All teen and kid member reviews for Shakespeare in Love

Teen, 15 years old Written byelenmadil April 9, 2008
Great movie! We watched in in school on history of literature and it was the first movie everyone in class liked. Really shows how the world looked in Shakespeare's time.
Teen, 16 years old Written byYossarian April 9, 2008

Better than expected

This movie was much different than I expected, but in a good way. I liked it, as it had just the right mix of comedy, drama, and romance. The story is supposed to follow William Shakespeare as he writes and prepares for the performance of Romeo and Juliet. When a well born admirer of his work tries out for a part Will is intrigued. He discovers her true identity and they fall in love, then proceed to have sex every night. She ends up being his prime inspiration for the play. There is some other sex in the movie at various times, and the biggest controversy is probably the admittance of women on the stage in Elizabethan London. As long as your kid is mature enough not to laugh at the sight of breasts, it is a decent choice for a family rent, though it is totally worth owning.
Kid, 12 years old July 19, 2012

Don't bother watching it.

I watched this a few months ago and hated it. It was a boring movie and the sexual scenes were overwhelming.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysnoge July 15, 2015

Very good, but some detailed sex scenes

A top quality film - sad, funny, captivating, erotic; overall, it's great fun. I watched it at 15 and really enjoyed it. The only thing parents should be concerned about is the sex scenes - there are a few, some containing almost full frontal nudity, however, most of the sex is done out of love so it sends the right messages.
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

Great Movie For Tweens And Up

Though this movie contains a lot of sex, it is pretty harmless and shows a wonderful view of Elizabethan England from the point of view of Shakespeare himself. Though this movie is probably not okay for kids 9 and under and maybe not okay for some 10 year olds it is still a great film.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 March 24, 2013

Romantic and cute...but Best Picture worthy?

This movie is infamous for being one of the worst Best Pictures...but that doesn't mean it's not a solid movie on its own. The chemistry between Shakespeare and Viola is fairly dynamic, and the supporting cast of British talent (oh and Affleck, I guess, who shows up for 10 seconds) is well enough. Don't expect a great deal from this film, and you'll be pleased enough.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleboy May 20, 2009

Is It Possible NOT To Love This Movie?

This is just one of those films that you simply can't hate. It's witty, it's sexy, it's dramatic, it's BRILLIANT! As a Shakespeare addict, I loved the little "wink-wink" references to his other works (the scene where he asks about money for "One Gentlemen of Verona," for instance), as well as the idea of showing the events that inspired "Romeo and Juliet," the greatest love story ever told. Not only is the story brilliant, but the acting is superb. Gwenyth Paltrow is adorable and surprisingly powerful as Viola (yes, she inspires "Twelfth Night"), and Joseph Fiennes hits the right mixture of brooding and charisma as Shakespeare himself. Other notable performances include Judi Dench as Queen Elizabeth and the usually terrible Ben Affleck doing a ver good job here. I would also like to give the writers their props for playing with the gender-reversal thing that goes on in "Twelfth Night" while Viola (the real-life one) pretends to be a man so she can be in "Romeo and Juliet," that's clever stuff. As far as the age-appropriateness, there are a few steamy scenes, one or two of them providing a glimpse of Ms. Paltrow's breasts. There's also a smidge of language, but not much.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDixs1500 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written by2cat007 October 11, 2010
Teen, 16 years old Written bydark rose April 9, 2008

hilarious

I saw this school for english class. very funny...
Teen, 13 years old Written byPoppy.bath February 13, 2016

rather surprised and disturbed, but alright

I was rather surprised at how inappropriate this was! and quite a bit of nudity! it was alright but I was shocked with how many sex scenes there were!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byProjektor May 14, 2015

Okay. This is shouldn't be 1998's oscar winning movie. This is good, but materials would have been better. Music, Art Direct and Costume Design is awesome, but...

This movie have sexuality and nudity. But violence is quite nothing.