Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Secondhand Lions

Charming family movie for tweens and up.

Adult Written bykellyz October 17, 2010
Just watched this movie with my 3 kids ages 5 - 8. For a PG movie, I was disappointed by the number of inappropriate words used--c**p, d**n, h**l. The description on the box led me to believe it would be a bit more light hearted. I should have reviewed it first. While it did have some good messages, there were some rather disturbing violent scenes as well. The one at the end where the new boyfriend threatens and punches Walter comes to mind. Most of the action scenes involved violence, but most blood is off screen. Overall, I think the movie is fine for kids 10 and up, but not for the younger set and definitely not for those who are overly sensitive to violence.

Parent of a 2, 3, 11, 13, and 14 year old Written byWilabea94 October 19, 2009

Disturbing violence

It's clear that the mother is loose and has had a string of male companions, and we see how this has impacted Walter. I would caution parents about the violence -- one when the mother and her new boyfriend arrive, and her boyfriend chases Walter down, straddles him, and punches him -- which we see at a bit of a distance, which didn't make it any less disturbing. The other scene follows immediately, when Walter's pet lion pounces on the boyfriend and mauls him. The blood and gore takes place just below the screen, but viewers know what's going on.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAimeeblue June 13, 2010

Parent of a 9, 11, and 14 year old Written bygddown August 31, 2009
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Extra, Extra -- see all about it -- see this movie!

This movie made you think that death is a part of life. It was really touching. It was the best movie I've seen in a long time. I want to get the DVD when it comes out. I saw it with my friend and I think she was crying too. My dad liked it too. -- viewer, aged 10
Adult Written byTexas Mom April 9, 2008

Terrific Family Favorite

We love it! The love that develops between a boy and his two crazy uncles is touching. Mixed with the action & adventure really makes it a feel good, fun movie. Our kids --boys & girls --were equally entertained.
Adult Written bygene0kar April 9, 2008

So what was the truth?

This is a guy tale -- a wonderful love story between two elderly uncles with a wild past and eccentric present, and their abandoned, uncertain nephew. The careless, selfish mother is wonderfully portrayed and her sad, self-destructive need for a man is a good "message". This is a great semi-adult movie for tweeners.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion April 10, 2009

A Great Family Movie!

SECONDHAND LIONS is one of my favorite movies for a lot of reasons. It has great acting, a great story, and great messages. And it's devoid of objectionable content. The Caine and Duvall characters say "d**n" and "a*s" a few times, and some scenes can be somewhat intense, but all are without graphic violence. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written bylioness57 April 9, 2008

Great actors and great movie

I loved this movie. Two wacky old men and a wonderful kid. Such an honest handling of death. Ending was a bit bizarre . . . but amusing.
Adult Written bysumodra April 9, 2008

Great Movie for the entire Family!

Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008
Adult Written bygarfield2711 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byApearlb November 13, 2018

A nice quiet film about what matters

You need to believe in good things.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byHoosierdoc March 3, 2017
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymother4God April 21, 2011

a movie for families to watch TOGETHER

I think this is a great tween movie. It gives families things to talk about. The lion was the main focus for our kids and the young boys connection to it. It's a life lesson movie, that teaches that not all families are a mom, dad and kids, and that there's more to a person than what you see on the outside. It had something for all of us to enjoy, and included a range of emotions. We liked it so much we bought it.

Adult Written bywickedgood April 9, 2008

Humorous and Sweet

There are many lessons to learn from two crotchity old men. And there are even a few lessons for two crotchity old men to learn. This is a sweet movie with a nice view about death and the circle of life. About following one's heart and how one might look at things. While the shooting at the travelling salesmen scene was amusing, it was also a little disturbing.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

BEST MOVIE - A Must See !!!

This is best movie to come around in a long, long time. Sure wish Hollywierd would wake up, smell the coffee, and create some more like this one. An endearing tale of life--all the good and bad times--and death. The lessons that could be learned from this film. But, you don't notice it since it's such a moving storyline. Rent it...better yet, buy it. You'll be glad you did!
Adult Written bykmarsh April 9, 2008

GREAT movie!

This movie has a few places that can be used to enhance the classroom literature. Literature terms it covers...FLASHBACK, FORESHADOWING, SUSPENSE, PLOT Great for a Short Story Unit.
Parent Written bymjquinn April 9, 2008