Kid reviews for Selma

Outstanding drama about MLK's fight for equal rights.

Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2015

Heart provoking drama is about Martin Luther King jr

This film is about the famous man Martin Luther King jr. Parents need to know this movie represents real events and things still happening right now. And even if the film has a happy ending the problem is still not solved. The movie has intense violence, including a shooting of a young man in front of his family and his elderly uncle gets beaten up, when they didn't do anything wrong. The film shows strength and resilience of the characters and shows that just because something is hard or nearly impossible, doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
The film has some mild language, but nothing too bad or to worry about.
A married couple discusses cheating on multiple occasions.
Overall, the film is very sad and intense, your child will need cheering up and discussion of the events during and after the film. I strongly recommend supervision for most teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNevernotreading January 2, 2017

Very important, very well done, but very intense

I watched Selma for a school project on the civil rights movement and WOW. I really wasn't expecting it to be half as good as it was. It obviously has fantastic messages and role models, and one of the best parts was that King wasn't shown as perfect. The movie shows his doubt, his fear, and his faults. That said, the movie didn't focus exculsivley on him, which is rare. Instead, it showed the contributions of people like Diane Nash, Annie Cooper, and John Lewis, as well as average citizens - black and white.

As awesome as it is, it's really not for little kids. Some scenes are really quite intense, although they are made up for by the uplifting underlying messages and the humorous moments. People are beat, gassed, shot, and even killed. Also, there is heavy use of the N-word, although that's to be expected in a historical film dealing with this time period. There is a mention of adultery, but it's pretty subtle.

Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2015

My Selma Review

There have been many civil rights movies made, from the classic ‘Driving Miss Daisy’ to Spike Lee’s ‘Malcom X’. Selma is the latest installment on this theme, and it greatly deserved the Oscar nomination it won the other night. The acting was suberb (especially for actors I have never heard of), the cinematography was masterfully done, with cuts to various scenes so natural that I at some times in the movie actually forgot that I wasn’t part of the conversation going on, and the whole tone of the movie was so powerful… it’s so great to see a movie that can be that moving without being some Avatar blow-up scene. That said, the violence is quite disturbing, with beatings and close ups of innocent people being shot, whipped, and tear-gassed as they protest. This movie differes from the usual Steven Spielberg want-to-be tearjerker that introduces a very loveable character and then has him be killed two minutes later though; it is all just so realistic, and it was hard for me to take in that America could produce that era of horror. I understand that one of the big criticisms of Selma was that LBJ came of as much more hostile than he was in real life, but all I saw was a foul mouthed politician that had, as all presidents do, way much more on his hands than he could bear.
The sexual content was very mild, and the bad language was limited to 2 uses of f—k, LBJ considers all objects to be goddamned (not sure if that is the way he was in real life), and of course many racial slurs used against the protesters. But if your child can handle the heavy themes and the mature content, this is a spellbinding movie for everyone.

Teen, 16 years old Written byFilmcrazedfangirl January 10, 2015

Good movie that will make you and your kids appreciate Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Selma was a great movie and I found it to be educational. It was hard to watch in some parts, just because of the brutal violence against innocent people. Nothing that sexual in it, if anything be cautious of the violence. But overall it was a good, emotional, educational movie.

Kid, 11 years old December 7, 2020

selma

the reason im giving it such a low age rating is because i think everyone should know about the strugles we went through to show people racism is bad i hope you choose this movie

Teen, 14 years old Written byClorox bleach June 18, 2020

Very important to watch

Very important movie to watch

Teen, 13 years old Written bytheboysbros January 23, 2020

???

I"m going to count all the swear lines in order (TRUE)-

1- god damn true.
2- tall son of a b***h!
3- damn well.
4- get the hell out,
5- god damn-it.
6- ( what the f**k are you thinking)
7- b***h!
8- holy sh*t.
9- beat the sh*t,
10- what the hell is that?
11- i'll be damned.
21- wrong god damn call.
22- whole damn night,
23- don't sh*t me.
24- sh*t me.
25- ( are you trying to f**k over your president?)
26- be damned.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySharklord January 17, 2020

Sad, Violent and vulgar movie

Selma is a relatively good movie, but definitely not for young children.
Many people are killed or injured, Excessive swearing and racial slurs,
and kids should only watch if they can handle the above.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBrigidArmbrust January 18, 2019
Kid, 12 years old May 2, 2018

a must see

Selma is really great! every body must see it if they are interested in learning about the civil rights!

Teen, 13 years old Written byAnonymous dude January 15, 2018

You guys suck!!!!

I cried through the whole thing. There is so much violence that is real. Cops hitting innocent people. People being killed. We left early. It should be rated R

Teen, 15 years old Written byyeet676 December 4, 2017

Good movie that requires an educated audience

We watched this movie in school when it came out because we were doing the Civil Rights Movement and I think it was a really great look at the people behind the movement. I do think that if a kid isn't studying related topics in school, their parent should talk to them about racism and who MLK was before just popping in the video, because it shows a lot of graphic scenes, slurs, and relies on a fair amount of general knowledge. It's a really well-made film but I think their target audience is adults and older teenagers who will have a better understanding of the complexities of the subject matter.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAAV July 6, 2017

Great movie, but make sure your kid knows the topic

Selma is a great, inspiring movie, but make sure your kid or teen really knows the topic and the seriousness of it. Segregation is a very heavy topic in general, but otherwise it is a great movie with lots of inspiring scenes in MLK's life. Expect violent scary police beatings and riots between non-violent protesters and policemen. Racial slurs are used a lot. I think 11 and up should be able to watch it, but for all ages keep in mind that this is NOT a light watch.

Kid, 12 years old February 8, 2017

Inspiring Movie

The movie was very inspiring to me. I watched it in theaters, when I was ten years old, and it made me a different person. The music was also very beautiful.

Written byAnonymous February 8, 2017

Moving

Inspiring, sickening, hard to watch drama is fantastic; lots of brutality

Kid, 11 years old January 16, 2016

Great

I love this movie, almost cried, but awesome movie. When lbj sais: Are you trying to (f word) over your president it's funny but unnecesary. This movie shows the real struggle and sacrifices meant for all of us to have peace and justice. You should Never show this to your less mature teens and WORSE under that, cause they will be swearing like crazy. Otherwise, great movie. And p.s. there is consumerisim. They show coca cola and some other stuff.

Teen, 17 years old Written byiiRevieW October 3, 2015

Touching and heartbreaking

Even I'm not African American this movie made my cry. You should let your kids watch it because it has historical meaning to it. Although quite a few violent scenes and depressing matter. This movie is about MLK's fight for equal rights. The only thing about him was he believed in the LORD almighty and was nonviolent

Teen, 13 years old Written byfilmfan13 June 25, 2015

Review Of Selma

This film is about the Civil Rights Movement in America in the 1960s. The film centres on Martin Luther King as he leads the protests for voting rights for Black Americans in Selma, Alabama in 1965. The movie is based on true events.

The set and costumes were very stylish and fitted well with the time period. I found the look of the film very authentic.

David Oyelowo's portrayal of Martin Luther King was outstanding and gave me goosebumps! The cast worked well together which was very evident on screen.

One of the lower points of the film for me was that some of the events were glossed over and made the story harder to follow. For example when Martin Luther King went to court for permission to march.

I give this film 4/5. I thought this movie was good and raised awareness about the Civil Rights Movement in America in the 1960s. I would have liked some more explanation at some points in the film. The movie may have made more sense for an American audience as they would know more about this subject.

Kid, 10 years old June 6, 2015

great movie

i think this movie is great i think to a scale 1 to 10 it would be totally 10

Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2015

Amazing, inspirational movie!

As an Indian kid, I enjoyed this movie. It shows how Dr. King used Gandhi's non-violent approach. Although it is PG-13 it does have quite strong language including 2 uses of F--k, many uses of N----r during the protests, and few uses of S--t. There is lots of violence including beatings, bullet hits, and blood, but other than this, the movie is perfect for people who want to know about Dr. King and his era.