to shelter our children from real events. My step son is a mature 11 year old who has ambitions to enter the military and he loved this movie. We explained to him the importance and reality of WWII. He is aware that adults use language that is innappropriate for children and we have been able to trust him to not use that language.

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byolympictree April 9, 2008

Brings History to Life

This was on TNT the other day and I actually let my 12 year old watch this because it was broken up with commercials and we could talk about the scenes he had just seen (like the guy walking around looking for his blown off arm) - if I hadn't watched this with him and if we weren't able to talk about it together, I woul dnot have let him see this movie. Having said all that, I believe it was the first time he understood what war is all about - it's not something you play on a video screen. At the end of the movie it opened a great dialogue on ethics, was it worth it? If he was Private Ryan, how would he have spent his life? you definately need to know your kid before you watch this.
Teen, 17 years old Written byE1ijah January 12, 2016

Saving Private Ryan Review

I have to say, I was really suprised by this movie. I had heard it was supposed to be really violent, but when I actually watched it (at age 12) it wasn't that disturbing at all. The movie it self has a lot of positive messages, and it is really realistic. I heard that cases of stress among former WW2 veterans increased dramatically after they showed it in theaters. It does get a little old at times, as some war movies do, but the opening scene and ending scene were both superb. To sum it up, I'd have to say 12+, though maybe with adult supervision, and 14+ If you're a bit squeamish.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byGimmick March 7, 2011

NO KIDS

I really enjoyed this movie but although my son begged and pleaded I wouldn't let him watch it. There is lots of violence, such as: dismemberment, blowing up people, shooting surrendering men, deaths of people we know well and ones we don't and constant action. There is also plenty of swearing such as: mother f--ker, c--k, s--t, d-ck, f-ck and plenty more. This movie is not for kids.

Adult Written byed1993 December 30, 2010

It'll put you off your dinner

A truly fantastic work of cinematography, but not for the faint hearted. As with any violent work I wouldn't recommend it be watched alone by a younger audience, and certainly not without discussion of the topics portrayed. The graphic violence may prove excessive for younger viewers but if you want a movie that portrays warfare without too much glorification you can't get much better than this.
Adult Written byD-Fresh March 30, 2011

Obviously not a kids movie

Not all violence is bad. I have several relatives who fought in WWII, and their biggest worry in high school was that they wouldn't medically/physically qualify for one of the armed services. I think the willing and selfless sacrifice of that generation might be a little more relevant topic of discussion for a family than "Do you think those man [sic] can be excused for such a breakdown of discipline?"

Parent of a 12 and 18+ year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

NOT FOR PEOPLE UNDER 17!!!

IT IS A GREAT MOVIE but the violence and swearing is overly gruesome,sick,intense,and gross

Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 10, 2009
Adult Written byBen O. January 24, 2018

Relentlessly confirms that war is hell.

Spielberg gives the audience a deeply disturbing and heartbreaking look at what hell might be like. People are blown to pieces, limbs are blown off, innards are exposed--the violence in this film is extremely graphic and deeply disturbing. I was 8 the first time I watched this and I can vividly recall an overwhelming feeling of shock, sadness and disbelief. Viewers aged 12+ sounds appropriate. Showing it any time before will likely just rob them of their innocence a bit too early in life.

Parent Written byjane j. November 29, 2016

suitable for learners who can cope with it

Suitable for anyone who understands it

Parent of a 15 year old Written byAdkus May 20, 2011
Extremely well made. This movie depicts some of the most remembered battles of world war 2. The fights and struggles of what really happened on D-Day June 6th 1944 were perfectly made and the nasty, brutal horror of war was highly detailed in this movie. This would have to be the most realistic war movie ever made. Extremely violent though, but the world is more violent than not.

Adult Written bySCswamper January 28, 2012

Excellent

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, simply put.....Excellent
Adult Written byDarkAgentE February 20, 2018

One of the best War films I have ever seen!

This film doesn't hold back. There's gore, great performances, and it shows the horrors of war in a way like no other movie has before. This is one of the most brutal war films of all time. The opening D-Day scene is among one of the most brutal, if not the most brutal opening of any movie. The battle scenes in this movie are raw, realistic, gory, and really hard hitting. The film has great performances from everyone, and the ending is sure to make you cry. A brilliant film from Spielberg that I give a 5/5.

Adult Written bySam Marrick November 3, 2017

WW2 Odyssey

Intense war sequences that are mostly not too explicit or excessively bloody (most have faint squibs, smoke puffs or subtle blood fountain spews) but quite brutal such as a tense knife fight between 2 troops. There are moments of gore including images of people losing limbs, have thier intestines hanging out. These scenes are less for shock value and more for showing how grave the physical stakes of combat are. A man exploding into small chunks after a bomb blows prematurely and a particularly bloody brief headshot of a German sniper. Theres some f words. The opening and closing fights alone are quite a marvel at least from as a technically outstanding visceral experience that brings out emotion even without knowing anyone rather focusing on the larger sacrifices of even small victories. The latter is much less realistic for sake of drama but it searing in its own right with its disinterest in poetic or heroic deaths. The movie is not as much interested in moralisimg or lionizing as ot is aboit the human cost of war as a whole. The body of the film is relatively low key as the main squad go place to place and encounter various trials, skirmishes and ethical quandries of war all for someone they dont even know. They keep things interesting (some more than others) and thematically complex enough to justify the runtime even though the characters arent the deepest and the dialog can be long winded and hokey at times.
Adult Written bycristinap May 2, 2016
Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Excellent; Probably the Best War Film I've Ever Seen.

This is a brilliant film. It has constant, no-holds-bar action (especially the opening and the climax)and very moving preformances. Well done, Spielberg, you've done it again.

Adult Written byAlecheva01 October 21, 2018

The compromise of the missiob

Compromise, courage and need to gain for justice and ejemplar life of Ryan at end of II WW

Adult Written bycharleyp November 3, 2015

Great, but very greusome

i saw this when i was 13, and i was amazed. Spielburg does a fantastic job!

Parent of a 6, 12, and 15 year old Written byHailey Spring February 12, 2019

Important

Yes, this movie contains a lot of violence. Guess what? That’s the reality of war! Unlike most movies, Saving Priavte Ryan doesn’t glamorize war. I was thrilled to find out that they showed this movie to my son and his class in grade six. It’s important. War is dark and scary. This movie shows that well. And swearing, have you heard anything coming out of the mouth of an 11-18 year old over the past like ten years?

Adult Written byTrusty Reviews January 10, 2019

This brilliant war film should not be for Kids under 14

There is violence throughout the whole film, however some scenes are disturbing. On Omaha beach at the start, a soldier has his guts out screaming for his mother. The movie was very realistic in this sense because soldiers did scream for the Mum when they were dying. Soldiers have to help a soldier who is shot and on the ground. This slow painful death consists of blood pouring out of his stomach while his mates were trying to save him. Another character is slowly stabbed by a German soldier. More blood spray is shown through the battles. This movie has a psychological aspect to it as well as characters have gone mad from the fighting. There is language but it is not that big of a deal.