Educator and Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byconnielove93 November 2, 2011

Steam on the Rise!

Beautiful movie about the role of science in war. Steamboy is breathtakingly detailed and ambitious beyond anything I have ever seen in the realm of animation!! I woud put it in the category of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I am very critical of movies and their content and I would say the storyline and characters are good and well-developed. Some say otherwise, but the renowned Spirited Away has almost a non-existant plotline, it's purpose was for entertainment. This is true for Steamboy also, the plot is not as fantastic as it could be but it is obvious the creators took their time during the nine-year drawing and computer-generating process. This has become an instant classic in our household as it will be in yours.
Adult Written bythinkingfather July 18, 2010

Tough, Intense, Insightful and Discussion required with a mature tween or a teen.

Visually a stunning movie with a very well developed viewpoint against the use of science as a war mongering tool by anyone. The movie has many intense moments and conflicts between the two father and son relationships culminating with one father attempting to kill his son. Not sure how it differs from the Star Wars Trilogy with Darth Vader attempting to kill his son over the length of 3 movies. Personally it created a great amount of dialog about father/son conflicts and human morals between myself and my 10 year old son. I found it more positive and overall less disturbing of a movie for a tween than most of the Star Wars movies and the Tolkien Trilogy. However, it did require a bit of explaining and discussion, which is also good.