All parent member reviews for Shutter Island

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 March 6, 2014

Twisty, with an old fashioned noir feel to it!

Only good results can happen when Leo and Marty make a picture, and this formula is solidified with "Shutter Island;" the name alone makes you think of a Bogart-esque 40's film, right? The scenery and lighting are impeccable, along with that score, that incredible orchestra score that haunts the film, placing the viewer right in the middle of this mental asylum and forcing them to peek around the corner like Leo and Mark Ruffalo do. The plot twist was interesting, and wrapped things up nicely, but the real gift here is seeing vets like Max von Sydow and Jackie Earl Haley and seeing them get into some seriously juicy character roles. Leo is great too, bringing his usual emotional intensity to a role that demands QUITE a lot of it.
Adult Written bychristian2011 August 21, 2013

Brilliant psychological thriller with horror elements and very disturbing themes.

This is a very dark and thought provoking psychological thriller with some degree of horror elements that surround it. The acting was great, really gave the movie a realistic, emotional edge - relating to the atmosphere and the disturbing tension this film contains throughout. DiCaprio brings everything he's got to the table when he acts, and he definitely did in this one. Shutter Island is about Teddy Daniels, a man accompanied with his officer to go and investigate a psychiatric ward and other asylums on an island, where he begins to experience episodes and sudden flashbacks of his estranged wife. Let me say that the plot and story takes a major twist and turn halfway through the film which was definitely shocking, which changes your point of view completely. Shutter Island is not for the faint-hearted; it contains highly disturbing and creepy imagery, especially by Teddy Daniel's realistic and unrelenting nightmares - one shows a woman covered in blood, a graphic shooting at a WW!! camp, frozen corpses, drowned children, and his wife turning into ashes. The asylum patients behavior and appearance can be quite disturbing, including the interviews where some discuss their horrific crimes in detail. The language isn't pervasive, but strong and crude (uses of f**k, godd**n, sh*t, c**k). There's some drug use - some characters smoke and use pipes, the usage of psychiatric drugs and sedatives, and some discussions about alcohol abuse. Nevertheless, Shutter Island is truly a thought-provoking and compelling thriller with masterful acting and with a plot full of shocking twists and surprises. Mature older teens should be ok with this film.
Adult Written bywonder dove May 3, 2013

Truly exceptional!

The first time I watched this movie, it was quite confusing. I had to search movie reviews to better understand what the story was about. After knowing more, I ended up loving it! It's one of those brilliantly made psychological thrillers that makes you really think and you have to watch the movie very carefully, preferably twice to really understand and catch all the clues. It's eerie and dark in a mysterious atmosphere with creepy sound effects that really hit the spot and sets the mood. It's also sad too because you get to experience a little of what it's like in a mental institution and what one may be going through. If you're watching for the first time and didn't fully understand the story, look it up and read other people's interpretations, it helps so that when you watch it again it makes a lot more sense! Very enjoyable movie! Leo is (once again) amazing! Loved all the actors. Violence is pretty strong and has shootings, dead bodies including children, children who drowned, needles used as weapons, fires, scary images and dream flashbacks of frightening events. Sexual content just has some kissing of a married couple, nude prisoners (mainly shadowed) and we hear a couple "f" words and c*ck in a sexual way. Language is also strong with plenty of "f" words and other harsh words. Some drinking, lots of smoking and some prescription pills used. I think it's fine for 15+ viewers but it does make you think so it may be boring for teens! Adults will love.
Parent Written bybabygirl92293 May 7, 2012

the movie

i watched part of this movie at my aunts house on the 4th of july like 2 years a go...it was ok until the failed suicide part where the guy tried to kill himself... and his head was half blown off but he was still alive... i couldnt watch it anymore after that because 4 months earlier my friend committed suicide by shooting himself... and i had a nightmare about that... i
Adult Written byEzio6 March 19, 2012

A masterpiece

I think this may be one of the best movies ever made. Dicaprio is brilliant and the story is almost to good. A bit inappropriate for kids, because of violent flashbacks and the story could be a bit to confusing if you do not pay close attention during the movie. In my opinion, it is a masterpiece for everyone over 16
Parent Written byConverge July 22, 2011

IFFY

It was okay for me, but not for children. It is very violent, and even gory at times. So i would be very careful, even for yourself. If you can't handel shows like CSI, or Criminal Minds, this is not your movie.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace June 5, 2011

Intense

Once a kid is a teenager you should seriously consider letting them watch this movie. Shutter Island is one of the best mind twisters I have seen. That being said, some people are more affected by explorations into psychology than others. Procedures such as lobotomies can be very scary, even for adults. No one wants to go insane.
Adult Written byThatRussianYakAttack December 31, 2010

The Only Reason Not to Like This Movie Is If You Don't Have the Brains to Get It

It's a very intelligent plot. Scorsese, DiCaprio and Kingsley did marvelously, making this film my favorite movie of all time. Ignore everyone who say it's a bad film. The only reason they don't like it is because they're too ignorant to understand it. Some people just don't like movies that make them think too much.
Parent of a 3 and 14 year old Written byVAstuart22 December 9, 2010

Weird

The most confusing movie ever, it was psycological. I personaly didnt like it but watch it for storyline. that was pretty good.
Adult Written by2Simple October 30, 2010

Pretty good horror flick!

A wonderful thriller for teens and adults. It makes you think; it's not just some chainsaw guy chopping people up. This is very deep, and requires at least 2 viewings. Not for kids, though.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 11, 2010

Excellent, stylish, haunting thriller

This is a one of a kind movie. With stylish visuals, haunting and disturbing imagery, amazing performances, and strong story, this twisty, dark psychological thriller should satisfy your viewing pleasure. Parents: Warning: there is a great deal of distress and suspense in this movie, including disturbing images like drowned children and executed soldiers. There's salty language and some male nudity. Bottom Line: A great, classic-feeling thriller that doesn't rely on gratuitous gore or sex to draw attention to itself. Bravo, Martin Scorsese. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenoi July 22, 2010

Though certainly not for kids, this was a good movie

Though certainly not for kids, this was a good movie, not as creepy as I thought it would be.
Parent of a 10, 10, 16, 17, and 24 year old Written bytheguy July 20, 2010

this movie was very good but in this review i will tell you what is in this this movie. first in one scene you kids drowned in the lake the father crys dramatically and the mom says the can eat with us and give them baths they can be our little dolls before that you see the kids agin but with tones of blood of them these scens can be very depressing. in another scene you see a nazi with a chunk of his head open and is bleeding all over the floor. you can also see a scene where a tone of nazi men and the main character starts shooting them up the last main disturbing scene is when you see tons of dead nazi bodies stacked up on each other and this could unsettle some people lastly the main character smokes soo much in this movie
Parent of a 12 year old Written byALPACINO July 12, 2010

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 23, 2010

Heavy movie... very good

I loved this movie. I won't let any of my kids watch it. The fact that it's rated R, means that kids shouldn't be watching it. My parents would have let me watch it, but I saw The Exorcist at age 7, so that doesn't really count. It's a psychological thriller, so teenagers might not get that part of it. But the themes just aren't really for kids to watch. So, teenagers fifteen and older watching this doesn't really bother me, but I would say definitely not any younger than that.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 20, 2010

17 and up.

shutter island is a disturbing boring thriller movie that's best for adults the violence is intense and disturbing for example they show piles of dead bodies floating in the water also a lot of American soldiers killed one by one by the Nazi guards in close-up and what's more disturbing is that they show dead children floating in blood water there's also scary images shown there's no sex but there's one partial nudity in one scene a male's bottom is shown at the jail cell there's strong language used and some drinking, smoking, and drugs used.
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 30, 2010

A scare that stays with you.

Many horror movies today are full of "jump scares," where things pop out at you. Once you leave the theater, you are fine and over it already. But this movie is one of those that leaves a mark in your mind, so that you're still thinking as you get in the car and drive home. It's scary without being overtly "in-your-face." I highly recommend for anyone who loves thrillers and horror movies. It's probably too intense for kids, unless they like this kind of thing. There's some nudity, but they are prisoners in the cells and in the shadows so you can't see much.
Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written byBIGBUTTER May 18, 2010

Adult Written byGinger Locks April 27, 2010

See it twice, buy the dvd

Amazing and shocking movie, very confusing as well, takes two viewings to figure it all out. Other than the stuff mentioned already, this movie may not make any sense to some teens. It really makes you think, and to really pay attention. This is the type of movie that if you miss just one second, you're lost. Overall, best movie of the year so far. DiCaprio deserves a Best Actor nod this year.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byKakarot April 5, 2010

NO DOUBT A GREAT MOVIE WITH SOME EXTRAORDINARY PERFORMANCES AND SUSPENSE. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE. IT IS A MUST WATCH MOVIE