Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Stand by Me

Edgy coming-of-age story isn't for young kids.

Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

A great film for mature teenagers only

Sexual Content (Pause): Sexual innuendo. The f-word is used sexually. Violence (Pause): References to violent acts. A dead body is seen. Language (Off): Very strong. Social Behavior (Pause): The boys are close friends, but they are by no means good role models. Some crude humor. Commercialism (Pause): Some commercial references. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Off): Underage smoking and drinking.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byWingedBook June 28, 2011

to watch *with* your kids

My 10 year old son says, "It was very good, but some moments are too intense. There were exciting parts, too" I say: Some movies become "watchable" when you watch them together.

Adult Written byBrigitteandFamily December 10, 2011

Great story for those over 13 with a caution about language.

Heartwarming story of a group of boys learning about life as they journey to find the dead body. The premise is to find the body - but the real story is what happens to the boys along the way. Bad language is plentiful, but fits with the age of the boys and the time/place of the setting.

Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMoviebuff1975 January 9, 2013

Great movie for mid-teens on up!

Only negative in this may be language;however, it is nothing that isn't said nor heard by a middle school student on a daily basis (unless the child is sheltered). Great coming of age movie.
Adult Written byNorodomSihanouk July 27, 2012

Great movie, reminded me of how I was when I was a pre-teen

Loads of bad language and characters who are supposedly 11 or 12 who smoke and on a few occasions make sexual references. Not a lot of violence , just a knife and gun are pulled and they show a dead body.

Adult Written bymoviemadness January 3, 2009

Slow, Not For Kids

Stand By Me is full of heavy emotional issues (a boy's father wishes that he'd died instead of his brother), and some violence (a group sets out to find a dead boy). There is also swearing and bad social behaviour. The plot is a little slow, but older viewers will appreciate this.
Adult Written byganstaboy30 March 8, 2011

good for kids that like story and drama

stand by me has kids smoking a lot of times and foul language coming out of there mouth

Adult Written byLuka Keats 100 March 20, 2016

A Great Film for Teenage Boys and Adult Men!

Overall, this is a great coming of age Film for Teenage Boys and Men. It's not appropriate for young Children but it's fine for ages 12+ and it's best suited for teenage boys and men. When boys become 12 that's the right time they should start to watch this Film. The main characters have a good and powerful friendship in their lives. When audiences first saw this Film they connected to it and they never had friends like the ones they did when they were 12 which is a quote from the Film "I never had friends like the ones when I was 12"

Adult Written bysimpleseth February 7, 2014

Magnificent!

This is "The Sandlot" for big kids. Watch it, if you get the chance, and you won't be disappointed.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byGeorge g. March 30, 2017

great for any age

don't listen to csm theirs no sexual content but there is swearing smoking nothing else. There is one guns but no violence . its a great movie. I let my brother watch it with me when he was 6. but csm say its 14+ but its 7+ i say . no drugs no sex no message don't listen to common sense.

Adult Written byflare33 April 9, 2008

intresting movie for older teens and up

i dont think that ive seen any movie with more cursing then this besides pulp fiction and alpha dog
Adult Written byuslesrcool47 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymyopinionisbest May 23, 2017

Mandatory viewing for boys age 10-12

Stand By Me should be mandatory viewing for all boys age 10-12. Yes there are a lot of inappropriate things in the movie, but here's the thing, parents: your kids know more than you think, and this movie is more or less an accurate depiction of how preteen boys really act. The main characters all have conversations, concerns, and priorities boys would have at that age. This movie is basically a love letter to nostalgia and childhood, and most boys and men are sure to find this movie nostalgic and relatable.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee October 11, 2015

Stand by me Review/Opinion

This is more geared toward mature teenagers. On that note, I noticed quite a bit of strong language and Drug use. If they would of taken out most of the F-word's and only left one, It probably would be PG-13. Otherwise, I would say it is worth checking out. Other than that, I Probably wouldn't recommend this film to younger kids.. ( "Mainly due to it's mature theme..")

Adult Written byDb123456 July 13, 2015

You watch to watch really good

Only language nothing else at all
Adult Written byPeteyA February 10, 2012

strong language--keep your kids away!

language is too strong for kids

Adult Written byOLDSCHOOLFILM August 22, 2009

Look forward to watching it again when my son turns 13

This is a great film. It's a heavy, and not appropriate for the age group it depicts. A great film for kids thirteen and up
Parent Written bySebastien B. October 17, 2016

Great movie

This movie is about kids who find a dead body. The cussing is the worst part really nothing sexual but kids going through puberty and liking girls one kid has a leech in his underwear

Adult Written byTheoDoyp January 21, 2016

Stand by me Review

I really like this film. The characters are likeable and their friendship is a big part of the story. I found this film very entertaining and it was a great adaption from Steven King's novel. There are mature themes and crude language throughout making this film appropriate for teens and up. The whole concept follow these kids looking for a dead body and the things that are disscussed between the characters might be upsetting to some people. Overall a great film that you'll never forget after watching.

Adult Written bylouisr December 6, 2014

Great

Love this film Quite a lot of swearing and drinking and smoking