All parent member reviews for Short Circuit

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byAshwin.K. May 30, 2010

Too much bad language for our taste; otherwise great movie.

The movie itself is very good, but has a lot of foul language like "sh*t" and "a**hole". Quite unnecessary for such a wonderful story. Without this it would be quite the classic. Someone should make an edited version of it.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bykboulia November 26, 2010

This movie has very inappropriate language throughout the entire movie. If it were one or two times, I would overlook it, but the variety of curse words combined with the frequency make this movie inappropriate for children under 12, and even then I'm not sure I want my 12 year old hearing some of this language.
Parent of a 3, 7, and 8 year old Written bydawnmbowers January 15, 2011

Not good for kids (and the acting is poor anyway)

I guess I forgot how much swearing and sexual references were in this movie, not to mention that the acting (especially by Ally Sheedy) is just poor. There is a lot of swearing and even an actor saying he is "sporting a woody." Too bad as the story plot is kind of cute but I would say this movie is really not appropriate for kids at all.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bytrnlvr January 22, 2009

Not the movie I remember!

My almost-5-year-old LOVED Wall*E so when I came across a Short Circuit DVD, I just knew he'd get a kick out of that. Being rated PG, I figured it was safe so let him watch it without me in the room. I'd obviously forgotten about all the language because when I heard the "mild" profanity, it shocked me. All I remembered was how funny the robot was & how engaging. Fortunately, my son doesn't know the words they used were bad words - he doesn't hear those in our home - so it went over his head but I'm not going to give him the chance to learn them. I gave the DVD away. Sad, too, because it's such a cute movie otherwise.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byvinegarchick May 8, 2015

Common sense is off the mark on their review

No marks for sexual content Common Sense? Your off the mark here. One guy talks about getting "a woody". Robot looks at Stephanie taking a bath and comments on her "nice software". Really that's not sexual? Too much profanity too. Not appropriate for an 8 year old by any means.
Parent Written bykareybob April 1, 2013

I'd skip this movie based on the language

my only issue was the language. words like G D-it, and all versions of 4-letter words that start with S and D, as well as all kinds of inappropriate ways to call someone a jerk, were sprinkled through the movie about every 5 minutes. I was told it was a cute show for my kids- age 12 and 9. My 9-year old didn't even realize those words were bad words, so we didn't say anything, but my 12 year old noticed and just kept quiet about it for her sister's sake. Since the movie wasn't that spectacular, I would suggest skipping it and watching ET or Never Ending Story or something like that.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byMattmchugh March 26, 2012

OK for Tweens if you don't mind some profanity

This is only a so-so film, but kids will find the robot (one of the most realistic in movie history, by the way) a lot of fun to watch. As many reviewers have mentioned, there is frequent moderate profanity (part of the shtick is hearing the robot swear on occasion) that seems unnecessary -- but, if that doesn't bother you too much, this is an OK movie for older pre-teens. There's a running gag with an Indian character mangling English expressions, and one very quick drug joke, that might make some cringe, but it's pretty innocuous stuff.
Parent of a 9, 10, 12, and 18 year old Written bymamalisa03 February 5, 2011

Way too much absolutely unnecessary swearing

Way too much swearing, every three minutes there is a new swear word used. every swear word is used in this movie, including the "f" word disguised by a robot flipping his finger. I was embarrassed to watch this with our 9, 10, and 12 year olds.
Adult Written bymcarthey April 9, 2008

Not as good as I remember

I had purchased this movie in a used store because I remembered liking it as a child. My children (6 and 9) wanted to see it due to their fascination with robots. I turned it off shortly after realizing the amount of language in it was appalling. There is also an early scene where Ally Sheedy is being abused by her (apparent) boyfriend (pushed and yelled at). There is no real family values in the movie and there are many better choices for a peaceful evening.
Adult Written byDLJones3423 April 9, 2008

Still as funny now as it was

My husband and I laughed hysterically while watching this older movie with our kids. My only objection to having our 5 and 6 year old sons watching it was the swearing. We had to have a discussion about why we don't talk like that. And the opening scene was a little scary. But they loved the rest of the movie and begged to watch it again. The little sexual innuendos went right over their heads, as we had expected. Our tween daughter was indifferent to the movie at first, but she enjoyed it eventually.