Parent reviews for Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird

Big Bird finds his true home in this warm tale.

Wondering if Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird is OK for your kids?

Parent Written byTikiDad2 September 15, 2019

Slightly More Mature Themes than the Show

While the premier Sesame Street Movie is a great little film, it presents more mature themes than your typical episode would. Big Bird deals with a sense that he doesn’t belong, along with feelings of depression, fear, and even experiences kidnapping and peril (which is not typical). My daughter first watched this at age 5, and had many questions about why the social worker was after Big Bird, and even found her scary. After watching it twice she’s grown to love it, but she had a lot of difficult questions along the way. I saw this movie at her age and went through much the same set of emotions, and was lucky enough to have thoughtful parents guiding me through it, as I tried to do for her.
Otherwise, it is a fun, funny adventure story that older kids who lay no longer be into Sesame Street might enjoy!

Adult Written bydvdgirl September 13, 2018

this is my movie.

I'll always cherish this movie. its so fun to see. a movie from my child hood that stays in my heart.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 14-year-old Written byKako January 18, 2015

Charming Sesame Tale!

This movie, based on Sesame Street (around the time of Noggin's "Sesame Street Unpaved"), is great! It was touching and creative, as well as funny and entertaining. Unlike the episodes, it follows one story.

Adult Written bySGA123 September 4, 2014

Safe watching with a parent

A couple of scenes require some discussion (why does the social worker's face look angry? etc...) but this movie is definitely appropriate for a 3yo. The songs are catchy for kids, the message is great (families don't all look the same), and it definitely holds my 3yo's attention.

Parent of a 2-year-old Written byjinx-wolf March 21, 2014

Adult Written byLowe's man March 6, 2014

fun for children and true SESAME STREET fans

While adults who watched SESAME STREET as children could feel either way about this movie, young children will love it, as will true SESAME STREET fans. When a child's attention span gets to the point where he or she starts getting interested in full-length movies, this is a good one to start with. The only word of caution is that the plot may confuse children under 4. But Big Bird's journey home is exciting, and, in true SESAME STREET style, all is well at the end, as Big Bird finally gets back to Sesame Street, where he belongs.
Adult Written bycaffinegirl85 September 19, 2011

love it!

very nice movie one of my favorite child hood flims great for children Big Bird already has a family back home in Seasme Street thats the true meaning of a family wonderful splendid movie!

Educational Value
Adult Written byElektra61306 July 9, 2011

Classic

Upifting songs, peaceful tone, my kids got into Big Bird from watching this movie, plus they love the music. Cool cameo by Waylon Jennings too.

Educational Value
Parent of a 3 and 4-year-old Written bymommyof234 April 21, 2011

Parent of a 3 and 3-year-old Written byjt7ou November 21, 2010
Parent of a 3-year-old Written byHeatherGW July 16, 2010

Meaning of Family

<3 it! Not a huge fan of Big Bird being placed with a bird family instead of his Sesame Street family -- after all, you don't have to look like your family to be family, right? But the ending makes it all better :)

Adult Written bypaulywogy June 26, 2010

Parent of a 4 and 6-year-old Written bymecarol April 27, 2010

Parent Written byCooldee April 22, 2010

Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written bycelinac January 28, 2010
Parent of a 4-year-old Written bysarowraith May 24, 2009
This was my favorite movie as a kid,,,watch it again, you'll be surprised at what was considered to be quality programing. my 4 year old doesn't care for this movie at all, she didn't think it was funny and there were a few scenes that freaked her out...I would maybe allow a ten year old or up to watch this.