Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Space Chimps

Silly space adventure has peril, some scares.

Parent of a 1 year old Written bylshweky July 30, 2009
Way too frenetic, too loud, too much action and craziness for young kids. Characters are often rude, obnoxious. And finally, most of it is way over the heads of 5-7 year olds.

Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bybaxcat May 11, 2009

Too Scary for Preschoolers

The movie had a lot of scary looking alien monsters with big teeth that gave my 4 year old night mares. My 7 year old daughter enjoyed the movie & thought it was pretty funny.

Adult Written bymikeyonker April 9, 2008

Bad movie for adults, not so good for kids

I think this was just bad, but I also think it should have been PG based on the scary scene in the cave. Don't see it, though, and then you don't have to worry.
Adult Written bycsmmom April 9, 2008

ok but son found it unfunny and too scary

This movie and CSM's review of it were both disappointing to me. First, most of the jokes (references to evolving, opposable thumbs, David Bowie) were adult-oriented and there weren't enough little kid jokes to compensate. Second, my not-quite 5-year-old son who didn't even bat an eye watching Star Wars: A New Hope or The Goonies at home was TERRIFIED! He told me halfway through that it wasn't funny, he was scared, and he wanted to go home. My son does not scare easily, but I had to hold him in my lap for the last 30 minutes and talk him through it. He was very scared of the evil alien. Since this was only his third theater trip (the other two being Cars and WAL-E), I can only guess that scary scenes on the big screen were too much for him. It’s probably fine for most kids but if your child is young and sensitive or has little exposure to the big screen, you might wait until it’s on video.
Adult Written bymamaali April 9, 2008

Not appropriate for 4+

I think this movie is too violent for young children aged 4 to 7. Many scary scenes of monsters eating characters, etc. that frightened my 5 year old daughter. Had to leave the movie half way through. I was dissapointed with the rating this website gave this movie. Normally they are dead on the money.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byGhirahim January 20, 2019

It’s... kind of garbage!

Why... Out of all the movies that “Another Postcard” by BNL could have been featured in... Why did it have to be this?
I found out about this movie through that song, and I have to say, this movie is very underwhelming. Don’t waste your time. The only reason I could think of to watch this is if you’re a really, REALLY hardcore Barenaked Ladies fan, or if you just want to make fun of it with friends. As for children, this has no value to them at all. Don’t rot their brains.
Adult Written byDanielle W. July 16, 2017

Banger

Was an epic film fam... was loads off cray tings going on.. there was monkey from space, people getting zapped some weird blue guy with a wii remote on a space Hoover thing. All in all it was epic they threw some mad shapes dropping it like it was hot.. pure carnage it was highly recommended.. fab stuff

Adult Written byChad P. May 3, 2017

Not worth a watch

Skip it there are better space movies out there
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bysqueakyg August 23, 2014

Scary for 4 year old

Based on the common sense media review, we let my 4 year old watch this with a baby sitter. Her comment afterwards: "They were tricking us that it's not scary for 4 year olds". I watched it and found: Chimps in constant peril when equipment fails, the alien repeatedly almost freezes them (and actually does freeze a butterfly and a small alien), flowers turn into giant snakes with teeth, the chimps get chased by flying creatures that shoot spikes like arrows, and a monster in a cave with huge teeth chases and actually does eat a childlike creature they have befriended (no, it doesn't help that much later in the movie we find out she survived because 'he's not big on chewing'.) Then at the end, Luna seems dead, and it takes a few moments for us to find out she is not. It's an ok movie for school age kids, but anyone who thinks this is good for preschoolers probably also lets them watch cartoon network, so their kids already have a blunted response to fear and violence. The other disappointing factor that got me to give it a 2? That thing where kids movies are made by people who don't know diddly about kids and all the jokes are aimed at the parents
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Space Craps is more like it.

Oh my gosh the graphics were horrible! So was the animation! Also CSM,HOW DID THIS GARBAGE GET 3 STARS?! NO! NOT 3 STARS! GIVE SPACE CHAMPS ANYTHING BUT 5,4, OR 3 STARS! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 18, 2012

Really, Common Sense? 3 stars?!

I'm sorry, but this movie is absolutely horrible. The computer graphics stink, the jokes are not funny, and the story is stupid. I know that it is a kids movie, and there are some positive messages, but the whole movie is a complete waste of time! WORST FAMILY MOVIE EVER!

Parent Written byanijoni September 5, 2010

Parent of a 5 year old Written bylovekind June 14, 2010

good for 6+

This movie was actually not bad I like monkeys so it was a bit of a shock.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjj2 March 22, 2010

Perfect for 4 years and beyond.

it's a big surprise for me as the monkeys were very funny!.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byHighPlainsMom August 11, 2009

There's Better Stuff Out There

If you're just desperate for something for family movie night and your kids are easily entertained, then this might fit the bill. My husband and I found it annoying and/or boring for the most part. Very young children might find the alien frightening. Many of the jokes make pop culture references that only adults will get...which seems odd for something aimed at children. No red-flags but nothing extraordinary. My 9-year-old son enjoyed it but the 12-year-old and adults were pretty bored.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bybeth721 June 12, 2009

Adult Written byDramamama April 9, 2008

Better than expected

Space Chips was fun and exciting. It was no Wall-E but a very good movie. Excellent for children 5-8, but some parts could be scary for 4 and younger. Some good humor for the adults too.
Adult Written bySotaria April 9, 2008

Great Story, Mediocre Execution

The idea was great but the script was weak and the directing more so. What bothered me the most was the fact that "G rated" apparently no longer means appropriate for all ages. There were numerous adult jokes in the movie including the old "is that a banana in your pocket." Please DO NOT think that children do not understand these jokes. They have been exposed to this stuff since childhood (thanks to movies like this) and someone WILL explain it to them if they don't know already. Otherwise, this is not bad, but wait for DVD.