Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Scales: Mermaids Are Real

Mermaid coming-of-age drama is forgettable but mild.

Parent of a 13 and 14 year old Written byLinda L. July 23, 2017

Excellent movie with real heart and sweet sentimental story

Excellent movie about growing up, dealing with changes in life and becoming aware of how the world really can be as we begin the journey of leaving childhood and are forced to grow up, in a not so kind and accepting world. Love how the lead character stands up to bullying for "the new kid" who is "different" and shows that it is ok to stand up to what's right, instead of trying to "be cool". Love the sweet friendship that develops between Adam and Siren which eventually hints to a bit of a sweet childhood crush! The chemistry between both Perry and Grazer make it very believable and sincere! Love the fantasy that Mermaids live among us! The cinematography is incredible, happy that I took my daughter and son to the theater to see this film so I could appreciate it in a larger format! The writing was great, the leads Emmy Perry and Jack Grazer delivered flawless natural performances and the entire ensemble was perfectly cast for their roles and did a great job. I would recommend this for the whole family, for anyone who believes in fairytales and magic and for those who believe in the magic of friendship and family!

Adult Written byMichael F August 27, 2017

Too adult themed for younger audiences

This movie is currently recommended for 6 and 8 year olds, but I think the movie has themes too mature for those ages. It has references to puberty and a girl getting her period, which can bring up questions for discussion for children not yet educated in those topics. It also has violence that can be too scary, which led us to fast forward over various sections. Various situations include men shooting tranquilizer darts at women, causing them to pass out; one woman being bound with rope and having duct tape on her mouth; and men often pointing harpoons or other weapons at women. The single African-American man in the movie is single-minded towards killing the 12-year old girl to progress his career. The conflict between the group of men and the group of women is eventually resolved at the end of the movie which in itself can be a good lesson for children; however, just after this happens, the girl contradicts this lesson and uses her power to kill the African-American man in a gruesome manner reminiscent of a B-rate movie. Additionally, there is a blonde woman character thrown in who is gratuitously dumb, apparently for comic relief. And lastly, while the group of women help the girls grow up, the relationship between the father and son is sadly lacking.

Adult Written byGregParentof7 February 2, 2019

Cringe if you're older than 6!

obviously made on a low budget - kinda weird story, but ok to watch - just don't expect to be challenged or inspired or moved emotionally. Great for little kids who love mermaids.