Kid reviews for Silver Linings Playbook

Offbeat dramedy mixes light and dark; some intense moments.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 November 30, 2012

SLP

Fantastic movie. 2nd best film of 2012 so far- 1: The Perks of Being a Wallflower 2: This 3: Looper 4: Wreck-It Ralph 5: Moonrise Kingdom 6: The Master 7: Seven Psychopaths 8: Argo 9: Skyfall 10: Beasts of the Southern Wild Honorable Mentions- The Dark Knight Rises, ParaNorman, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Jeff Who Lives at Home.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybuzzybee January 13, 2013

AMAZING

I watched this film and me, being clinically diagnosed as bipolar type II, could really understand the fustration and bitterness in the film... however it is very mature and i would strongly advise a parent for a child under 13 to watch this before thier child does to see how their child could take it. in my opinion children under 15 wouldnt even know what the disorder is anyways.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 6, 2013

Cooper and Lawrence shine bright in dark places

This (mature, with very strong language) movie had me cheering by the end. An original story of two misfits finding gradual love with each other and getting better as it goes along is infinitely touching. Lawrence, extremely sexy, shedding her "Katniss" persona completely, makes a lovably stubborn leading lady to Cooper's troubled protagonist. De Niro also is great as a father who just wants the best for his son, but can't quite show it through his die-hard Eagles superstitions overshadowing everything in his life. And even though he adds almost nothing to the plot, I really loved Chris Tucker's small but comical role.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander June 21, 2013

Great Drama with some Language and Sexual Themes

Silver Linings Playbook was not as inappropriate as I anticipated. There is quiet a bit of language, but nothing more than your typical R rated movie. There was a scene of nudity where a man and a woman are in a shower, however I didn't see any sensitive parts (genitalia, nipples) or at least I didn't notice any because the scene happens in quick flashes of anger. Other than that, Tifany (Jennifer Lawrence) is a rather sexual character. She offers sex to Pat early in the film and describes how she had sex with all of her office members (and she is consequently fired for this). She describes some of the sexual acts briefly to Pat, but its not too explicit. She also talks about her husband intending to have sex before dieing, which stimulated her to have sex with her coworkers out of loneliness. Lastly there is a bit of violence, mostly anger driven rampages by Pat or Tifany. For example, Pat knocks down a tray of magazines, smashes a book out of the window, and Tifany shoves the plates off of a table in a restaurant. In more extreme cases however, Pat joins a tailgate fight, fights his father and mother, and nearly murders a man who was cheating with his wife. None of the violence was bloody, but it was personal, making the fights have a strong impact. But that's the worst of the mature content. Teens looking for a good drama will be in for a good ride. The ending feels like a typical ro-com and it ended a little too fast and predictably for my liking. But the movie from the beginning on out is great with incredible acting earning Jenifer Lawrence Best Actress.

Kid, 12 years old August 9, 2013

14+ ONLY

I started watching it with my parents but they stopped it half way through because I was too young. It was a bit inappropriate for a 12 year old, but overall the beginning was good and I am looking forward to seeing it when I am a little bit older.

Teen, 13 years old Written byjacgunsalus February 17, 2015
I think that it was a really good movie for 14 and up. There were some inappropriate scenes and some violence (and a lot of swearing) and there is some social drinking. However, I thought it was a great movie!

Teen, 16 years old Written bypersuadedbread May 3, 2013

one of the best movies i have ever seen

wow. this movie is beutiful. having said that their is plenty of profanity, sexual content, and mild violence

Teen, 17 years old Written byKathryn867 January 13, 2018

Fantastic

Easily one of the best movies I've ever seenl things get serious and the topics are mature, but it's something most teenagers can handle. Even though the movie is somewhat dark and twisted, it shows the way that life is sometimes unpredictable and dissapointing, and ends on a really positive note.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan February 4, 2015

Silver Linings Playbook movie review

"Silver Linings Playbook" is a great film about relationships. I love the balance between comedy and the dramatic moments. Bradley Cooper was fantastic as Patrick Jr. He showed a lot of great emotions throughout the course of the film. As the movie progresses, I see his character mature. I see him learning how to go on in life. Jennifer Lawrence was very good. She gave the best performance of her entire career in "Silver Linings Playbook". Lawrence showed a side of emotional maturity and stability throughout the course of this film. But of course, Robert De Niro was the best part of the entire movie. I loved his character so much. His performance was so great. It's finally great to see Chris Tucker in a good movie. The movie has so many great messages about how to handle relationships. It also has great messages about how to cope with mental illness and finding emotional relief. I absolutely loved this movie and highly recommend to everyone who is mature. There is no absolutely inappropriate content, but the "Silver Linings Playbook" is a very mature-themed film. No romantic comedy has ever made me feel this emotional and happy at the same. I forgot that I was watching a movie when watching "Silver Linings Playbook" because it felt so real. That is the sign of a terrific screenplay.

Kid, 12 years old June 15, 2013

SPECTACULAR!!!!

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK is funny and comes from the heart. If your kids want to watch this film, you may want to talk to them about language and illness this film presents. 10/10 - Spectacular!

Teen, 14 years old Written byBigDreamer48 August 3, 2017

Great movie with struggling characters.

This movie is about a young man with Bipolar who has trouble with anger issues. He meets a young widow with depression who also struggles with her illness. There is no bloody violence, but there is a big fight during a football game, and a scene where a man is almost beaten to death for cheating on the main character with his wife. There is also a lot of intense arguing, and the main character shoves his mother, and hits his father who hits him back. In the shower scene which is in flashbacks, a bare bottom is shown, and sex is mentioned and implied during several occasions. There is also a lot of language consistently used throughout the film. There is drinking in a few scenes, but nothing gets much past that. Overall, this film is well-made with excellent acting, and shows that even flawed people can be happy. It also shows that people with mental illnesses can learn to control them selves at a more affective level.

Teen, 13 years old Written byciara100generous June 3, 2015

Teen, 14 years old Written byLily Eleanor May 27, 2014

Great feel good film- walked away with a smile on my face.

This is a great film which in my opinion should definitely be viewed purely because I liked it so much. It has minor sexuality, swearing and (maybe) violence however if you are a mature 12 year old you should be able to handle this. Generally a nice storyline with great acting!
Teen, 17 years old Written byZachStearns November 9, 2018

Review from a person with bipolar disorder

I have had to deal with bipolar disorder since I was eight or nine. I had no idea what this movie was going to be about going into it. I was amazed by how realistic the portrayal of bipolar was. While I am not as effected by it as Pat is, but I was surprised to hear that he quit taking the same three medications I was on. The choreography for the dance sequences is nearly perfect. Jennifer Lawrence is definitely one of the highlights of this film. This is a great film for anyone needing a romance film.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTuittifruity March 30, 2015

AMAZING

I think this movie is one of my favorite movies ever (It comes 2nd after The Hunger Games) and of course the cast was perfect for their roles that they got and I absolutely LOVE AND ADORE Jennifer Lawrence she is the most PERFECT and AMAZING and HILARIOUS human being ever. I've even watched this 4 times before and I would totally recommend it for ages 14+ because yes there is quite a bit of swearing in it but it didn't bother me at all.

Kid, 12 years old December 21, 2014

Great

Great movie but has a lot of language and sex bit of violence to

Teen, 14 years old Written byEmilia Fernandez November 14, 2018

Good movie!

I saw this movie two days ago and I actually loved it! The sex (2/5) is not a lot but not so suitable for tweens or younger: Only tree kiss scenes. Tiffany mentions and reveals that she had a job but was fired for having sex with all the other workmates. Pat has a flashback (shown) where he catches his ex-wife Nikki making out with another man; there are only one or three quick shots of bare tits and one shot of bare butt. The violence is eh (1/5): An angry Pat beats a man (the one who made out with Nikki in the shower) to an inch of his life and attempts a fight his dad after the flashback ends. But the movie does has messages about love one of them teaches that you don’t have to make someone love you they have to love you back and that person is usually the ones who know you well or have something in common with you you’ll never know who it will be.

Teen, 14 years old Written byStarman467 August 20, 2017

Everyone needs to see this

This is possibly the most beautifully real movie ever made. Silver linings playbook is easily my favourite movie of all time. As a person who suffers from multiple mental disorders, this movie gave me a lot of hope. Now go watch it:).

Teen, 17 years old Written byEllie-Donovan15 July 17, 2016

Great

it's a funny movie but if you actually think about the whole plot, it's quite dark. I'd recommend parents watching first then if you think it's ok let your kids watch it. It is an outstanding film and you won't be bored. HOWEVER there is frequent uses of f**k and s**t and some sexual scenes

Teen, 15 years old Written bymro15 March 18, 2016

amazing movie

not much to say here other than this is an amazing, inspirational movie! good for mature 14+