All parent member reviews for Stardust

Adult Written byUncle Festorkian April 13, 2010

Stardust. Our Family's Favorite.

I saw this movie twice in the theatres with friends and with my family. I watched it with my parents (who are very old-fashioned) and never once felt uncomfortable. This is a bit more violent than The Princess Bride but I think just as classic with a great mix of action, romance, and clean comedy. Awesome movie, don't rent it, just buy it.
Parent of a 5 and 11 year old Written byWife-mother-law... May 14, 2011

Break the rules for this PG 13 movie: it's PG 11.

It's a lot of fun. My just shy of 11 year old has only seen one other PG13 movie: Harry Potter IV. This was more fun and the violence was far less serious. (We don't regret H.P. IV - though sometimes we feel like the only parents in the world who have tried to pace our child - she read it and was ready. Just. But this movie was totally fun and fine as the violence was silly. The one night stand resulting in pregnancy required the pause button, but we try to turn those awkward moments into opportunities. If your willing to help with unraveling the fun and fast paced plot and also talk about the violence and sex, this is a great movie to break the PG 13 rule on.
Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written byEzri_B April 9, 2008

Wonderful Grownup fairy tale

This was a wonderful movie, but it's really a grown ups fairy tale. I put it in league with the Labyrinth or Legend. It is beautiful, intellegent, creative, and magical. There is some violence. The killing of animals to see the future for instance is a bit gross, you don't see it, but you know it's happening. Overall it's great, but more for the older child and adults.
Adult Written byProudParent10160 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymaedhros April 9, 2008

Oh Come On...

Yes, there's a bit of magic and playful--note that, playful--violence, but overall a very good movie for children 9 and up. It teaches good morals about how to handle the world and what should be important.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 23, 2012

Epic movie!

This movie was epic! It was action packed and REALLY funny! I recomend Stardust.
Educator Written byArginnon March 20, 2012

Just fun!

I think this is what all movies should be like. Fun, entertaining, not only for kids, but good for them too, clever plot, characters we can care about. I'd recommend it highly!
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byjanetjam June 23, 2010

Can be OK for 8 year olds; when in doubt, pre-view it yourself

My entire family enjoyed this movie. We saw it when our kids were 8 and 12 years old; we needed to help the 8 year old unravel some of the plot, but she wasn't scared by the violence (which was not very realistic, anyway). Robert deNiro's character opened up a discussion about the image we project to the world vs. who we really are and he was so fun to watch! My younger daughter still considers this 1 of her favorite movies (me, too). We like that they get into deep issues (love, loyalty, not judging people by their appearance) and the humor is intelligent.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bydandy June 3, 2010

stardust

I love this movie for myself but my should not be watching it! The language is mild (d**n, h**l, and idolt). But I must say it's a great movie! It has strong violence I must say. This is just as violent as The Mummy. Lots of kisses.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 12 year old Written byjjmmwgdp May 27, 2010

I really liked it a lot. My 6-yr-old was able to handle the gore and witches, but not all small children would. Didnt like the casual treatment of sex outside marriage, effeminacy, and killing (lot of that). However, none of these is flaunted, either, and do seem germane to the story. Furthermore there were a lot of humorous parts, clever plot twists and good basic messages: Dont confuse love and infatuation, care about your fellow man, do what is right even when it is hard, etc.
Adult Written byMovie Man August 17, 2009

Outstanding, Original, and Oscar-Worthy!

This is an excellent, totally-original film. I loved it! I am a big fan of fantasy, and this is a masterpiece among fantasy films. The cast is great, including a surprising twist from Robeert DeNiro's characrter (trust me, you'll laugh yourself silly). And for those who need action to keep their interest, there are some cool fantasy action seuqences, especially the climax. This is a funny, touching, somewhat dark fantasy adventure with a solid opening, an intense, well-paced middle, and a wonderful ending. Magnificent!
Parent of a 8, 13, and 16 year old Written byPatDaugherty July 27, 2009

Great for the whole family, young to old.

Characters are killed throughout, but in a tongue-in-cheek way. Generally they remain in the story as wounded ghosts, representative of their means of death (e.g. flattened side of face from a fall to death) which is actually funny, and in one aspect assuring to children that they really aren't dead, this was just for fun. the film has lots of talent and very high production values, very enjoyable for the whole family, which is hard to find these days. No more disturbing than any other fairy tale, my 8 year old enjoyed it, highly recommended.
Adult Written byKatster July 10, 2009

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009

Adult Written byoncethrown April 9, 2008

Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Extremely creative

I would have to say that this is the most interesting and creatice movie I have ever seen. I really, really enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be a dumb romance, but it wasn't. There is really not all that much romance, and what there is is made up for by the great plot. I laughed histerically at Robert DeNiro, and Michelle Pfieffer was great, she did a wonderful job. The killing of animals to tell the future was a bit gross, and the violence was actually quite scary at times, so it's a definite 12 and up movie. This is an extremely enjoyable movie, and great to watch with your kids.
Adult Written bywilsons1998 April 9, 2008

Probably one of the most entertaining movies of the last few years!

This was a GREAT movie. Definitely not for younger children (it is PG-13 after all). My husband and I saw it on a date and absolutely loved it. This is perfect for fantasy and fairy tale lovers. The characters and story line were really fun, the actors were amazing, and the music was great. Even though there is some fantasy violence, it is handled really well. The "murders" are actually quite funny, partially because the victims show up as ghosts and are still very much a part of the movie (takes the seriousness out of the murders and makes them more fantasy like). It is a great romance and has some fun humor- overall a very entertaining movie.
Adult Written byenviroart April 9, 2008

Fantastic fantasy adventure!! A little too violent for kids.

I LOVED this movie! My mother, who is 60, and rarely impressed by any movie, saw it twice in two days. I was very surprised by the violence and was glad that my sister, mother, and I screened it before inviting the kids. This is one that I may rent for my older children, but not for the big screen. The murders are presented in a humorous way, but murder is not funny in real life, and kids need to be old enough to understand that. The throat slitting scene was played down a bit with the blood being blue. Not seeing red blood kept it from being gorey, and reminded us that this is only fantasy. There is some cross dressing that was hilarous, but I know would have sparked lots of questions from my nephew, which we should be prepared to discuss. The adventure was fun and the lead characters wonderful and honest.
Adult Written byfr0stedshad0w April 9, 2008

It was amazing!

This movie was simply amazing. The actors did wonderful jobs portraying their characters. There is a little innuendo in this movie. Also, the violence factor is kind of big for little kids. People lose their heads, have their throats slit...things like that. But, the language is good and it's just a fun movie.
Adult Written byGerard1 April 9, 2008