All parent member reviews for Somewhere

Adult Written byscout661 January 31, 2011

Pensive, Delightful movie for interested, mature teens

I loved this movie. I saw it on new years. I had waited SO LONG to see it (sofia coppola being my favorite director) and I was blown away. This movie, about a movie star and his relationship with his daughter is pensive, cool, and beautiful. It might be boring for some teenage viewers though! The only concerns are bare breasts, implied sexual actions, and corse language. I felt that, as a 13 year old (at the time) It was nothing I haven't seen before. I THOROUGHLY recommend it!
Adult Written bykhan2705 December 22, 2010

outstanding film making, slow paced but excellent.

3.5/5 SOMEWHERE is a witty, moving, and empathetic look into the orbit of actor Johnny Marco (played by Stephen Dorff) who is living at the legendary Chateau Marmont hotel in Hollywood. He has a Ferrari to drive around in, and a constant stream of girls and pills to stay in with. Comfortably numbed, Johnny drifts along. Then, his 11-year-old daughter Cleo (Elle Fanning) from his failed marriage arrives unexpectedly at the Chateau. Their encounters encourage Johnny to face up to where he is in life and confront the question that we all must: which path in life will you take? well this was the movie i was looking forward to, i mean after watching the trailer with the soothing music and getting the idea of a different take on the plot i wanted to watch it. its a Coppola movie, but the thing that really kind of made me wait for it was the surprise and out of nowhere winning of Golden Lion for Best Picture at the Venice International Film Festival. this movie is for sure one of the best Indie Offbeat movies this year. if not one of the very best movies of the year but for sure a good movie. this movie is extremely slow paced and boring but that is the beauty of it, i seriously never felt tiring or getting bored, which is strange but true. i loved this movie exactly the way it is. after my personal favorite Lost In Translation she did it again. its an awsome movie. perfectly Directed by Sofia Coppola with great perfection, she uses long shots without pauses, very long shots with not much happening which gives this movie a very realistic and near to life feel. you exactly get this feeling of seeing the life of this actor exactly the way it is, Coppola gives exactly what she sees, perfect, she actually pushes the boundaries as a director. editing and screenplay was good. their isn't much talking in the movie, not much to show but whatever you see speaks louder and clear than it would have with actual talking, which is odd but in a strange way perfect for it. it features very nice and good performances by Stephen Dorff and the cute Elle Fanning, good performances. the story is really good, a very different and deeper view at the Hollywood life, she kind of makes us see the Microscopic picture of it. very simple but yet big and deep. a very good movie and a good take, i loved it and i am sure you will too. a very moving movie.