Kid reviews for Shakespeare in Love

Shakespeare in Love Poster Image

Amazing movie with minorly explicit scenes.

The film shows the setting of the Shakespearean era very well with top quality production. The costumes, acting, and filming create a captivating experience, taking the viewer back to the simple life of the world's greatest dramatist, displaying him as a young man and a contemporary. The movie, as humorous, romantic, dramatic and gorgeous as it is, captures both comedy and tragedy in itself perfectly, as do Shakespeare's own plays. It shows a fictional inside look behind the writing of Romeo and Juliet and the mastermind of Shakespeare by likening his inspirations to events in his real life, both in hardship and prosperity. Although not historically accurate, it is the re-imagined ideas of how it might have happened that makes it so appealing. The film also portrays strong female actors in major roles, including the lead role pursuing her love and passion as a stage actor, even though women were not allowed to act at the time. For parents, the only concern with letting your children watch is the occasional sex scene, with semi nudity, which can be skipped or watched with parental guidance if you know your child is mature enough. Violence is almost completely absent apart from stage fights, with only one semi-torturous scene present at the beginning and a mildly portrayed sword fight. There is almost no drinking/drugs apart from a couple of scenes taking place in a bar, as well as mild occasional profanity during the fight scene. I would 100% recommend this film to anyone interested in literature due to its, even if fictional, insight on one of the greatest playwrights of the language as well as its beautiful mix of victories and difficulties in every scene.

1 person found this helpful.

"lavish" inacurate historical drama is not very good.

did not deserve best picture and not very good. also unescecary sex scenes.

Everyone on the video game drinks ginger ale and eats chips

Everyone on the video game drinks ginger ale and eats chips

Artistic, Inspiring, with a little explicit parts

Very great plot line. If you like literature or old fashioned movies this movie is for you. It shows how love can be shown in many ways. There are some parts where nudity is shown, and if you are mature enough it won’t be bad. If you are a parent, I would 100% recommend this to your teens or tweens.

7 Oscars For THIS?! Private Ryan was snubbed in Oscars

One of the things which left me uncomfortable was this movie won best picture in oscars 1998 which was a snub, I dont know but there are Rumors that say there are fake top critic reviews of the movie, which might mean, that most of the film grading websites like Rotten tomatoes and metacritic is showing false information. And if you have seen the imbd score it IS 7.1 before fake reviews it was 6.8, along with google saying 84%. THis is a boring movie not smart or logic just the type of film which is designed to win 7 oscars and leave the audience unsatisfied; this film is the meaning of pure boring, i if you have not seen a scene from this film, William shakespeare is just lying on the ground in the theatre for no reason in a slack postion and the woman,Viola is wearing Finn from Adventure Time's LUTE SUIT and says random gibberish in non sensical shakespeare style but Saving Private Ryan At Least Made More Sense, even with shakespeare in love's fake reviews Private Ryan still Managed to beat in all possible ways even in rotten tomatoes except 0scars 1999 (that was just wrong such a dumb film winning the oscar). Actually I don't want to see another film like shakespeare in love again, its frickin boring and dont waste your time watching this!

This is a beautiful movie

I loved this movie so much it is a great love story, it is very romantic. There is a lot of sex scenes have your kids close there eyes or skip through those parts. Other than that this is an amazing movie.

great but for mature people

We watched this in class and were told to be mature when it came to the "sex scenes" maturity didn't last long in the room. Pretty funny at parts and got us all thinking and loving the topic. great stuff!

rather surprised and disturbed, but alright

I was rather surprised at how inappropriate this was! and quite a bit of nudity! it was alright but I was shocked with how many sex scenes there were!!

Very good, but some detailed sex scenes

A top quality film - sad, funny, captivating, erotic; overall, it's great fun. I watched it at 15 and really enjoyed it. The only thing parents should be concerned about is the sex scenes - there are a few, some containing almost full frontal nudity, however, most of the sex is done out of love so it sends the right messages.

Okay. This is shouldn't be 1998's oscar winning movie. This is good, but materials would have been better. Music, Art Direct and Costume Design is awesome, but...

This movie have sexuality and nudity. But violence is quite nothing.