Parent reviews for Sorry to Bother You

Sorry to Bother You Poster Image

Takes a wicked turn...

This film starts off ah-mazing! Boots Riley knows what’s up. Talking white? Brilliant, poignant and funny. Then halfway through the film takes a wicked turn...and then it..I don’t even know...it was just...wow...unexpected and creep and sick and just wow...and then the very end...BOOM! Mic drop.

One of the most important of the decade - weird but great messages.

This satire is like nothing you've ever seen. It's very clever, weird, and extremely entertaining. One of the most important movies of the decade with good moral lessons re our current society. (recognizing class struggles, empathy, dangers of group think, apathy) It's a hybrid of genres. Don't look up much about the plot especially the ending. There are mature themes and lots of swearing but most of it isn't anything most teens haven't seen elsewhere. 13 and up for cool kids. 15/16 and up for kids who are sheltered.

Stranger Than You Think

The fact that consumerism isn't flagged in the overall review rating is wild to me. "Getting ahead," gaining money, and living "the good life" at the expense of one's morals is a driving thesis for this film. It is violent, sexual, full of profanity, and absolutely surreal in a way that cannot be described but has to be experienced. Could definitely raise some interesting questions about the sometimes literal cost of living by one's morals, the pervasiveness of white privilege, capitalism's failure as a system for meeting basic human needs, and many other things that I won't spoil. I wouldn't want to show it to kids who weren't familiar with those concepts, and I strongly suggest previewing this before they see it. Suitability is going to depend strongly on how mature your child is, but definitely not for anyone under 16.

Don't bother watching!

Somewhat a weird movie, I only watched it based on the 4 star rating and it definitely does not deserve that. 2 stars is probably a good rating for this movie. Story is weird - if there is such a thing as a storyor plot. Has disturbing images, there is quite a few graphic sex scenes - if thats a risk factor for your family take that into consideration. It is classified as a science fiction movie and I fail to see where that comes in. Overall just weird and disturbing so don't bother!

Very creepy

This movie was weird and creepy. I wish I hadn’t watched it as I keep having really disturbing flashbacks. I am 50. This movie would have totally freaked out my daughter, who is 14, and unless you are an adult totally into dark satire, I would avoid this movie. I can’t imagine that this could be beneficial to a child or teenager in any way.

Kinda boring

It's kinda boring but hilarious to see if you are a young teen.

Sorry to Bother You

Sorry to Bother You is one of the most original comedies I've seen. But despite it's message on the telemarketing business, it's not for kids. There are two graphic sex scenes - one when Cassius tries to contact someone, only to find them having sex, the other when three couples are having sex at the same time at a party. All four couples in these two scenes are naked. There is also breast and male genital nudity. There are over 170 uses of the f-word, a use of the c-word, usage of the n-word (mostly in a comedic rap, paired with the s-word), and usage of milder profanity. Characters also smoke weed and snort cocaine, and characters are injured in riots with some bloody detail.

Completely original, bizarre & entertaining comedy

Sorry to Bother You is more than just unique, it is unlike anything I have ever seen. While it is a comedy, it has a lot of things going on and elements that can even get disturbing. The story is brilliant, but I felt there were a few too many ideas that weren't wrapped up. The acting is great, and overall the film is great. There is some graphic sexuality on screen, as well as graphic nudity. There is some violence, though typically not graphic. Some of the material is more disturbing. There is also lots of strong language and some pot smoking. I highly recommend the movie, but be prepared for it to be extremely different.