Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Stagecoach

Classic John Wayne Western masterpiece promotes tolerance.

Based on 1 review
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byH2Clark May 16, 2014

We were looking for a Western...

We watched this with my 11 & 9yo boys. The 9 yo repeatedly said he had trouble keeping the characters straight because they were in black and white! - Funny. This film took a little more explaining than I was expecting, but the quality of the story, and discussing prejudices was worth it.

Adult Written byElizabeth Darcy October 19, 2011

Classic John Wayne movie with some more intense parts

Good movie, although the plot is a little complicated and may be hard for younger kids to follow. The violence is a little heftier than the average old Western, but then, it's John Wayne, so that's to be expected. There is really no sexual content aside from oblique references to one of the main character's past life as a prostitute, but they're so subtle that younger kids won't understand. A married woman delivers a baby, but nothing at all is shown. There are plenty of intense, edge-of-your-seat gunfights and high-speed horse chases, but very little blood is shown. One of the main characters is a major alcoholic, and this is at times portrayed as being funny, at other times as being disgraceful. The movie has an overall positive message, although it does portray the Native American Indians in a negative light, showing them as "bad guys" who are always out to get the white settlers. ***Possible Spoiler Alert*** A main character contemplates killing another character so that she won't be captured by Indians, but is shot himself before he can do it.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byboguesa September 6, 2015

Other questions to discuss

The ending scenes- the stunt work with the horses is just incredible. Those stuntmen were incredible. The scenery (Monument Valley, Utah) is so unique. Everyone should visit there at least once! I rated it a "just fine" do to culture concerns I have. To add to discussion questions listed on the main site for "Stagecoach": -Why is "the butcher Geronimo" on the warpath? Why has he "jumped the reservation"? -What do we know about Geronimo from this movies? -What speaking roles do the Apache have? -How could this movie be reshot today to include a more encompassing version of the same story?