Kid reviews for Stand by Me

Edgy coming-of-age story isn't for young kids.

My favorite film of all time, period

I have seen over 500 films in my lifetime, and this has been my favorite for 3 years (yes I saw it when I was nine, get over it!) I instantly fell in love with this film, and you will too!!!!! I really can't waste anymore time writing this review, I'm getting ready to watch for the 14th time. So, see this inspirational film about friendship (if you're over 12 of course, the language is pretty harsh.)
Teen, 13 years old Written bySafemancam001 February 13, 2011

Rated R, but okay for teens.

This was an amazing movie. Lots of drama with a touch of comedy mixed in.

Kid, 11 years old February 7, 2011
It is a great movie but has alot of bad words.

Teen, 14 years old Written byT-Rod May 22, 2010

OH . MY . GOD . Pardon my French

There are many things I look forward to as a parent-but don't think I don't cherish my childhood, bc I do!. Like...okay, not many things. But one especially: After tending to and putting up with the young ones for a whole day, and they finally go to bed. I'll turn all the lights off...except that one, dim lamp by my bed. Turn it on, and read, or watch TV,or...I don't know. Just try to imagine how good the peace and quiet will be after the chaos of the previous 17 hours. I mean that just sounds heavenly! But one thing I never thought I'd be happy about was that one stage where your kids can't wait till they grow up and make their own rules. Stay up late, eat ice cream before 8:00 p.m., and watch whatever movies they want to. Ha, ha, ha...the innocence of youth. But when they DO hit that stage, depending on how mature they are and how old they are, I will LOVE to pop this DVD in and watch this all-time classic with them. Stand By Me is based on the short story "The Body" by Stephen King. "The Master of Horror." It has morals of cherishing your childhood, the value of friendship, and the adventures of growing up. But, unfortunately, it is also filled with a certain four letter word(f*ck) and a bunch more. It also shows a mutilated dead body and a gun is fired by youths(nobody is harmed). Other minor negative choices are shown to be negative or go without consequences. But all-in-all it is an amazingly deep(as I say "Morgan Freeman Deep") story about four troubled youths going on an adventure to do one last thing together...as friends...As a team. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byEmily22222 October 7, 2015

By far the best coming of age flim!

This film has a great message about friendship and courage and i highly recommend watching this with your young teen (13-14) Parents need to know though that this kind heated movie has strong language including f*** and sh*t. There are also a few potty mouth swears such as p*ssy and d*ck. This movie is about four 13 year old boys during the 50's who go on an adventure to find a dead body(not as creepy as it sounds). They over come physical and emotional obsticals as well.

Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2012

Heartful, my first R rated movie I've seen (when I was 11).

My Rating: R for language, smoking, and brief violence-all involving preteens and teenagers {Violence-3/5 lots of violent acts and bullying. The main story is about 4 twelve year old boys finding a dead body. The body shows a few cuts on its face with some blood, not horribly graphic though but it may disturb young viewers. Lots of threats between the 4 boys and the gang. A boy has word carved in its skin by a razor-blade, some blood is seen but it's not really a matter of fact violent. Sex-2.5/5 infrequent references (why don't you go home and go f**k your mother some more?) some sex talk between the 4 boys. Sexual innuendo's used. Some brief references. Language-4/5 very strong language, he reason why this movie was mostly given the R rating. The F-bombs is dropped 11 times. Also other profoanity includes s**t, t*ties, fat-a**, one use of c**k-knocker, lard-a**, h**l, g*d*mned, pu*sy, son of a b--ch, and [email protected] Drugs/alchahol/smoking-4/5-Gosh! The 4 boys didn't even reach the age of thirteen and the smoke, gamble, drink water and suck on lollipops. Teens smoke too (both are set in the 50's though). Teens are shown drinking and driving in one scene. If the MPAA gave this a PG-13 rating, it would probably be like this My Suggested MPAA Rating: R for language, smoking, and brief violence~all involving preteens and teenagers. Violence-3/5- A dead body is shown for a few seconds with a little blood on its face (but not horribly graphic) which can disturb some people. Refferences to violent acts. Plenty of threats between the teenaged gang and the 4 twelve-year-old boys. The whole story is about finding a dead body of a lost friend. The 4 boys hold out guns while they have protection during the night. A leech attack which is mentioned that it's in a boys croutch, when he takes it out some blood drops in his hand. A few dangers. Sex-2/5- infrequent references, the F bomb is used sexually. Some innuendo. Language-3/5- very strong language, which is the main reason why this movies given the R rating. Drinking/alchahol/tobacco-4/5- alchahol and smoking competition by kids. Teens smoke. In one scene, teens are shown drinking and driving.

Kid, 11 years old August 16, 2016

Amazing! But not for all kids!

When I watched this movie, I thought wow this is awesome. But, they're are some inappropriate things in it. 1) Language. Teen boys swear and say pretty much every bad word you can think of. 2) Smoking & Drinking. Underage boys drink and smoke cigarettes. Other than that this is an amazing classic movie that teaches kids about working together as a team.

Kid, 11 years old October 15, 2016

Amazing King adaptation

My mother and I were talking about Stephen King's 'The Body' and how we couldn't find it anywhere. I found the movie adaptation 'Stand By Me' and my mom said she had seen it and I'd have to watch the movie before the book this time. I watched the movie once, then twice, until 11 P.M. I never cry during movies, but this had me balling. There was some swearing and threatening with knives and guns. There was also some moments of drunk driving and underage smoking. The movie including lots of messages of support and friendship. I would recommend this to anyone over thirteen. (Don't worry about the fact that it is Stephen King, it is NOT one of the graphic films!)

Kid, 12 years old December 21, 2013

AWSOME

It is like a growing up film.There are 4 12 year old kids who go on a adventure to find a dead kid.I have seen it and I persnaly think it is sutible for a 9 year old.AWSOME FILM THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byTeenageCritic100 June 23, 2015

An incredibly touching coming of age story that will stay with you.

Stand by Me is one of the most inspirational, touching, inquisitive, and frankly best movies I've ever seen. After first viewing, it instantly became my favorite movie and I doubt that will ever change. The four main characters - young boys - all have their share of serious problems yet manage to confront them on a two day long hike in the Oregon wilderness to find a dead body. As the four boys are all around 12 years of age, there is obviously a good deal of cursing and sexual talk. F--k is one of the most used words, along with s--t and a-s. There is some mild violence and the sight of a dead body, which may prove to be disturbing for some viewers. The young boys smoke, but it was the 50s and that was somewhat commonplace. There are some great role models and lessons to be learned. Aside from the swearing and smoking, this film is fine for any kid who can handle it - parents should use common sense - and will most likely have a good impression. I recommend Stand by Me 100%.

Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2010
It was a good movie my sister saw it even though she was not supposed to the sexual induendo will fly over little kids heads.You just have to watch out for the very strong language . Great movie all and all though

Teen, 13 years old Written bycooldude1234 November 25, 2010

great movie but definetely not for young kids

Stand by me is my new favorite movie because it has a great cast, it teaches you lessons of life and it has great depictions of friendship. But unfortunately your kids under 13 and 14 will have to wait because there is loads of language but mild for an r rated movie, there's a gruesome shot of the dead kid ray brower and the smoking drinking of young kids. There is also mature themes like child abuse which might upset your young ones so just wait for your kids to turn 13 or 14 for this movie

Teen, 13 years old Written byMyChemicalGreenPanic January 30, 2017

Heartwarming

It was an amazing movie, based off of a Stephen King book. My only problem was there was more swearing than I could count.

Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2016

Great Movie Just a lot of Cursing

i LOVE THIS MOVIE! It has a great story. i love all of the characters different personalities ! This movie really pulls you in. Its packed with adventure and laughs! Only issue and also why i gave it four stars instead of five is because it is quite inappropriate with all the cursing. The cursing unfortunately gets quiet annoying i feel like they curse every second! There are some dark parts and sad parts and a few inappropriate jokes but other wise its a great movie. I recommend that you are mature if you watch this movie.

Kid, 11 years old February 12, 2016

Beautiful tale of friendship is packed with language, innuendo; teens+

TheProBros thinks that parents should know that this is an amazing movie--but it's packed full of language and sexual references. "F--k," and "s--t," in various permutations as well as "p---y," "d--k," and "a--hole," are used in near constant proportions by kids and teens alike--each one at least ten nonchalant times, and usually accompanied by crude hand gestures. There are also two instances of the incredibly offensive homophobic swearword "f--got," both times used by kids. Kids also make blatant sexual references, and other, milder curse words like "a-s," and "b-tch," are also extremely frequent, as well as middle fingers. There's also plenty of teenage drinking and smoking, and some disturbing images of a dead kid. Overall, TheProBros thinks that Stand by Me, while it's an amazing movie, is packed with strong language, innuendo, and drinking, and is overall best for teens and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written byam1408 August 18, 2010

A VERY GOOD MOVIE BUT NOT FOR YOUNGER KIDS

EVERYBODY SHOULD SEE THIS MOVIE!

Kid, 10 years old June 1, 2017

Great film but has strong language and sexual references

The film is great but has lots of swearing like f--k s--t p-ssy ass and lots more. It has very strong sex references. It also has some violence as a dead body is shown and there are fights with guns and knifes. The children smoke frequently and some teenagers drink drive.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymarvelfreak September 29, 2016

Good film about frendship

This movie is great and has a important message. There is some swearing (unfortunately)

Teen, 13 years old Written byfoxmalmage13 June 4, 2015

Stand By Me

Stand By Me is an important movie for teenage developent, it shows themes and ideas that all teenagers have. The movie has some crude talk, heavily implied dark themes and the worst thing about the movie is probably the language.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCrosby35744 May 23, 2013

Stand By Me

Stand By Me is a great, classic film. There's lots of cursing and smoking, but an enjoyable plot and characters. Definitely not for under 11, pause for 11 and 12, but ok for 13+