Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Scary but very entertaining movie based on classic books.

Adult Written bySarahMcKay1964 August 8, 2019

The trailer is misleading!

I am a parent of 5 kids, one of them is 12 and really wanted to go see this movie. And me hating scary movies, I immediately said “I’m not going to go see that”. So, after fighting and fighting, I agreed to go see it with him. And to be honest it was a pretty decent movie. I didn’t have to cover my eyes once, it was scary but on a “Signs” or “Sixth Sense” level. The trailer was very misleading by being scarier than the actual film. That trailer makes the movie look like a heart attack kabob. Entertaining 7.5/10 movie!
Adult Written byMjmccarthy August 21, 2019

Traumatized my 13-year-old...

I grew up reading the books, and honestly I did not think the movie was that scary. The acting was so-so and the dialogue is cringe-worthy. However, I took my 13-year-old nephew last night and we had to leave early. He didn’t appear to be extra sensitive to horror movies, in fact he had mentioned several that he had seen before. I don’t know what it is about the imagery of this film but certain characters, especially the pale lady, kept him up all night. I thought he was joking about how frightened he was! Anyone who has sensitive kiddos, even though it is PG-13, keep in mind there is some pretty horrifying imagery.
Adult Written byTurtleKid2001 August 13, 2019

Good story, but scary

Lots of scary monsters and demons, some with dead messed up faces. Lots of jumpscares. Teens talk about a young girl hanging herself.

A very good story but lot of scary stuff (no gore tho).

Parent of a 10 year old Written byLINCOLN B. August 9, 2019

Best Horror movie ever made!

I grew up on the scary stories books, so seeing this movie was amazing The movie isnt very violent, but there are a lot of jumpscares and
Adult Written byT J September 14, 2019

Adult Written byA very sensible... September 9, 2019

The truth

Now I know what your all thinking!!! Yes it’s a horror but nowhere near as bad as other pg-13 horrors !!! Yes it’s quite disturbing but great for a family movie!! Great for mature 10 year olds.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byPhobbs1983 August 22, 2019
Parent of a 8 year old Written byKill Bill vol .1 August 21, 2019
Adult Written byBuddyfam August 20, 2019

Great horror movie for new comers!

I thought that is was a great movie! I am 13 years old and I am just starting off on horror movies. There were some gory scenes and some minor language, but I thought that it was the perfect horror movie for older tweens or younger teens. In my opinion there were too many jump scares that might frighten younger viewers ( I counted 8 jump scares in total!). I grew up reading the book series by Alvin Schwartz that the movie was based on and I thought that it did a great job bringing the stories to life! A must see for horror fans young or old.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byLeslie C. August 12, 2019