All parent member reviews for Speed Racer

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byTraciCortez November 10, 2008

I am upset as to why there needs to be cussing through language and hand gesters

I am appalled at how they think there needs to be crude language in a movie made for kids!!! Every kid is wanting to see this movie and we cant let them watch it with out me right there with the clicker ready to mute or fast forward. The movie would have been just as successful without the little boy in the movie using his middle finger towards the bad guys as they zoom by. It wasn't necessary! So disappointing.
Adult Written byfabmomof4 April 9, 2008

Should of had a PG-13 rating!

I took my kids to see this movie and was upset with the swearing! In the movie a the 10 year old, flipped off an adult! When my 11 yr. old looked at me as said, "do you think they needed to put that in the movie?", I knew he had more sense the people who wrote the script!
Adult Written bynduns January 14, 2011

After seeing this, I have a question...

No, it's not directed toward the director. No, this is directed to the anime fans and people who grew up with the show. I seriously have to question your way of thinking. It makes sense that you'd get PO'd when an adaptation of a cartoon isn't true to its source, but when it's 100% true to its source, like this movie is, and you still whine like little brats, I have to question your intelligence. Do you people even KNOW WHAT YOU WANT!!!!?? Seriously, not only is this 100% true to its source, it actually made the characters more interesting. Mom Racer actually DOES something in this movie! I'm starting to think anime fans see this and all other American adapations of anime the same way they look at English dubs (Including the good ones): they only hate it because it's American, not because it's actually bad. I wouldn't be surprised if half the people trashing this film didn't even see it and are basing their views off of mere assumption alone. As a movie in itself, it's not the best thing you'll ever see. The story has only a little more depth than a typical episode of the show, and I do like that. I like how unlike the show, it's not just characters racing for the sake of racing. There's actually a greater purpose behind it. Oh, and let us not forget how they snuck snippets from the original Japanese version of the opening into the end credits! I didn't think American anime adapations could do that. Still, while not a great film, it still receives major points for being the only anime adaptation that's 100% correct to its source.
Adult Written byzellder April 9, 2008
Adult Written byJEDI micah October 30, 2012

Nice special effects, but boring and confusing.

The only thing that impresses me about this movie is the special effects. It was pretty cool. But the story and plot confused me. It even bored me! I couldn't keep track of what's going on or who is doing what to who! Maybe I should watch it again (like that'll ever happen)! Also, one thing that surprised me was a kid in the movie put up both of his middle fingers to an adult! It's true! I saw that, and I thought that this movie should be rated PG-13. I think this movie is a waste of time. Unless if you're a fanatic about the old cartoon, then I guess this is your type of movie.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

This is what i'm talking about!

Great movie.Nice acting,great racing scenes,cool cars,ect.Whats not to like?! Go rent this movie ASAP!
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen April 27, 2012

Speed Racer was so awesome!

I like this movie when I was 17 for 4 years ago.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 12, 2010
almost PG-13 level
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 27, 2009

not a great movie

not a great movie.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bybobsax August 6, 2009

I liked it

by bobsax's daughter I think it was good for boys or tomboys, I mean not a girly movie. My dad almost didn't let me watch it because of the bad finger gesture, I didn't even see it.
Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written bydochnwillow May 28, 2009

Not an Under 10 movie

We went to see Speed Racer because I had loved the OLD cartoons & my boys love the New Generation Cartoon. Well were we surprised and not in a good way. My youngest, who is 9 was VERY upset by the whole fight scene with the piranha tank. It was SO bad in fact that he asked my husband to take him out of the movie. (They did not return until the credits ran) My oldest who is 101/2 watched it and was less upset by the violence,(but was clearly shocked by some of the heavier fight scenes, but more the fact that the movie wasn't really like the cartoons he was enjoying. Sadly, ever since they saw the MOVIE neither has taken an interest in the cartoons anymore. Talk about how a child view of something can be changed SO quickly?
Adult Written byjamestown4 May 17, 2009

Are you kidding me???

I took my 8 yr old daughter and 10 yr old son and walked out after the first 15 minutes of this lame movie. I also got my money back after complaining to the manager. I am not an overprotective mom, but raised my kids for the first part of their lives in Europe. Upon returning to the states I was appalled by the amount of violence that is allowed on TV and in movies and adverts. The was so ridiculously violent for no apparent reason, was the original this violent??? I don't think so!!! To my amazement, the other people in the theater stayed and watched this crap! Even after hearing the kids behind us complain. As parents, we need to really take charge of what we want for our kids. To allow society dictate that for us by accepting the garbage out there is not good enough!!! Shame on all who took part in making this movie...and making money off of it at all costs! ...and we wonder why there are school shootings in the US?
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 10, 2009

Worst from ages 8-800

The worst movie ever made.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bycasadecastro April 9, 2008
Adult Written bypipstella April 9, 2008
Adult Written byyo dude April 9, 2008

Violent but cool

the plot was confusing because it kept on switching from son to father but it was cool.
Adult Written byjonathankraut April 9, 2008

Psychedelic Mess!

The movie is too flashy and colorful. The action is too fast, barely visible, and the editing often cuts away from the action. Many scenes of death and destruction of people and the cars they are driving. Also, ninjas trying to kill drivers with poison. Portrays corporations and the people who run them as inherently evil. Makes it OK to cheat in a race so long as you don't use a grab hook? Ridiculous premise and plot.
Adult Written bywndy April 9, 2008
Because of all the hype I took my 6 year old along with my 11 and 12 year old to see the movie. My husband left within the first 15 minutes with my six year old because of the graphic and implied violence. Although this didn't continue throughout the entire movie it was just a little too much visual for a little one. The other kids and I really enjoyed the movie and would definitely recommend it to older children.
Adult Written byloohoo April 9, 2008
Adult Written byldp April 9, 2008

Good enough

The story line is difficult to follow. It took even my husband and me 1/2 the movie to figure out exactly what was going on. My 9 y.o. kept whispering, "I don't understand what's going on." That said, both my 6 and 9 y.o. sat through the whole movie, which says a lot since it's over 2 hours long. It's a "big screen" movie and will probably lose some of it's appeal if you wait and rent it. The race scenes are fun and action-packed and the cartoon style is interesting. If the story line had been a little less dialogue-heavy and the movie a little bit shorter, it would have been perfect! All in all, a worthwhile family outing.