Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Smallfoot

Fun, feel-good animated musical offers positive messages.

Adult Written byPderosier1 October 3, 2018

Faith is bad, rebellion is good

As in many youth films today, Smallfoot works around the very common theme of narrow-minded adults who must be shown the errors of their ways. It broadly depicts the faith culture as submitting to a set of laws which are not only ridiculous, but turn our to be a known lie by the religious head. The rules are written in stone and it is simply to coincidental to ignore the parallels to modern faiths. Our heros do rightly ask hard questions, but faith leaders are shown as secretive and continue to lie until they are finally coerced into being honest with the people. The heros, on order to prove that they are right (per the norm of modern choldren's entertainment) sneak out, rebel against authority, travel alone into unkown places, and misrepresent themselves to their parents. (I suppose this is okay because it is for the sake of truth.) Not only would I say that the cartoon which was mearly lightly entertaining was full of more subversive messages than good ones, but I sadly paid to watch and expose my kids to this fodder. Good messages do include giving people unlike yourself a chance, that integrity is key and that fame is not all it is cracked up to be, but I found myself continually trying to convince myself that the messages that were supposedly underlying, but were really the main moral of the story was not simply a narrow-minded rendition of religion bashing at its core. If I am supposed to take it as something else, I do not see how. This movie was not just a waste of money, it was insulting. It will certainly not be in our home, and I regret the time that I spent watching it and will not get back.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySpandangly September 22, 2018

Wonderful Family Discussions

While this isn't a top-tier production (the music is a little weak and the animation isn't the best you've ever seen), it holds it's own with a great subject and dynamic characters. I've never taken my kids (3,6) to a theater before because they're scared of most Disney and Pixar movies. I took a chance on this and it was one of our best outings ever. The themes of standing for Truth when it is hard, seeking Knowledge even when it challenges your beliefs and relationships, and being willing to listen and change your mind with new information soaked wonderful conversations with my kids. So thrilled. It was not too scary for my very sensitive kids, and it does show there can be two sides when things seem scary (a roaring Yeti may just be speaking a different language). I do take issue with some negative comments about an indecisive friend near the end--i wish they'd been more supportive of his differences. However, it's another opportunity to talk to my kids about how I felt about that--being patient and kind, accepting of differences and how none of us are perfect.

Adult Written byyesthat'sme October 5, 2018

Political mind washing with catchy songs and fun characters.

I gave it a 12 and up, because there was no field for, "This is only for kids who are able to critically think." Multiple insults to people of faith, including: The commandments of the yetis, written on stone tablets, are found out to be lies created by the leaders to keep the people "safe." Sacred scrolls are toilet paper. They make fun of people who believe in creation, equating creation with the world being pooped out by a yak. Multiple political talking points throughout the movie, including: The town being, "Woke", how the heroes have to, "resist," society has to be, "pulled down to be remade better," people with guns are evil and want to pointlessly kill everything, and finally, cops are evil and keeping us from reaching out and making peace. All wrapped up with cute characters and catchy songs. Brainwashing at it's best.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bygkoberstein September 29, 2018

Language?

Common sense review about language: "Infrequent use of words including "butt," "crap," "stupid," "jerk," "sucks"... Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but in our home we don't talk to one another using those words, wouldn't want my kids talking to their friends or teachers using those words, and never use those words talking to my colleagues or patients using those words. Whenever I hear people using derogatory language to describe others or use that language mixed into their regular dialogue, it always takes me back. Not what I consider"curse words", just not would rather someone use their brain to come up with something better. Also not sure when the 10 commandments became the 10 suggestions. Last I checked, taking the Lord's name in vain, is counted as bad language.
Adult Written byheidimisty October 8, 2018

Anti-Religeon Movie

This movie tears down Truth and traditions.
Adult Written byfudibennett October 19, 2018

Don’t waste your time and money

I wanted to take my children to watch a “lighthearted “movie but couldn’t take the underlying messages! Worst movie ever!Dont waste your money! Written in very poor taste and not sensitive to religion or cultures. The underlying message was to Bash people of faith!
Adult Written bymmolisani November 6, 2018

Walked out on this - ANTI-People of Faith

Wished I read reviews before wasting my money. Provided an opportunity for me to chat with my kids about the many slanders to scripture and the Word of God. Offensive and a shame Lebron would be a part of it. Awful movie with a worse message! Will tell others.
Adult Written bynduns September 27, 2018

A good film that almost wound up being great

I've been on the fence about this film since I saw the trailers. The teaser did very little for me, making this look like one of those typical comedies that takes a clever idea and wastes it on a barrage of forced jokes. The more I learned about the plot, the more interested I got, but ultimately, I wasn't really looking forward to it. (Well, okay, it did win me over when I saw a certain promotional clip online) But after seeing it, on the upside, it's better than I thought it would be. On the other hand, it doesn't quite reach beyond good, and it kind of gets to me because I feel like this could have been great. See, there is nothing necessarily bad I can say about this film (Well, except for the ending, but I'll go further into that in a bit) but there's nothing remarkable I can say. Every so often, this film introduces a brilliant concept, and every time, I feel like it almost nails it but then pulls back at the last second because it's a family film. For instance, the plot is centered around totalitarianism. The interactions between the main leads are great, especially the miscommunication between them at first. But, again, it's all done reasonably well, but it also feels like the film is afraid to go all the way with this stuff. As for the ending, without spoiling anything, they set up a really good and different kind of ending, very bittersweet, something I was not expecting at all. Then it pulls the same stunt The Croods did and keeps going, ultimately retconning what could have been the ultimate highlight of the film. But, again, there are more than enough positives for me to say this film was worth seeing. The biggest shock for me is that it's a musical with original songs (Well, one of them is basically the film's own version of 'Under Pressure', but they do enough to make it its own thing) and the songs are well-done. Granted, they're not exactly anything special and sound like they may have taken a little too much inspiration from Frozen, but they're still good and at least a couple of them I found memorable. The characters, again, are likable enough and the main leads work well off of each other. The humor did very little for me at first, but it picked up significantly after the first 10-20 minutes. I also admire the fact that this film didn't go the straight-up comedic route I thought it would and actually has a sense of heart, plus any family film that doesn't feel like it needs to have a villain at least gets a few bonus points from me. All-in-all, Smallfoot is a good film. Not great, but good. If you're curious, it's worth it.

Parent of a 5, 11, and 14 year old Written byDamien M. September 29, 2018

Surprisingly good, had a scary bit near the end

The first three quarters of the movie was surprisingly good, our entire family (with one exception) really enjoyed it. That said, three quarters of the way through is a "history lesson" portion that turned out to scare our 5yo to the point he was in tears and asked to be taken out of the theatre. Until that point he really enjoyed it and was laughing lots, but that scene was a bit much. My wife, who stayed with our older kids, said that it continued being a bit scary for about ten more minutes, but it ended well.

Adult Written byHiddenJewel October 31, 2018

Soooooo impressed with this movie!

Not only am I a Bible-believing New Testament Christian that boldly stands for my faith (which I obtained by grace though faith in Jesus Christ), I am also well learned in the Old Testament, have studied the Hebrew Roots of the Christian faith, have obtained the truth of the New Testament covenant being the same as the old Testament covenant simply administered differently (written on man’s heart through the Holy Spirit rather than on stone) and I adhere strongly to keeping the law of God (most accurately translated instructions of God) out of LOVE and OBEDIENCE (not for salvation.) All that being said, I thought this movie was FANTASTIC and am very surprised at the negative reviews from many Christians. While I did definitely frown on the ridiculous idea that the entire village of Yetis initially believed that the world fell out of an ox’s butt, I found that it truly parallels some of the ridiculous doctrines that many “religious” people blindly believe simply because “they were preached from a pulpit and therefore must be true.” Many of these denominational doctrines can be found NOWHERE in scripture, yet are embraced whole-heartedly because no one has taken the time or made the effort to question them or to seek out truth. Raising four children in a culture that has zero value for telling the truth and maintaining a lifestyle of integrity, I found myself literally calling out, “YES!!!!!” multiple times during the movie- as it continually presented the viewer with the notion that honesty and integrity are valuable and important and RIGHT! I cannot applaud the creators of this movie enough for plugging such a fantastic message to this young generation and their parents! My college age son and teenage and tween daughters go to school every day to supposedly “Christian” schools and they literally stand ALONE for the deep truths of the Bible. (This blows my mind!) They are surrounded with peers and leadership that are content to live life under “false truth” preached from the pulpits where grace excuses everything and no one is held responsible for their thoughts or actions. This is 100% un-Biblical! The grace of God and the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ are indeed a free gift…that requires REPENTANCE, a heart change, and a TURNING AWAY from sin and from the “right” to continue in sin. Hebrews 10:26-29 is VERY clear that no atoning sacrifice is left for anyone who deliberately continues in sin after trusting in Jesus and therefore “tramples” on the blood He shed to save them. Some of my kids’ teachers do not believe that inappropriate movies, television, and music are in conflict with their “Christian values.” How can this be-as Christians are called to be set apart and to fix their minds only on things that are true, worthy of reverence, honorable and just, pure, lovely and lovable, kind, gracious, virtuous, excellent, and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8) Their lives simply do not line up with the truths presented in the Bible. They, along with 99% of their students, choose to embrace the “false truth” that our American holidays do not have shockingly pagan origins that God has clearly commanded His people to set themselves apart from. Just like in the movie Smallfoot, unveiling the truth about these things would cause all of the people to panic and search for answers (gasp!) and become upset at those that intentionally led them astray. They’d even have to give up their treasured man-made traditions! (The horror!) So it’s just easier and “best for everyone” to instead hide in the midst of the deception. Of course, if allowed to search out the truth…the truth seekers WILL eventually FIND the TRUTH! And that would ruin absolutely EVERYTHING…because then they would actually be accountable to the truth. And so would everyone else. As the movie quotes, “Ignorance is bliss.” Watching this movie was such an encouragement to my kiddos who stand for Biblical truth day after day, get teased and left out because of their stand, and don’t really see any change coming on the horizon. They cannot and will not compromise themselves to believe the lies that everyone around them warmly embraces and they will not stuff down their desire to walk in real truth-GOD’S TRUTH-as recorded in the Bible vs. meaningless man-made rules, theology, and denominational doctrines as the leadership in Smallfoot encourages. Holding the utmost respect and honor for the ten commandments and the Christian faith as a whole, our family in NO way perceived this movie to be looking down upon God’s laws or religion or faith in general. If that was indeed the creators of this film’s intention-it backfired! Instead, it served as a wonderful reminder for this God-loving family to keep standing for the absolute truths found in the Bible. It pushed us to never bury our heads in the clouds and try to fit in with those around us that are happily walking in complete deception as the mindless Yetis in Smallfoot did. And it served as a reminder that the truth (not man-made doctrines that sound really nice and make us feel better about ourselves and our choices) will set us free. (John 8:32) This movie makes for a perfect analogy and eye-opening family discussion. If anyone out there is TRULY searching for truth in their life…like the main character in this movie….go down the mountain below the fake man-made clouds of steam and… Honestly compare the infallible words of the Bible to your own religion’s belief system… Research God’s instructions for life (erroneously known as “the Law”) first found in the Old Covenant and then repeated and expounded upon in the New Covenant and why Jesus stated that obeying them is still a current way to express love to God… Study God’s grace that was first presented in the Old Covenant and then expressed through Jesus Christ in the New Covenant… Research how the law (instructions of God) and grace have both been terribly misunderstood and therefore mis-taught from the pulpit over the years… Discover what being a follower of Christ originally looked like as modeled by Jesus’ disciples and the early believers and how “Christianity” today falls incredibly short of that description… And search out the origins of all of the holidays you celebrate and how they (despite your good intentions in them) can not possibly please a holy God who has specifically asked His people NOT to worship Him as the pagans do or participate in any activities similar to those of the pagans. MANY more hidden truths can be unlocked by simply picking up a Bible and testing what you’ve always been told against it. If you do put in the time and effort to search out these matters, you will soon find your “spiritual eyes” being opened to the absolute and infallible truths of the Bible that have been hidden under years and years of God’s people blindly following man’s traditions and “commentary” on scripture rather than asking questions and searching truth out for themselves. As with the hero in Smallfoot, no matter how “counter culture” your pursuit of truth may seem, it can ultimately bring you, your family, your friends, and countless others into a glorious life of freedom that you probably never knew existed!

Parent Written byHealth4Mer October 6, 2018

Airplane Crash Details

Even though my boy and girl tweens really enjoyed this movie, as did I, I thought it is paramount to expand on the “Plane Crash” scene. First, no plane crash anything belongs in a PG animation, but it does; and let it not stop you from seeing this movie. Let me dispell some imaginings for some adults. I was very pleased to see the said airplane was not a passenger plane that we all climb into, but a grey cargo-type plane. Less personal association is good! Then, only the two side engines are on fire, thus debilitating the plane, and this seemed less threatening than seeing the whole aircraft in peril. Also, the plane does a gentle right-side-up crash and not the more horrific nose-dive. Another plus for the youngins’ imaginations! Overall, the plane kinda breaks down, on fire. I hope my details help quell any reservations you might have!

Adult Written byAlemarga2511 October 1, 2018

For litlle kids

I went to see the movie with my children, 2 and 6 year olds, they had a lot of fun and understood it. I enjoyed it to, and that doesn't happen often. It was a great outing with the girls.

Adult Written bygreyes9 October 5, 2018

Favorite Movie of the Year!

This film encourages investigating truth for oneself and not following traditions blindly. I loved that there was no "bad guy." Well-rounded characters who are loveable and courageous. Definitely worth seeing!

Parent of a 3 year old Written byemily.jipson December 4, 2018

Not a bash on religion, rather an encouragement to understand your faith

A lot of reviews are saying that this film criticizes those who have religion and faith. As a Christian, I think that this film is more so about learning to find out the truth for yourself rather than trusting that others are telling you the truth. This is really blind faith versus head and heart knowledge. In church, my children and I are taught to compare what our Pastor says and what the world says to what is actually written in our Bibles. We are to take it another step further by learning the context behind the texts and to compare accuracy between multiple translations to the original Hebrew or Greek using a concordance. From here, our faith comes from the knowledge we have learned that's now in our heads and from what we believe in our hearts instead of accepting what one person says as truth. Small Foot is doing this in its own way. Migo and friends have questions about their religion because certain things do not make sense. Instead of trusting what one person has told them, they do the research themselves and find out that what they have been told is a lie. If you still have doubts, view the film first before your child watches it. Like I said above, do the research and make your decision based on what you know.

Adult Written byBigbootyluci October 17, 2018

Very cute - not mind blowing but GREAT for little kids!

The movie had every kid 2+ cracking up, lots of silly slapstick humor. Hearing all the little kids cracking up made me laugh so I really enjoyed it. It is light hearted and fun, certainly not my favorite kids movie though. I really liked that it showed the Yeti's perspective, that they are just as scared of humans as humans are of them which sent a very positive message about not judging what you don't understand. It also had a great message about questioning things that don't make sense and being truthful to yourself. Great lessons that kids can never learn too early!

Parent of a 11 year old Written byMomof2Kellys October 13, 2018

So unexpected!

So unexpected! I thought it was going to be just another cute disney animated film but found myself completely moved by the deep message behind this movie. A message of intergrety and self belief. Of seeking the truth even when everyone is against you and in your darkest hour. If you don't want your children to have their own opinions or have an open mind or question religion - this movie is not for you. If you are comfortable having in-depth open dialog about life with strong minded independent children like mine then you ROCK and you will love this movie as much as I did. My kids loved it too!!!

Adult Written bySpoopy2510 October 21, 2018

Nothing special, but fun and surprisingly kind of interesting...

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS! One thing to keep in mind is that Smallfoot is not the most original or mindblowing movie, but that really doesn't mean it's bad: First, it's fun enough for kids. It has a fun, expressive animation that even manages to look quite pretty at times, catchy songs, funny enough jokes and likable characters. It's pretty standard as far as animated family movies go, but hey, there's nothing wrong with that. However, there are some things that make it pretty unique. I just hope the parents can get past the poop/fart jokes, few lamer jokes and the cringy as heck Under Pressure part... Now for the more spoiler-y part... First off, I really liked the kind of "white-and-gray" morality this movie had. What do I mean by that? This movie has NO ACTUAL VILLAIN and everything bad in the movie is caused thanks to genuine misunderstanding, fear and desire to remain safe and keep others safe as well (both on the side of humans and yetis), not out of malice. And this is thanks to a small, but important decision to keep a language barrier between the humans and the yetis. The humans did attack and kill yetis in the past, but that's only because they see them as big, hulking monsters that could potentionally kill them as well. The closest this movie has to an antagonist is a yeti who distrusts humans because of this and wants to keep the village safe, so he tells them that humans do not exist. And he changes his ways at the end. I think it's really interesting to have a kid's movie that doesn't really have a villain - someone you are supposed to hate and completely disagree with. Just a bunch of scared, confused characters. If a character makes an action you can see as "bad", you can still understand where they are coming from. I see that quite a few people think that this movie is anti-religion, but I honestly don't see it like that. I think it's just supposed to teach kids that they cannot always trust what other people tell them and that they should always remind open-minded and curious about the outside world, because if you aren't, you will just remain sheltered and judge others. Also, I know it can be seen as anti-authority as well and I guess that is kind of true, but the thing is, the movie potrays the "authority" as an actual person who has genuinely valid points - they may not be RIGHT, but they are valid and you can symphatize with them. They act the way they do because they want to protect you, not out of selfishness or anything. I also like how the ending is very uplifting and optimistic, but at the same time, you don't know for 100% if absolutely everything is going to be okay... All in all, I think this movie teaches kids about values of curiousity, open-mindedness, searching for the truth, understanding the opinions and views of others while standing up to your own, integrity and shows why lying, prejudice (through not to the same extent as, say, Zootopia) and living in constant fear are bad in a fairly interesting manner while still being fun and simple for kids to understand. Again, nothing amazing or mindblowing, but I still reccommend it for families who want a nice, fun, feel-good movie with a great message and I guess some scary moments... (Note: I am not from an English-speaking country and only watched this movie in a foreign dub, so I can't comment much on the language...)

Adult Written byNaveenG October 6, 2018

It's entertaining!

Review of Smallfoot While we were growing we’ve seen so many fictional movies which revolve around aliens and superheroes. All these movies were based on our perception about foreign objects. This movie is about how Yetis look at humans. It’s about how they, out of the fear of humans, create their own world at the top of the mountains where they knew humans couldn’t come because they couldn’t survive there. It is a fiction but has got a lot of realistic day to day things to teach us. First thing that it teaches us elders is about the responsibility towards our families. The Stonekeeper, who is also the leader of the clan, has been able to protect the village from humans for many years. Not only that, he has also been able to create such a mechanism that the village is completely cut-off from humans. Firstly, he made the villagers believe that their mountain was placed on a floating cloud. He also made them create the clouds through steam which they never knew they did. All they knew was that they were feeding the elephants holding the clouds. He made them believe in many such superstitions just to keep them away from danger. His only motive was to be ‘better safe than sorry’. Percy, the human teaches us about integrity. Initially, he was tempted to create fake news about the Yetis with the help of his co-worker Brenda but later when he experienced the truth about them, he stood for them. He could’ve used all the media that he had on his phone to become rich, but he chose to delete them making people believe that the whole ‘Yeti’ thing was a hoax. He also teaches us about taking a stand for our friends. Migo teaches us that the stones (our perceptions and assumptions) are not always right. We always need to dig deeper and find the truth even when it doesn’t look true and a lie is sometimes so evidently true. When the Stonekeeper showed him the visuals of how humans harmed Yetis in the past, it was quite evident to Migo because his first encounter with a human (Percy) too was not too friendly. However, he forced himself not to believe what he saw and continued pursuing the truth. Meechee, Kolka and Gwangi teach us about teamwork and confidentiality. The most important lesson that I personally learnt is from Fleem, the pessimist. The best part is when he is counting the pros and cons before jumping off the cliff when the rest of his friends have already jumped. I hadn’t realized this until I watched it in the movie how important it is to take some major decisions thoughtfully. I personally have made many mistakes in taking hasty decisions. Smallfoot is not just for kids. It has a much deeper meaning and learning even for adults. It teaches us integrity, responsibility, the passion of finding the truth and taking a stand for our friends.

Adult Written byStenekens September 29, 2018

A kids movie I actually enjoyed.

And, thinking there isn’t anything really negative about it. Thought it was going down that “ humans are horrible” road like Avatar but ultimately it didn’t end up that way. I really enjoyed it and the music was an added bonus.

Adult Written byFrazer Scott October 26, 2018

I went with my kids and they loved it bar the 3 year old who said she was bored and it was sometimes scary. It was funny even for me, my 8 year old said one of the best films ever.