All parent member reviews for Shark Tale

Adult Written byKristen Breck April 9, 2008

Sexy, manipulative fish and mob humor for kids?

This movie was visually interesting, but my kids were dizzy by the end of it. There is so much adult humor and adult references that much of it was lost on the kids, and shocking to me. Furthermore, I don't think that a slinky sexy fish charcater, nor mob humor and mob character take-offs are appropriate or funny for my 6, 8, and 10 year olds. It was a frenetic movie with fast scene-changes, a culture icon-catering stereotypical take-off of nothing. I think it missed not only its audience, but a potential to reach sensitive kids.
Adult Written byjchop April 9, 2008

VERY Disappointing

This movie is NOT for small children. In fact, I have a hard time deciding who this movie is for. In one word this move was ghetto. Hip-hop? Maybe. I'm very disappointed that Will Smith (whom I adore) would make such a movie. The plot is weak, it's laden with sexual innuendo (Lola) and the general theme really emphasized all you DON'T want your small children to learn. I can appreciate the entertainment value of the movie - but not for very small children. I suppose this movie is for 11-13 year olds??
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bycatht January 22, 2010

Undesireable in every way

Parent of a 6, 16, 18, and 19 year old Written byindianajoe December 28, 2013

Animated blaxploitation

I got to watch this whole thing stuck in line in a Comcast office. I've never seen groups of characters so segregated from each other. Or so uninteresting. Or so mired in cultural and gender stereotypes. In the end it's just a dumb tale about characters with nasty traits who never get their comeuppance, about the male lead defining himself by his ability to impress the female of the species, and about dumb people being dumb. Unless you consider ghetto swag a trait you want to encourage in your kids you probably don't want them to watch it. I'm glad I was reminded of how much this movie wears its pants around its knees so I can avoid showing it to my youngest. If my older ones are anything to go by, by the time kids are old enough to get the jokes they're also old enough to find this movie supremely lame. I'd almost rather show them Fritz the Cat.
Adult Written bykeeyan January 29, 2012

a good movie

shark tale the movie makes kids under the age of 7 not to go to the ocean
Parent of a 9 year old Written bynikilj April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymaddox121 August 25, 2015

10 and up for this reason

friggin freakin and other freak-words that are bad
Adult Written byiams November 29, 2014

Add to swearing

During the funeral scene, one of the mafia sharks says "burn in the depths of hell"
Adult Written byfilmy March 18, 2011
Adult Written bydawn April 9, 2008

Adult Written byJjSmihal April 9, 2008

We had an enjoyable evening!

We took our 4 year old to see the movie Saturday night. She enjoyed it, but remembered little about the plot. I felt that it had many twists and turns and snappy language making it difficult for her to "get it" the first time she saw it. (As every parent with a preschooler knows, they like to watch a movie MANY times before truly enjoying it!) The only thing that annoys me a little bit is the big push for fish to be "friends... not food." I am not a vegetarian!
Adult Written byjcarole April 9, 2008

Parent of a 9 year old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

Funny for various ages and genders

My 6 year old girl and 11 year old boy both howled and enjoyed this, as did their 50-year-old mother. (Pre-readers will miss a lot of the wordplay humor in signs.) Great visuals, good message about Lenny's differences.
Adult Written bydbk April 9, 2008

Adult Written bysherrihf April 9, 2008

Could have been so much better

The shark scenes with D'Niro's character were funny. As the movie wore on, the cliches wore on me. The fish were creepy looking (what kind were they anyway?) They looked too human to perceive them as fish. The messages were a little to mature for my 7 & 9 year olds.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Adult Written byn8chiro April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymamma2jpc April 9, 2008

Not worth the time

Funny ending but boring up untill the last half hour. It feels like the writers were tring to catch the "Finding Nemo" craze and fell short.
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bykrisbeldin April 9, 2008

Funny Movie, bad message

I feel that this movie has all the right moves when it comes to a fun cartoon for kids; the comedic content was good. My concern is that the message sent is the wrong one. Lying is a bad thing, especially in this case when the whole town is deceived. This is not the message I want to send my children. I feel that if the topic of lying is discussed and the issue is brought up as a family and kids understand that lying is in fact bad, that the movie can just be a fun movie and nothing else.
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

WE HAVE THIS MOVIE AT HOME & ITS SUCH A CUTE! MOVIE.