Parent and Kid Reviews on

Shaolin Soccer Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 4 parent reviews

Sort by:

Chow dancing to the beat of a different drummer

A quirky, inventive film that does not take itself too seriously, but still is able to portray "high" stakes. Chow portrays his character's burdens well and also allows for his brothers to relay their lots in life that allow for us to root for them in their attempts to spread the Shaolin way through soccer. The jokes come fast although not all may hit their mark, but the ones that do seem to land with grace and good humor. Chow is clearly very talented and you can clearly see the evolution of his vision from Shaolin Soccer to 2004's Kung Fu Hustle.

Funny, but a little better for the older kids

Very funny - though lots of slapstick violence and one scene at the end where a man's clothes are blown-off, revealing his fully bare bottom for a moment (it's a funny scene though). Kids were a little grossed out at seeing one character put a pair of clearly worn and stained underwear on his head. Watched by 8-11 year olds; they all loved the movie but with some of slapstick including bottles being broken repeatedly over one character's head and few other unkind acts to "shame" characters, I think it's better for the 10+ set.

Kids laughed out loud

Just watched this with my boys 8 & 10. Great movie for them. Although, they are great readers, they appreciated me reading the subtitles. This was ridiculous enough that they were laughing out loud.

Strange!

Subtitles in the version we rented. Bizarre. Slapstick. Was looking for more realistic martial arts. My son didn't want to watch it at first but got sucked in and loved it, got his little sister to watch it, and now trying to get his friends to watch it. You almost have to see this movie to believe how bad/good it is. Lots of inappropriate behavior.