Kid reviews for Sonic the Hedgehog

Carrey lights up video game movie; peril, some drinking.

Kid, 11 years old February 16, 2020

Cute movie but some content is not for kids

This movie was really cute and Jim Carrey was hilarious especially in his dance scene. However, there were a few things in the movie that seemed inappropriate for kids.

In one scene, Tom’s girlfriend says that Sonic and Tom look like a couple (in a romantic way). I think it’s a little weird that they had to add that in.

There is a bit of cussing in the movie, they say “h**l” and nearly say “son of a-“ and “what the-“ (sounded like they were going to use the f-word).

The bar scene is shocking, Tom drinks a lot of beer (and drives soon after) and also he makes a comment about drug dealers.

For the younger kids, there is a lot of violence that they may get scared by (in one scene, Sonic looks/is dead) so kids under the age of 5 might be a little scared.

Overall this movie is really good but there are a few things in here that preteens like myself will pick up on and younger kids might be scared by the violence. Depending on your kids, this movie may or may not be good for your family.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoel_5762 February 14, 2020

Sonic the Hedgehog | Film Review

Sonic the Hedgehog is an extremely fun, comedic adventure ride that will leave all audiences (Sonic lovers or not) with a huge smile on their face and an enjoyable time at the cinema.

Ben Schwartz does such an amazing job portraying Sonic. I genuinely loved every moment with him on screen and his portrayal is exactly as I would want Sonic to be portrayed. Furthermore, Sonic's friendship with Tom is so sweet and shows great messages of friendship, helping others and protecting those you love. That leads me to say that Sonic and Tom are great role models in the film.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 'road trip' aspect of this film because it allowed for character growth, bonding and even plenty of humour. It was a perfect balance of action/adventure and comedy. Furthermore, Jim Carrey's performance as Dr Robotnik was pure excellence. He absolutely nails the role and you can tell even he loved working on this film. His portrayal is wacky, bonkers and yet threatening all in one. His performance is definitely a standout.

There is a small thing I didn't like however. Near the start, there were some scenes close to the beginning with Tom and his wife Maddie that were nice but ultimately a little lacking in terms of the rest of the movie. It was during those scene were I felt myself losing interest slightly.

In conclusion, Sonic the Hedgehog is super fun to watch and will without a doubt leave you smiling upon leaving the cinema. If you're looking for a fun adventure film to enjoy with your family then this is a superb choice. A great film!

Teen, 13 years old Written byJoe Schmoe February 17, 2020

Sonic

Not bad. The flossing was obnoxious, and I felt like screaming after the tenth time they mentioned Olive Garden, but overall this is a great flick. Jim Carrey was hilarious and was perfect for his role, and the redesign of sonic was totally worth it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byTheGoldenTrio7 February 16, 2020

GOTTA GO FAST!

I loved it! If you like Sonic, action, humor, or Jim Carrey, you'll love this movie! It was very very funny! It is an action film, so there's a bit of violence (including a bar fight). There's some consumerism but I enjoyed it, as it added to the jokes. Sonic looked great, I am so glad the producers listened to the fans and changed Sonic to be a little closer to his game form. He's sooo adorable, and filled with jokes too! Also, he's a determined little hedgehog. Dr. Robotnik ( Jim Carrey :D) was hilarious, best part of the movie! His technological know-how is pretty good, but his dancing skills are even better! Ugh! I'm trying not to spoil the movie! You should go see it!

Teen, 16 years old Written byJordant22 February 15, 2020

Sonic: Here is why I personally brought it down to 3 stars

This is a great family movie and has been set up to become a sequel movie with the end credits scene when a certain character is shown. But, the reason why I give this movie a 3 star rating is because the directors tried to hard to make this a kids movie. Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) plays a perfect part in the movie but when I saw sonic flossing without context 3 times in the movie, it bothered me a lot. That dance has been a cringe statement for 2 years now and now that a blue hedgehog is doing it without context Is just stupid. Along with this, I have never had a movie force an advertisement down my throat like this. When Tom the cop (James Marsden)is given a surprise visit by a representative of the United States government I thought he was going to be arrested after being hunted down by the FBI because of Dr. Robotnik, but No...... instead he gives him an Olive Garden gift card and he starts talking about how good it is and says you try it some time, I hear they now have endless pasta, it’s endless. Tom then proceeds to finish the conversation and goes onto to say I can’t wait to try the new pasta at Olive Garden. This is not to mention the fact that previously Tom says in the beginning of the movie, the only apps I have on my phone are the ones that it came with and the Olive Garden app while saying to his girlfriend or wife (I’m not sure) when your there, it’s family. Like holy crap I’m just trying to watch the sonic movie, not have a dying Italian fast food chain AD put in my face. Overall I give it 3 stars because of the cringe and AD pushing.

Kid, 12 years old February 14, 2020

Sonic was a blast - great movie

I went to the movie with my Mom and Uncle and I had a root beer and my mom had popcorn. We loved the movie - I liked how it showed Sonic when he was a baby and then as he grew up. I also thought Jim Carrey did a good job playing Dr Eggman. It was cool to see Sonics power and don't leave the movie until the very end because there is a surprise at the very end AFTER the credits
Kid, 10 years old February 24, 2020

Really good movie!

The movie a Sonic the Hedgehog was a great movie! The characters are have some rude behavior but no one cares. They had some drug references like Donut Lords and the reference to that are Drug Lords. I watched this movie at late night and I didn’t fall asleep because the movie was very interesting. They had some violence at the end where Sonic fought the bad guy but it wasn’t that bad. During this battle they said words such as hell but that’s not really swearing so I won’t put that down. I highly recommend watching this with your kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byknightmare February 24, 2020

WORST MOVIE EVER

best movie I have ever seen

Kid, 12 years old February 23, 2020

Meh. It was pretty good.

This movie is fun in other words. Lots of fantasy violence but no blood and gore of course. There some explosive violence and that includes: characters getting injured, guns and shooting, fist fights, bruises. Yeah pretty violence but talk to your kid first and tell them if they can handle it. But overall still family friendly. With language it’s just funny insults like “trash panda” or “fish racket” but there is one use of the word “hell” and words like “son of a b*tch” and “sh*t” are almost said but interrupted. Some drinking, a whole scene takes place in a bar. Adults drinking whiskey and beer is throughout the scene. There are no drugs in the film but in one scene there is a joke about drug dealing but nothing else is said. Some jokes and potty humor is involved just like in other kids films nowadays but in conclusion sonic the hedgehog is fun movie for kids and fans of sonic. 9/10

Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2020

The Best Video-Game Movie Yet? — Sonic The Hedgehog | Movie Review

Sonic the Hedgehog is a fun and comedic adventure that anyone can enjoy watching. It truly exceeded the expectations I had. Hardcore fan or not, this movie undoubtedly enjoyable. Could it be the best video-game movie of all time?

Sonic is exactly as I wanted him to be in this movie. He’s cocky, flamboyant and engaging. But at the same time is caring, friendly and funny. His portrayal in the movie was great. Tom is Sonic’s partner throughout the journey and he soon creates a closer and stronger bond with him as the story progresses. Their relationship is a very great one, that delivers very good messages about family and friendship. Jim Carrey’s performance of Dr. Robotnik / Eggman really was the cherry on top. There is no doubt that he absolutely nailed this role, having his performance be wacky and funny, yet engaging. It’s what kept me going if I briefly got bored for a moment. Also, the CGI I thought was top-notch. Sonic, Robotnik’s drones, they all looked really really great.

One of the things that I liked the most about this movie was the road trip aspect. I liked it because it led to character development, and it gave us a deeper look into how these characters really are and how they each interact with one another. It really was a nice and charming addition.

The one thing that I didn’t like however, were some of the choices made for the characters in the first act of the movie. I didn’t like some of the various choices made for these characters in the beginning of the movie. I had to get used to it until the second act began, and where things got great.

In conclusion Sonic the Hedgehog is undoubtedly enjoyable to watch and you will not regret watching this movie. Like I mentioned before, Sonic fan or not, this is a movie that will not disappoint.

I give Sonic The Hedgehog a B+

Kid, 10 years old February 22, 2020

Stunning Movie!

This Film Is Really Good It Has Lots Of Funny Jokes, Action And More!.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzevion February 22, 2020

I'm so glad that they redesigned Sonic.

Parents need to know that this movie can actually get pretty violent and dark at times.
There is a bar fight scene in the movie that I didn't expect, and the final action scene is very flashy.
Also, there is language in this film(I love what the donut lord sald near the end of the film.), but otherwise, it's fine for older kids.

Kid, 11 years old February 22, 2020

a bit sad at the beginning

Sonic is a very good film. But I think that its better for children of ages 6 and under to not see this film because they will not understand it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGojiWilliams February 20, 2020

Great but CSM missed a few stuff

What parents need to know is sonic the hedgehog is to violent for a PG, and some characters die, for example in the opening sequence we see some cars (with people inside) explode and we see Sonics mom get shoot with an arrow (we see some blood but nothing graphic). There is a part where sonic and donut lord(Tom is his real name) go to a bar and we see beer but no one gets drunk, when the girl sees sonic, she comments: “no kids allowed”. So this movie should have been PG-13

Teen, 14 years old Written byTeen Machine February 20, 2020

Very innapropriate

Teen, 15 years old Written byWiggles04 February 19, 2020

Funny Movie

This movie was amazing! My brother and I really enjoyed it. It was hilarious. We laughed multiple times throughout the movie. I would definitely recommend seeing this. It's mainly a family-friendly movie, but there are a couple of bad words in it, but nothing too extreme. They did a great job on the characters and grahics. The animation was very good. The music and action were good too. Definitely go see this movie.
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2020

Great for Families

It is your standard kids movie 2 uses of hell but that’s about it

Kid, 11 years old February 18, 2020

Don't listen to the other kids reviews that say this is 10+

This movie along with Jumanji from this year, are the models for PG movies. There is no violence that is over the top or even close to it, yet it's not like there isn't any, swearing is absent if you don't include hell or anything close to saying a "Bad Word". If your kid(s) are 7 years old and can't handle or aren't mature enough to watch this movie. I don't really know what to say.

Teen, 16 years old Written byfunionsRcool February 18, 2020

Better Than Expected

As i went last year to see the Detective Pikachu movie, i thought the movie was going to be great considering they took and made a movie from video game. Then movie ended up being OK, but below the expectations. Going into this movie, i was scared they were going to turn my childhood blue hedgehog friend into another cringe disappointment of a movie. This Movie blew me away as it truly taught how friends change your life and how one of sonic has some friends of his own (End Credits) before coming to earth to experience true loneliness. I believe that Jim carry was in fact the best option for the sociopath scientist (Dr. Robtnik/Eggman). Overall, Sonic is a great family friendly movie. The movie really brought me back to when i use to play sonic. One thing i would change is the crap 50$ olive garden gift card tom receives at the end of the movie.

Teen, 16 years old Written byfunionsRcool February 18, 2020