Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for StarStruck

Modern Cinderella story is clean musical fun for tweens.

Adult Written byandeverythingnice February 1, 2011

No good female role models.

A clean, fluffy, cornball movie that is appropriate for most kids, in the typical Disney fashion. However, I do NOT agree that the lead female character (Jessica, played by newcomer Danielle Campbell) is in any way a good role model. She is condescending towards her older sister, Sara, and shows almost zero sisterly affection or understanding for her celebrity obsession. It's perfectly normal for young girls to have their celebrity crushes, as long as they don't go overboard. I would sooner worry about girls who are "haters" and make fun of other people's hobbies or passions. The stereotypical portrayal of the "crazed fan" is getting so old. What's more disturbing however, is the way Jessica exhibits an extreme level of rudeness to a total stranger, famous pop star "Christopher Wilde" (played by Sterling Knight), on whom she passes every cliche judgment without bothering to get to know him first. He's good looking, rich and famous so he MUST be a jerk--right? Sometimes she is downright cruel, telling Christopher that his life is "fake", which is why he is not worth befriending. Eventually Jessica comes around and gives him a chance to prove his "realness", but her default behavior is unacceptable. Teaching kids to automatically latch onto the worst in people is the reason why they grow up with such cynicism and angst. I don't think any parent would wish for a daughter like Jessica, who showed unreasonable hostility towards a boy who was only trying to do the right thing by her (ex. bringing her to the hospital when he accidentally hurt her). Furthermore, the underage girls in this movie also engage in irresponsible behavior which would have disastrous repercussions in the real world. Going out to clubs, walking in dark alleys alone, and getting into a car with a stranger?! In HOLLYWOOD no less, just about the worst place for kids to pull those stunts. Positive side: Sterling Knight is a fairly talented actor who does well with the teeny-bopper material he's given. He is the only reason I watched this in the first place, but I hope in the future he's given roles that are less shallow or slapstick. I enjoyed his singing, especially the song, "Hero".

Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byThe Glazers June 30, 2010

Good for older kids

its ok its not so bad I think that it has a little to much of the kissing thing you see I am onley seven so I don't no as much so I think that it is ok for a 14 or 15 but I don't no about eight years old? But I wolud say yes if you were judging it for yes or no I wolud say for age ten and up I wolud say yes.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byStephanie_M June 2, 2010

My daughter still watches the disney channel

They still have some great movies!!!

Parent Written byLovingDadandMom February 23, 2014

Appropriate for preteens

It had a little romance but nothing inappropriate. No kisses or hugs. One hand holding screen. Cute movie about how fame can warp reality and how normal people cannot imagine the glass houses Hollywood cane bring. A great message in terms of honestly is best always.

Adult Written bygoodgirl June 22, 2015

I very much enjoyed this movie.

I thought this was a really good Disney movie. I know the girl is dramatic and moody but that was her character and she got along with the cute teen pop star. The movie proves not everyone loves Chris Wilde like Jessica Olsen who was just an ordinary girl. Its a cute movie and I have the dvd. a cute movie I enjoyed.

Adult Written byHollyAnne September 5, 2014

Cute and squeaky-clean

I watched this movie with my younger sisters and actually really enjoyed it. It's not an original concept by any means, but it's still charming. Normal, "underdog," secretly-awesome girl is teased at school/ pushed around by sister/etc until she meets a super famous guy who recognizes how awesome she is. Promotes honesty, loyalty, and being true to yourself. Sterling Knight's character has more depth than the female lead, who was just kind of annoyed at everyone the whole time. There are no content issues-- no language, no violence, the main characters *nearly* kiss once or twice but that's it. It's not a super-amazing-high-quality-must-see kind of movie, but it's cute, wholesome, and oddly appealing. Good for tweens.

Adult Written bycaffinegirl85 October 27, 2011

loved it!!!

this movie was nice wow a true Diseny movie it really is i love the song Something About The Sunshine nice!!! and the girl actor is really pretty very pretty Sterling Knight is very cute nice Diseny movie !

Parent of a 7 year old Written byolgag August 17, 2010

great for tweens

Parent of a 8 year old Written byRickyndmorgan July 1, 2010

I see no problems with any age

Just like all other Disney movies I think this one is a good movie for any aged kid that wants to watch it. I see nothing wrong with this movie

Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byGatorSquatch March 6, 2010

Perfect for families of all ages

A very good family movie with strong positive messages for girls. The message is to be yourself and not being fake. Great morals with actions have consequences. Sterling Knight and Danielle Campbell have great chemistry and both portray wholesome innocence. The music is fantastice, my 6 year old can't stop listening to the songs.I highly recommend for families.

Parent of a 4, 8, 11, 12, and 13 year old Written byHOTMOM678 February 22, 2010

Adult Written bydvdgirl May 25, 2018

one Disney movie i enjoy.

a celebrity that just wants a normal life and a normal girl that doesn't see all the fame . the two meet. a good movie teaches you how being famous is all that. cute movie to.

Adult Written byAshley F. March 4, 2018

Great movie

Its funny and sweet! The music is good and its cute and its clean and such a great inspiration it actually helped me through some of my depression

Parent of a 11 year old Written by[email protected] June 9, 2011

great movie!

a very good enjoyable movie very much liked it great for children and adults love the ending when he sings what you mean to me to Jessica wow the girl who played Jessica Danelle Campbell is really beautiful she did a nice job as the main girl and Sterling Knight he to did a cool job as Christopher Wilde really nice diseny movie i enjoyed it very much!