All parent member reviews for Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

Give this one a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one of my favorite movies. It has great songs and Spirit is a great role modle for beliving in yourself and willing to take a stand for freedom. Yes some points are very sad but it gets you thinking what if....
Parent of a 6 year old Written byroweena December 29, 2009

VERY VIOLENT!!! NOT suitable for SENSITIVE Children...

i think this movie is far too negative and violent for any child under the age of 8. to be honest - i would have preferred my child to never see this! i really feel that the 3 minutes at the end where the horse escapes and finds freedom does not make all the negative and scary parts worth enduring... a very traumatic film full of animal cruelty, fighting and fire! i fast forwarded many of the really violent scenes but to see people mistreating horses that way and no positive message at all... my daughter cried so many times... this is the first time ive seen her sob uncontrollably in a movie! my husband left cause he just couldnt bare it - he said it was a horrid movie! if you have a sensitive child - dont go there - its just not worth it. if you want to see a horse movie consider dreamer or flicker.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymweissinger July 25, 2009

sensitive -emotional kids beware

My 6 year old is sensitive and cried multiple times watching this movie. If you have a sensitive child just beware that this movie has parts that are sad when the horse is separated from loved ones etc. that can lead sensitive children to tears.
Adult Written byTheShaman April 9, 2008

Spirit was very enjoyable

Im a big fan of the Disney Animation Full length films. As the general review stated there is some violence and some abuse tward Spirit.... but the film is very enjoyable for adults, lots of adult themed humor that goes right over the kids heads. The kids can enjoy this film as well, lots of action, some fun scenes. In no way was i ever bored nor did i even look up at the clock to see how much time was left in the film. I have a 2 yr old that watched the entire movie with mommy and daddy, and the entire time she just squeeled "horsey's"!! It was very cute. A must see for the whole family.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bynichaloush April 19, 2015

such a true tale

its such a good movie tells a lot about life it teaches things other movies over look or choose to ignore, the white man has become to powerful
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byjklickman1 May 1, 2013

Will bring a smile to your child's face

My almost four year old and I just finished watching this movie. He stayed attentive to the movie and didn't get bored. I was worried about it being too scary because of the reviews but he had no trouble with the few minor parts that people may have had an issue with. He finished the movie smiling and jumping up and down.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Really good!

I'm a huge animation fan,but the animation in this film is GREAT! So is the music and the story.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byHalHorvath July 24, 2012

One of the Best

This is a really great movie, and less violent than Wall-E (which has a more frightening violence -- since a hero character is violent for no obvious reason) -- here the violence is mostly the US calvary trying to "break" our hero horse (tame him and force him). If you explain how they are trying to "force the horse to let them ride it instead of making friends with it" it goes a long way to removing any scaryness -- 4 yr olds have already experienced that they are sometimes required to do something they don't want to. But here is where this Movie (with a capital M) excels: the native who *befriends* the horse wins its love, respect and friendship. This is a great movie, one that can be watched by any age over 4 (5 and up) and won't disappoint. Your spirit will be lifted.
Adult Written byDissy July 8, 2012

Beautiful to say the least

This is a beautiful tale with stunning animation placed together with (while many) amazing songs from Bryan Adams. In fact i loved the soundtrack for this film so much i eventually had to hunt down and by the official soundtrack on disc. As mentioned in the review none of the horses talk (making the story alot more realistic than other animated animal films) however it reminded me a little of Pingu in a way... (They don't say a word however you somehow know exactly what they are saying) After going through the never ending captures Spirit goes through it's quite a relief to finally see him back where he belongs, even with a new companion in tow.
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 4, 2012

Spirit: Stallion of a GREAT MOVIE!!!

I love animated movies, and this is a great one! The animation, music, and story are all great! This movie may mostly attract fans of U.S. history! There is violence, mostly gunshots, and one horse does get shot! Even though this movie is rated G, I suggest that because of some of the violence, it is ok for kids ages 6 and up. This is a great movie for the whole family!
Parent Written bylisamarie1011 October 23, 2011

The best animated movie ever!

My daughter is very sensitive to anything scary in movies but she absolutely loves this movie and so do I. Everytime she watches it I can't get anything else done, I have to sit and watch too. An amazing movie!
Adult Written byDr.Pepper October 25, 2010

Not for sensitive children

If your child doesn't want to see animals get hurt, you might want to avoid this one. A train chases a horse, gun shots, cougar attack, and a fire. If you get past all of that it is a great movie.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byrachelernst.com August 19, 2009

Not ready at age 5.

I'm watching this as I type and decided I'm not ready for my 5 year old to see it yet. Certainly not my 3 year old, so it can't pass as a family movie for us. There is a lot of peril and violent interaction. It's certainly an adventure, but by percentage of time spent on negative vs. positive action, I just can't endorse this until my kids are older. It's almost non-stop action and I'd like to keep it more calm here. The landscapes are beautiful. We'll check it out later when my kids are ready for more discussion about it. It will raise lots of questions about violence. But it does lack the typical annoying, base, verbal violence and drama of so many other shows.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Adult Written byjubajen April 9, 2008

Adult Written byMomofDevinandOwen April 9, 2008

My daughter's favorite movie!

My 5-year-old daughter loves this movie. It has been her most watched film.