Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byGrisabella June 19, 2009

Great movie adds near sex scene to push rating to PG-13

"softcore sex scene" is much closer to the truth than "characters in their underwear make out on a bed" as you state in your review. That scene was truly unnecessary to the plot of the movie, as Kirk's womanizing ways are established all through the film over and over. I really loved the movie, I just get annoyed when they throw stuff like this in just to push their rating to a PG-13 to get teens to see it.
Adult Written bysarahkay89 November 17, 2010

Exciting movie. Good for adults or teens, not children

Great movie, but I'm sorta a Trekkie at heart anyway. Some violence and one inappropriate "groping" scene with Kirk and a green woman. Overall I thought it was well done. Would not should it to my kids, but teens are okay.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byonly trying to help April 12, 2010

Bad for kids and teens

Too violet for all kids and teens
Parent of a 6, 12, and 14 year old Written byccmmum May 30, 2009

Mostly Great!

Great movie with one unnessary scene with Kirk and a green girl, of course. Looking forward to the sequal!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum June 14, 2009

A family success! (from grandpa down to 7yr.-old)

The whole family saw this together - aged 64 to seven! We all enjoyed it. It's a bit too sophisticaed for the youngest viewer, but as a parent I wasn't too concerned about any particular content. My son was entertained, and I think even gleaned a good lesson or two. The best aspect was sharing this movie as a family! You can see me review this movie with my father, at www.youtube.com/gabndad
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 15, 2012

Really cool!

This is an AWESOME movie! It is very funny and cool! YEAHUHH!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 11, 2011

Not your father's "Star Trek" ... but respects it

While not especially graphic, there's enough PG-13-ish sex (some kissing in underwear) and violence (murder and torture in quick, but unmistakable, glimpses) in this movie to make it generally inappropriate for under 12. Plot-wise, it's actually kind of an uninspired sci-fi with time-travel mumbo-jumbo and space ships with inexplicably leaky pipes. Where this movie excels is in its cast and characters. I yawned through the phaser battles, but got goosebumps when Kirk and Spock were arguing on the bridge. The writers and director really understand why the world loves these characters, and the new group of young actors perfectly echo the famous original performances yet bring something fresh to each one. That's no small trick, and makes this a satisfying movie for fans and non-fans alike. I can imagine how a new generation of teens will come to think of this Enterprise crew as their own, and their parents will feel like their beloved old show has not be exploited but invigorated.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byXxSpockxX May 20, 2010

Awesome

One of the best movies ever. Spock is pretty awesome. And so what if there is a couple in bed WITH UNDERGARMETS on. It's not like a 10 year old hasn't seen two people kiss. But as I said earlier Best Movie Ever!!!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byCBeth December 22, 2009

Great Star Trek Movie!

LOVED IT!!!! As a lifelong ST fan, I think this is one of the best (possibly the best) of the movies. It´s very hard to pull off, resurrecting well-known and well-loved characters, and it really worked. My son enjoyed it, although the plot was a little complicated and it was good to see it on DVD so we could stop and explain things. Didn´t love some of the extended fisticuffs scenes. The "intimate" scene was nothing, lasting a few nanoseconds, and it pretty much went over my kid´s head -- it seems that some parents are making much ado about nothing. It´s generally a good vs evil type plot and perhaps could be used as a jumping off point to talk about similar things that have really happened in the world (probably for somewhat older kids). As for adults -- enjoy1
Parent of a 5 year old Written byTrebuchet November 19, 2009

Exciting, fun, and worthy of the show

(spoilers) I loved the movie, and look forward to owning it on DVD, but it will be a while before my daughter is allowed to watch it. My main concern is when Vulcan gets destroyed. It was a great part of the plot, well written, and the special effects were great. As a lifelong fan of Star Trek, I also found it heart-rending. But I don't think my daughter needs to confront the idea of genocide until she is much older.
Educator and Parent of a 11, 12, 12, 12, and 12 year old Written byagmommie September 9, 2010
Love it perfect for almost any kid
Parent of a 15 year old Written byRandomUser August 27, 2010

Great movie

Star Trek really reinforces the messages sent out by the earlier movies and series, that is, do what's right even if some higher authority says it's wrong. Great plot. Family favorite.
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byroxxay February 11, 2010
Parent of a 5 year old Written bypaulgibbons December 11, 2009

excellent for

exciting, well acted, well written... talk to your kid about anger, revenge, risk, ambition and conflict... very positive...
Parent of a 6, 9, and 9 year old Written byginam5 June 24, 2009

Okay for my 6 and 9 year olds - but had to cover their eyes a few times.

Great film overall. What to watch for: Kirk gets drunk & has a bar fight; Kirk and a green woman in bra/panties fooling around in bed; mild violence. The only other alert I would give is the annoying Disney-like trend to start the movie with a shocking grief-filled death scene. (Think Nemo).
Educator Written byMychemicalstinkpants February 24, 2011

instant classic has some violence

f@ck is used once and lots of sci fi violence like a grusome bug scene
Parent Written byalovell July 15, 2010

a fun sci-fi resurrection of the Star Trek series

We saw it in the theatre, and it was enjoyable for teens. There is quite a bit of tense action, some disrespect for authority, some drinking to excess, some sexual content near the beginning. There is also some bad science, but that is often the case in sci-fi movies... The plot had several twists that kept it interesting, and space travel is always fun.
Adult Written byMovie Man November 13, 2009

Words Cannot Describe How Entertaining this Film is!

Now, I am not a fan of the Star Trek series... at all. In fact, I don't even like this series. But this looked like a new start for the series; frankly, it looked awesome. So when I went, I was in for a huge surprise; it wasn't just better, it was absolutely fantastic! I loved it! It was original, thrilling, and funny! PARENTS: Although practically bloodless, it is quite intense with major battles and some frightening creature images. It also has a brief sexual encounter (no nudity). Thanks for reading, and please rent or even buy this film; it's a real treat! - Movie Man
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycinderellamom May 30, 2009
My daughter is eight and she really liked this movie. We introduced her to the fantasy/sci fi genre at a young age because she never had an issue with nightmares or being scared. Star Trek is a great movie. It's fun, action-packed and not really scary. The adult situations are not intense and are for comic effect.
Adult Written byStephanie Walton May 7, 2009

Make the Trek!

This movie is a fun, light, and action-packed adventure through space with well-acted characters and all the elements (and lines!) that made the original Star Trek series the pop culture icon it is today. There are some bloody fist fights and violent battles in space but overall the movie has pretty clean language, not a lot of sex, and good-hearted characters. A lot of fun, and definitely one I'd recommend to sci-fi and action fans alike.